Wikiposts

SSN Info

Old Sep 11th 2002, 2:05 pm
Michael D. Young

Default SSN Info

Hi All!

Well I just wanted to let everyone know that even I have been caught up in the new
SSN procedures. My daughter's AOS was approved on 8/8/02 and she received her
conditional I-551 card about a week later.

So Monday I took off from work early and went to an SSA office with my wife. When
called we gave the guy waiting on us my daughter's birth certificate, I-551 card,
passport and my wife's passport. At first the guy says our daughter needed to be
there and I told him he better go check POMS. So him and the office manager spent 15
minutes look through POMS in her cubical. He comes back and says OK I'm sorry, you
are right, but we normally prefer the child to be here. OK that taken care of he
looks at the documents, we pass that test. Then he goes into the computer to verify
her status, still not showing her authorization to work from INS after over a month.
So he has to send a G-845 to the Baltimore INS to have her status manually verified.
Says it normally takes around 20 days and he would put the G-845 in the mail the next
day. I only need the SSN for tax filing, so I said I would give him a month before
following up.

Well I wanted to know who at INS is responsible for updating the status. First
called national 800, we don't have access to that. Called Vermont, the local office
should have done that. Called Baltimore office that processes the G-845, Vermont was
supposed to do that. Now the only positive info I received was that the Baltimore
office says that they try to process the G-845 status verifications within 21 days
after receiving it.

Also verified some info regarding issuing of SSNs to K-1's. You do only have 76
days from day of entry, since the application will not be processed if you are within
14 days of being out of status. If you are married, but still within the 76 day
period the application should be processed. Now there could still be a problem with
this, since as I said before INS says that technically you are no longer a K-1 once
you marry. If the SSA office just looks at the online system you are OK, but if they
would call INS to ask what your status is after marriage they probably won't process
the application.

If you are within 14 days of being out of status or they send off to INS to verify
your status and it comes back after the 76th day, you will have to wait until the
AOS is approved and you either have the I-551 stamp or card and then as in my
daughter's case that will have to be verified as well to be issued a SSN or
replacement SSN card.

Take care,

Mike

Old Sep 12th 2002, 6:41 am
Eileen

Default Re: SSN Info

"Michael D. Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well I wanted to know who at INS is responsible for updating the status. First
    > called national 800, we don't have access to that. Called Vermont, the local office
    > should have done that. Called Baltimore office that processes the G-845, Vermont
    > was supposed to do that. Now the only positive info I received was that the
    > Baltimore office says that they try to process the G-845 status verifications

oh so YOU are the guy who went wacko.....locked himself in the bathroom and
threatened to shave his entire body unless they came up with a SSN fast. I heard
about you on the news. and what did your co-workers say when you showed up at work
without eyebrows? Eileen