Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Starting out, Job hunting from the UK to SC

Starting out, Job hunting from the UK to SC

Old Apr 6th 2016, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

iandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting out, Job hunting from the UK to SC

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're younger than I was when I met and married Mrs P, so I understand you not wanting to leap into marriage, but when we married we had spent only six weeks together, over the preceding 18 months, of which one was the week immediately before we got married. I am not the only on in BE who successfully made that leap.

Time spent living together is a very poor predictor of successful marriage, and in fact the dramatic increase in cohabitation over the past 50 years has seen an equally dramatic rise in the divorce rate.
I agree, though it is not my decision, simply respecting hers for personal reasons relating to seeing failed "rushed" marriages in the past.

Either way if I were to apply to a B2 I'd have to tell them I had a USC girlfriend and that's who I'd have to state where I was living with...
Old Apr 6th 2016, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iandallimore
... if I were to apply to a B2 I'd have to tell them I had a USC girlfriend...
Actually, no... you don't.

... and that's who I'd have to state where I was living with.
Again, no - you just need to give them an address... you aren't obligated to disclose a relationship.

I'll reiterate what Pulaski has said... if you're eligible to use the VWP, your chances of getting a B-2 are slim. There's a larger issue, though. Yes - if the B-2 is denied, then ESTA will also be denied for some long period of time and you'll be unable to travel... but there's more to it than that. That B-2 denial will follow you around for the rest of your life. You must declare it on every subsequent US visa application (including ESTA) that you make. It won't necessarily stop you from getting a visa, but you may find yourself having to explain it over and over again.

Ian
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

iandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond repute

Okay sure, I understand that now, and the risks associated with it, thank you guys.

Now it may seem I'm clutching at straws or going round in circles, but I promise it's not, these are all just options down a checklist in my head, exhausting them one by one haha.

I'm also a competitive powerlifter, and looking to potentially become a qualified personal trainer. Would a class such as this be suitable for a J-1 study visa? This would give me time to live with the other half, study something I very much enjoy, gain a certification, and maybe even give me the chance to compete too.

Thanks guys and cheers for bearing with hahah

Last edited by iandallimore; Apr 6th 2016 at 6:26 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also a competitive powerlifter, and looking to potentially become a qualified personal trainer. Would a class such as this be suitable for a J-1 study visa?
A friend told me recently that to qualify as a Crossfit trainer it's a weekend course, no prior experience necessary. Reminds me of the tax guys at H&R Block who have done a weekend course too, no prior experienced needed. I wouldn't get my taxes done at H&R Block, I wouldn't go to a Crossfit gym.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
A friend told me recently that to qualify as a Crossfit trainer it's a weekend course, no prior experience necessary. Reminds me of the tax guys at H&R Block who have done a weekend course too, no prior experienced needed. I wouldn't get my taxes done at H&R Block, I wouldn't go to a Crossfit gym.
God you mentioned Crossfit to a powerlifter, brave man
Old Apr 6th 2016, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Would a class such as this be suitable for a J-1 study visa?
If you don't mind, I'm going to cut to the chase here. We have seen many young people such as you who have a USC love interest but, for one reason or another, aren't yet ready to commit to marriage. The result: endless permutations on a theme all devised to side-step the only obvious choice available and pursue every other course of action because they're desperate to get to the US to be with their loved one.

In your first post you noted, "We've made the decision very recently that it's time for me to immigrate..." but it seems that "we" made the decision without any thought of how to actually immigrate. Your choices, excepting the obvious marriage route, are limited to your skill set and education - and, with respect, they seem unimpressive at this point in time.

I understand the opportunity you want to pursue... but consider this - your young lady wants you to give up everything, move to a new country, buy into a new culture and lifestyle, and face any number of issues because she wants what's most convenient for her without giving up anything herself. So, let me ask you - what do you get out of this lopsided equation? Don't kid yourself into thinking she's not getting everything for nothing... because she is! Would she be willing to move to the UK to be with you? If the answer is "no" you need to ask yourself why! Has she ever been to the UK? Has she ever been outside of South Carolina? If she wants to live together, she can visit the UK for 6 months without a visa; while you only get 90 days in the US without a visa.

