Wikiposts

SSN question

Old Apr 27th 2001, 1:04 pm
Shoe

I had trouble getting a SSN number before we got married. Despite having the Valid K1
and I-94. I figured I'd wait until we get my EAD which we are going to get in person
on May 15th.

I may have a job interview lined up next week and would like to work as soon as I get
my EAD if successful. We were planning on going straight to the SSN office in same
building as the INS afterwards. Does anyone know if they give you a temporary number
or anything that I could use to work with for athe couple of weeks it takes to get
the card in the mail??????

OR - My K1 expires on May 7th, we are already married - could I still apply again for
my SSN based on the memo that is circulating that I can get one with having the
I-94?? That way I may have it by the time I get my EAD???

I'm hoping that this won't affect my chances of being employed.

Any thougths greatly appreciated Karen

Old Apr 27th 2001, 1:35 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Shoe wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
You can try this, nothing to lose. If that is unsuccessful, you should be able to
get one after you get the EAD. YOu can usually call the SS at 1-800-772-1213 and get
the SS number in 2-3 days after you apply. you have 30 days in which to produce the
card, I think.

alvena marriage visa pages at: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Apr 27th 2001, 3:42 pm
michael d young

Shoe wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi All!

Sorry Karen, but SSA doesn't give out temporary SSN cards, but you should have your
card in a week. Plus once the SSN has been issued you can call the SSA toll-free
number, 1-800-772-1213 to get your number over the phone. Plus your employer can call
to verify the number you give as your number. They just have to say you are working
there, because SSA only verifies SSNs for current and former employees. They will
need their EIN, your name, DOB, sex and SSN. SSA will only say if the information
matches or does match their records. Plus no SSA regulation that requires you to show
your SSN card, just need a valid SSN.

Take care,

Mike

Old Apr 28th 2001, 9:55 pm
Moretakitty

Also to add to this, the SSN office should give you a form stating that you have
applied for your card. So that, please if you phone and get the number, you
should be fine.

--
Keep smilin' Moretakitty
    >

>
[usenetquote2]> > OR - My K1 expires on May 7th, we are already married - could I still apply again[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for my SSN based on the memo that is circulating that I can get one with having[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the I-94?? That way I may have it by the time I get my EAD???[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 1st 2001, 2:03 am
\John\

Take "the memo" with you to the SSA office, you *shouldn't* have any problems. Ask
for a supervisor if necessary.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 11th 2001, 10:39 am
Jitters

I would like to see the official memo. I've scoured the IRS site searching, but it
seems too difficult to find. I found the memo prior to it (the one this one replaced)
on their site, so I can't be too far off.

>
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I had trouble getting a SSN number before we got married. Despite having the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Valid K1 and I-94. I figured I'd wait until we get my EAD which we are going to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > get in person on May 15th.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I may have a job interview lined up next week and would like to work as soon as I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > get my EAD if successful. We were planning on going straight to the SSN office in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > same building as the INS afterwards. Does anyone know if they give you a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > temporary number or anything that I could use to work with for athe couple of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > weeks it takes to get the card in the mail??????[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > OR - My K1 expires on May 7th, we are already married - could I still apply again[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for my SSN based on the memo that is circulating that I can get one with having[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the I-94?? That way I may have it by the time I get my EAD???[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I'm hoping that this won't affect my chances of being employed.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Any thougths greatly appreciated Karen[/usenetquote2]