SSN Delays?

Old Aug 13th 2002, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Jenn & Ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy SSN Delays?

Is anyone else experiencing LONG delays in getting a new SSN? my fiance moved over here about a month ago and immediately filed for his SSN, and we'd read that sometimes people can call soon after to get their number over the phone. well he's been calling pretty frequently (several times per week) and they keep telling him that it may take a few months! he's already gotten his EAD to work, but he can't be hired without a SSN. it's very frustrating! he's already had a few interviews as well, and companies want to hire him, but cannot do so until he gets the SSN.
Just wanted to know if anyone else has had any luck in getting their SSN lately and how long it took.
Thanks for any input!!!!
Jenn & Ben
Old Aug 13th 2002, 4:10 pm
Joachim Feise

Default Re: SSN Delays?

Jenn & Ben wrote:
    > Is anyone else experiencing LONG delays in getting a new SSN? my fiance moved over
    > here about a month ago and immediately filed for his SSN, and we'd read that
    > sometimes people can call soon after to get their number over the phone. well he's
    > been calling pretty frequently (several times per week) and they keep telling him
    > that it may take a few months! he's already gotten his EAD to work, but he can't be
    > hired without a SSN. it's very frustrating! he's already had a few interviews as
    > well, and companies want to hire him, but cannot do so until he gets the SSN. Just
    > wanted to know if anyone else has had any luck in getting their SSN lately and how
    > long it took.

I have heard that they nowadays do a check with INS, and that apparently
takes a while.

-Joe

Old Aug 14th 2002, 4:37 pm
Olivier Wagner

I think that the best is to resubmit his application and ask a reciept, then he'll be
able to work during 21 days with that reciept (without SSN). He'll, of course, have
to give his SSN to his employer as soon as he recieve it.

Bye,

Olivier

Jenn &amp; Ben <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is anyone else experiencing LONG delays in getting a new SSN? my fiance moved over
    > here about a month ago and immediately filed for his SSN, and we'd read that
    > sometimes people can call soon after to get their number over the phone. well he's
    > been calling pretty frequently (several times per week) and they keep telling him
    > that it may take a few months! he's already gotten his EAD to work, but he can't be
    > hired without a SSN. it's very frustrating! he's already had a few interviews as
    > well, and companies want to hire him, but cannot do so until he gets the SSN. Just
    > wanted to know if anyone else has had any luck in getting their SSN lately and how
    > long it took. Thanks for any input!!!! Jenn & Ben
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 15th 2002, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Tea4 Two is an unknown quantity at this point

[This happened to me. It took 8 weeks to get my SS#. Good luck and keep positive, the stress can be unbearable.
Old Aug 15th 2002, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Jenn & Ben is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Tea4 Two:
[This happened to me. It took 8 weeks to get my SS#. Good luck and keep positive, the stress can be unbearable.
Thanks, everyone, for all the advice!!!
Old Aug 15th 2002, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

syedraza70 is an unknown quantity at this point

same thing happen to my friend but all he did was went to the SSN office and tel them that whats going on with him and he need something to show to companies they gave him letter indicating that he have applied for SSN and he did his work through that paper but be advised his SSN arrived in about 3 weeks
Old Aug 16th 2002, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by syedraza70:
same thing happen to my friend but all he did was went to the SSN office and tel them that whats going on with him and he need something to show to companies they gave him letter indicating that he have applied for SSN and he did his work through that paper but be advised his SSN arrived in about 3 weeks
Old Aug 16th 2002, 1:02 am
Just Joined

[I tried to get a receipt or something to calm my frustrated employer down but that was not an option in NY. I was told by SS that I had to wait for INS clearance. Maybe different States have different policies for dealing with this issue, I was told that currently there was a 2-3 month delay, so I had to wait. Most employers need the SS# for payroll and can't get around it, and in this climate of financial accountability I can't see too many employers sticking their neck out. Anyway, it worked out in the end!]