Ian
Old Apr 6th 2016, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you don't mind, I'm going to cut to the chase here. We have seen many young people such as you who have a USC love interest but, for one reason or another, aren't yet ready to commit to marriage. The result: endless permutations on a theme all devised to side-step the only obvious choice available and pursue every other course of action because they're desperate to get to the US to be with their loved one.

In your first post you noted, "We've made the decision very recently that it's time for me to immigrate..." but it seems that "we" made the decision without any thought of how to actually immigrate. Your choices, excepting the obvious marriage route, are limited to your skill set and education - and, with respect, they seem unimpressive at this point in time.

I understand the opportunity you want to pursue... but consider this - your young lady wants you to give up everything, move to a new country, buy into a new culture and lifestyle, and face any number of issues because she wants what's most convenient for her without giving up anything herself. So, let me ask you - what do you get out of this lopsided equation? Don't kid yourself into thinking she's not getting everything for nothing... because she is! Would she be willing to move to the UK to be with you? If the answer is "no" you need to ask yourself why! Has she ever been to the UK? Has she ever been outside of South Carolina? If she wants to live together, she can visit the UK for 6 months without a visa; while you only get 90 days in the US without a visa.

Ian
Unsure how this relates to questions asked regarding Visas, but if it's personal details you're after then fine. I'll openly admit yes, there is a small theme to sidestepping here, but none of which were completely blasé. I hope to study more in the future, I'd love to become a certified personal trainer (in fact, a REPS qualification and certification here is circa £2500 including training, whilst nigh-on all certifications in the US are below $1000), and I certainly would love the experience of volunteering - I see them more as extensions of my goals simply. Get in to the US just for a period long enough to cement a relationship and do one of the above? Two birds one stone.

I think it's fair to have a conversation with the outcome of "okay I'll come to the US", at which point the "how" started to come in to effect, hence this thread, I'm pretty sure there was a time when other people on this forum knew nothing and started to look in to it much as I am.

She would be willing to move, but with her plans it doesn't currently line up as well as mine, in fact it suits my plans much better. Like you said I have an "unimpressive" record when it comes to education and work, therefore I have less to give up frankly. I simply don't plan to spend the next 40 years of my life in Essex in the same position, its boring. Love interest aside, I visited the US and within a number of weeks was saying "I can really see myself living here".

Yes been to the UK. Yes been outside of SC. She'd also have to give up a lot, including a potential college position to come here for six months, I simply have the more flexibility - it's my entry method that's simply holding me back, hence the ask for advice from people who have been through it and have more knowledge than myself (i.e. I would have never known the dangers of applying for a B-2 visa if it were not for this thread). I hope I'm not being unreasonable because I certainly don't feel as though I am.

Last edited by iandallimore; Apr 6th 2016 at 9:06 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 9:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your goals and ambition are completely reasonable. The problem is, US Immigrating doesn't fit very well with the reasonable plans and ideas.

So far, from what you've been saying, my advice is to continue the long distance relationship until you both feel ready to make the commitment to marriage (i.e., no living together first, except the VWP visits), or until your skills improve enough to get a work visa, or until you find a course of study and get an F-1 visa.

I personally would think that a couple of lengthy VWP visits would give you guys enough in-person experience to decide if you want to marry or not. So, figure on making two VWP trips during the next year (not back to back trips. ..stay out longer than you were in), with a tentative plan to immigrate based on marriage in mid 2017 or so.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 6th 2016 at 10:01 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

I hope to study more in the future...
There are lots of colleges and universities in and around Charleston. Perhaps an F-1 visa would be a more practical approach. Two birds, one stone!

Ian
Old Apr 7th 2016, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

PeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond repute

Some brilliant advice and reality here.

Take all of it in and ask yourself what lies behind it. USA and new life or her. Either is fine with eyes open.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

2. Temporary work visa would be for something seasonal, usually, such as ski instructor or crop picker. Probably not something you want to do.
Seasonal worker visas (H2-B) are also used for restaurant and hotel workers in tourist areas. Here's an example. If you want to go to SC, maybe look for something on the coast?

