Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Starting out, Job hunting from the UK to SC

Starting out, Job hunting from the UK to SC

Old Apr 7th 2016, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting out, Job hunting from the UK to SC

Originally Posted by iandallimore
I wholeheartedly agree with this...
You shouldn't, because he's a fool.

Ian
Old Apr 7th 2016, 1:17 pm
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
For many people, it is the only way they can be together... therefore, it can and should be used - because that's the whole reason behind the visa.

Would you please elaborate on what you believe are the "right reasons". I'm genuinely curious because...

... it might interest you to know, that divorce statistics show no significant difference whatsoever between couples who marry for immigration reasons and couples where immigration is not an issue. Indeed the length of time between meeting and marriage also shows no significant difference. So, it doesn't matter how long you know someone, or whether or not the marriage is rushed.

In other words - this is some sort of fantasy that exists only in your own head!

Ian
As the op agrees with me, I think the points I make are more than valid regardless of what you think. The forum being a community of expats, many of whom emigrated to the US through marriage to an American, it's not surprising everyone recommends this as the best or easiest way of emigrating to the US but there is another side that seldom gets thrown into the mix and that's why I said what I did

As for the rules surrounding immigration, the ability for a US citizen to bring a foreign spouse to the US is there to enable families to stay together, it was not designed as a loop hole for couples who've been together for 5 minutes to circumvent the rules, especially when they wouldn't even be considering marriage this early into the relationship if they didn't need to for a visa
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themadpooper
.... As for the rules surrounding immigration, the ability for a US citizen to bring a foreign spouse to the US is there to enable families to stay together, it was not designed as a loop hole for couples who've been together for 5 minutes to circumvent the rules, .....
Who the hëll do you think you are to determine who has a valid relationship?

Add a few "ifs" and "mays", "somes" and "manys" to your posts, and stop your absolute sweeping generalizations and your advice would be much better received and you would appear less arrogant.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Stuck in a foreign country with few if any friends, no family and potentially not enough money to support yourself (you won't be entitled to housing or welfare and healthcare isn't free). Think about it
It would be no different if he came for a job or course of study and it all fell apart (and yes, that does happen). Whatever route the OP chooses, he is still giving up his home, friends, country -- and crossing his fingers that it works out.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:21 pm
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Who the hëll do you think you are to determine who has a valid relationship?

Add a few "ifs" and "mays", "somes" and "manys" to your posts, and stop your absolute sweeping generalizations and your advice would be much better received and you would appear less arrogant.
The op agreed with me

Perhaps you should slag him off as well
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

iandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond repute

The op agreed with me

I'd rather not get dragged in to that taa. I just agreed it'd be nice to spend some time with my OH before cementing the idea to get married. Personal preference, some people are different.

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It would be no different if he came for a job or course of study and it all fell apart (and yes, that does happen). Whatever route the OP chooses, he is still giving up his home, friends, country -- and crossing his fingers that it works out.
as above. Whatever I do there's an inherent risk. If I spend time with her prior to making a more long-term decision or not frankly.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The op agreed with me

He's receiving advice, not giving it. You have developed a habit of posting sweeping, not universally true, generalizations in your presumably well-intentioned advice.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by iandallimore
.... I just agreed it'd be nice to spend some time with my OH before cementing the idea to get married. Personal preference, some people are different.
An entirely fair point and one I respect and agree with at your age. My post above on marriage did draw a distinction on age.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We ALL agree that no one should use and abuse the marriage visa to immigrate. That's illegal. However, this is not the OP's scenario, and no one here is pushing him to marry before they're ready.

I think the OP has enough information now. If there are further questions, a new thread should be started in the appropriate forum.

Thread closed.

Rene