Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Starting out, Job hunting from the UK to SC

Starting out, Job hunting from the UK to SC

Old Mar 28th 2016, 10:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting out, Job hunting from the UK to SC

This isn't a baptism of fire. .... We reserve that for people dreaming of moving to Orlando!
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:02 am
Just Joined

iandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond repute

Okay guys,

I've gone away, looked in to it a little more and had some conversations with my SO, and we're looking at some options.

Fully aware I'm not going to just fall in to a job, that's off the table. Unfortunately so is Marriage until we've had experience of living together at least - I respect that decision from her and can totally see where she's coming from, even if it does make it a pain in the ass and a little harder. So now I have a couple options:

Go to school, study in a good field and get a full bachelors degree which I'd be unlikely to do here - I believe this would put me in good stead for employment within the US later on after marrying and becoming a PR. Live with her during this time (it'd make it incredibly cheap in terms of living costs), in fact we'll probably be going to the same college since she is hoping to start this or next year.

Visit for 6 months/ as long as I am allowed to on just a visitors VISA. Do some training programs i'm interested in out there (not creditted), maybe some volunteering, etc etc.

Try to find a temporary work visa, do some basic work in the US for a number of months and then go from there. Hopefully the latter two will give me and her enough time and experience of living together to know what we want to do as our next step.

All of which require me to take a sabbatical from work and save a crazy amount of money but i'm fine with that. So, please shoot down each idea as you see fit!

Last edited by iandallimore; Apr 6th 2016 at 6:06 am.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do Ford's give sabbaticals?

90 days max on VWP, a bit less to be safe.

What temporary work visa?

Have you approached the Uni to find out International Student Fees?
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Coming to the USA on an F1 student visa is probably your best option. You will need to prove you can fund your studies. Just so you know, it will probably not be in your favor to have a USC gitlfriend.

2. Temporary work visa would be for something seasonal, usually, such as ski instructor or crop picker. Probably not something you want to do.

3. You can stay less than 90 days per trip as a visitor. Don't make back to back trips. Stay outside the USA longer than you were inside.

Rene
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:49 am
Just Joined

iandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond reputeiandallimore has a reputation beyond repute

Ford give sabbaticals of up to 4 years after being employed for a minimum of 3, perfectly possible for me to obtain one, and decide my fate with the company later down the line.

Was probably thinking about obtaining a visitors visa, is this not 6 months visit with the possibility of extending?

Only just started looking in to studying, calling the two colleges in charleston today with regard to computer science courses. Or as said, seasonal work of sort.

So would it be best not to mention the gf if applying for study or visitor visas? Or just be open and honest?

Last edited by iandallimore; Apr 6th 2016 at 8:09 am.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 7:07 am
Account Closed

VWP or Student Visa if you can afford it are your options.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 12:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
VWP or Student Visa if you can afford it are your options.
And to the OP's point about a visitor visa, that isn't a realistic option because anyone who is eligible for the VWP is unlikely to be given a visitor's visa unless they are retired.

If you apply for a visitor's visa and are rejected, it will be at least 6 months, and quite possibly 12 months, or longer, before an ESTA will be approved.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And to the OP's point about a visitor visa, that isn't a realistic option because anyone who is eligible for the VWP is unlikely to be given a visitor's visa unless they are retired.

If you apply for a visitor's visa and are rejected, it will be at least 6 months, and quite possibly 12 months, or longer, before an ESTA will be approved.
OH I see, thanks for this. I currently have an ESTA and have been using it to visit in the past, but wasn't aware I'd be unable to obtain a B visa
Old Apr 6th 2016, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

I'm struggling a little with the most recent point actually, i.e. why I would not be able to apply for a B-2 visa and stay for 6 months/ over 90 days? as the US website states:

Travelers who are eligible for the VWP may apply for a visitor (B) visa, if they prefer to do so. If you do not meet all of the criteria explained in this webpage, then you must apply for a visa. Additionally, you need to apply for a visa if you will be traveling on a private aircraft or other non-VWP approved air or sea carrier. Review the approved carriers list. Also, if you intend to extend your stay beyond 90 days or change your status once in the United States (for example, you intend to request change of status to student or temporary worker, etc.), then you need to apply for a visa.
Therefore I should be able to apply for a B2, correct?
Old Apr 6th 2016, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

You can certainly apply.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 2:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iandallimore
I'm struggling a little with the most recent point actually, i.e. why I would not be able to apply for a B-2 visa and stay for 6 months/ over 90 days? as the US website states:

Therefore I should be able to apply for a B2, correct?
As Boiler said, you are free to apply, but all the reports I have read are that unless you are retired or can present a credible plan to do something such as walk the Appalachian Trail*, you are unlikely, arguably very unlikely, to get a B-2 visa. Then, as I said above, you are likely to be refused an ESTA for 6-12 months too.

In short, be thankful that you have access to the VWP which is easy and extremely cheap, because most of the world is excluded from the VWP.

* BTW any justification which you try to cook up which looks like you just want to spend time with your girlfriend will guarantee that your visa will be declined, and quite possibly lead to your USCIS record flagged for you being an overstay/illegal immigration risk.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 6th 2016 at 2:08 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

As Boiler said, you are free to apply, but all the reports I have read are that unless you are retired or can present a credible plan to do something such as walk the Appalachian Trail*, you are unlikely, arguably very unlikely, to get a B-2 visa. Then, as I said above, you are likely to be refused an ESTA for 6-12 months too.

In short, be thankful that you have access to the VWP which is easy and extremely cheap, because most of the world is excluded from the VWP.

* BTW any justification which you try to cook up which looks like you just want to spend time with your girlfriend will guarantee that your visa will be declined, and quite possibly lead to your USCIS record flagged for you being an overstay/illegal immigration risk.
So this would lead to my current ESTA (still valid for over a year) being revoked?

Frustrating, because there are also certifications in CAD programs I was looking to achieve in that time that aren't readily available in the UK.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by iandallimore
So this would lead to my current ESTA (still valid for over a year) being revoked? .....
If a visa application is rejected your ESTA is voided and you have to reapply. You know what the outcome of that will be, right?
.... Frustrating, because there are also certifications in CAD programs I was looking to achieve in that time that aren't readily available in the UK.
Is the course F-1 eligible? That would be a fairly easy visa to justify.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

If a visa application is rejected your ESTA is voided and you have to reapply. You know what the outcome of that will be, right?
Is the course F-1 eligible? That would be a fairly easy visa to justify.
yeah I'm aware, certainly don't want any of that frankly.

It's not, it'd just be taking the exam, potentially a small number of classes falling under 18 hours a week category.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 2:46 pm

You're younger than I was when I met and married Mrs P, so I understand you not wanting to leap into marriage, but when we married we had spent only six weeks together, over the preceding 18 months, of which one was the week immediately before we got married. I am not the only on in BE who successfully made that leap.

Time spent living together is a very poor predictor of successful marriage, and in fact the dramatic increase in cohabitation over the past 50 years has seen an equally dramatic rise in the divorce rate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.