- Eric S.

Last edited by Eric S; Apr 7th 2016 at 2:28 am.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 6:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There are lots of colleges and universities in and around Charleston. Perhaps an F-1 visa would be a more practical approach. Two birds, one stone!

Ian
Honestly this is my thought currently, though costs for a 4 year degree are very high. I'm hoping to find a shorter, more affordable course (i.e. a personal training certification, like i have found at the local Community College, once I've sat an exam for certification I believe this will grant me 15 CEU credits, making it liable for an F-1 visa?) to do on a shorter term, then giving me the chance to live with her for some time.

She's happy to obtain a Visa through marriage, just once we've had some time under our belt living together. Once we've done this, I imagine the costs of studying would fall quite dramatically as a PR and i can take on a full degree.

Seasonal work is also a shout, thanks for that.

Appreciate the good advice in here.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 11:04 am
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

I've got an alternative point of view to the consensus on this thread, marriage should only be used to cement a long term relationship you envisage lasting forever. It should not be used as a convenient way to emigrate to the US

The op, while having completely legitimate aspirations, should only enter into marriage for the right reasons because coming over here all cock-a-hoop and then finding yourself stuck in a marriage you no longer want to be in 6 months down the line isn't something that is beyond the realms of possibility for a couple rushing into marriage for immigration purposes

I would strongly urge the op to take this advice on board and consider what happens if he were to go ahead with a hastily arranged marriage and then find it all goes pear shaped shortly afterwards. Stuck in a foreign country with few if any friends, no family and potentially not enough money to support yourself (you won't be entitled to housing or welfare and healthcare isn't free). Think about it

Good luck
Old Apr 7th 2016, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by themadpooper
I've got an alternative point of view to the consensus on this thread, marriage should only be used to cement a long term relationship you envisage lasting forever. It should not be used as a convenient way to emigrate to the US

The op, while having completely legitimate aspirations, should only enter into marriage for the right reasons because coming over here all cock-a-hoop and then finding yourself stuck in a marriage you no longer want to be in 6 months down the line isn't something that is beyond the realms of possibility for a couple rushing into marriage for immigration purposes

I would strongly urge the op to take this advice on board and consider what happens if he were to go ahead with a hastily arranged marriage and then find it all goes pear shaped shortly afterwards. Stuck in a foreign country with few if any friends, no family and potentially not enough money to support yourself (you won't be entitled to housing or welfare and healthcare isn't free). Think about it

Good luck
I wholeheartedly agree with this, hence why I think it's fairly vital to spend time living together prior to cementing a marriage. Marriage between the two of us was mentioned because we want to be with each other and stay with each other, rather than an entry to the country.

Though all this information is very very helpful. The more I look in to it, I think it will just come down to VWP visits, which is a shame because that limits me to just 3 months rather than 6, though on the bright side this is still long enough to certify as a personal trainer (course is only 7 weeks long, meaning if it did qualify on a J visa, i'd have to leave after that), and without this forum I would have gone straight for a B2 visa and probably lost all chance of seeing the girlfriend for a very extended period of time.

Last edited by iandallimore; Apr 7th 2016 at 12:05 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by themadpooper
It should not be used as a convenient way to emigrate to the US.
For many people, it is the only way they can be together... therefore, it can and should be used - because that's the whole reason behind the visa.

The op, while having completely legitimate aspirations, should only enter into marriage for the right reasons...
Would you please elaborate on what you believe are the "right reasons". I'm genuinely curious because...

... coming over here all cock-a-hoop and then finding yourself stuck in a marriage you no longer want to be in 6 months down the line isn't something that is beyond the realms of possibility for a couple rushing into marriage for immigration purposes
... it might interest you to know, that divorce statistics show no significant difference whatsoever between couples who marry for immigration reasons and couples where immigration is not an issue. Indeed the length of time between meeting and marriage also shows no significant difference. So, it doesn't matter how long you know someone, or whether or not the marriage is rushed.

In other words - this is some sort of fantasy that exists only in your own head!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.