Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

SSN via I-130- when are you legal to work?

SSN via I-130- when are you legal to work?

Old Jan 10th 2005, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Zenas is a jewel in the roughZenas is a jewel in the roughZenas is a jewel in the roughZenas is a jewel in the roughZenas is a jewel in the rough
Default SSN via I-130- when are you legal to work?

Are you 'legally" able to work on entry on the 130, or only "legal" after you have the SSN card in your hand?

I'd like to be applying for jobs as soon as I get my 130 in my passport, is that ok?

Will they give me the SSN number over the phone if I ask?

I saw somewhere where you had 30 or 90 days to present the employer with it, anyone know where this info is?

I think there is a box on the DS230 you can check and after entering the US, they'll send your SSN around 6 weeks later.

What if I waited in line when I got there, would it be faster?

Overall, I want to start applying immediately, what is your opinion on the fastest legal way to do this after getting the 130?

thanks
Old Jan 10th 2005, 7:16 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: SSN via I-130- when are you legal to work?

Originally Posted by Zenas
Are you 'legally" able to work on entry on the 130, or only "legal" after you have the SSN card in your hand?

I'd like to be applying for jobs as soon as I get my 130 in my passport, is that ok?

Will they give me the SSN number over the phone if I ask?

I saw somewhere where you had 30 or 90 days to present the employer with it, anyone know where this info is?

I think there is a box on the DS230 you can check and after entering the US, they'll send your SSN around 6 weeks later.

What if I waited in line when I got there, would it be faster?

Overall, I want to start applying immediately, what is your opinion on the fastest legal way to do this after getting the 130?

thanks
hi, i also came into us via !-130 (dcf).

most comapnies want to see a ssn before you start working for them.

if u ticked the box on the form, you cannot physicaly apply at a local ss office, as this would put 2 applications in the system and they are both then put on hold - i founf this out by accident!

you could always try speaking to the comapnies you are applying to and ask them about when they request a ssn.

Ant