SSN for children

Old Feb 13th 2021, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Nutmegger21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN for children

Hello everyone,

I have quick question regarding Green Card and SSN for children. I read that an SSN can only be issued for children age 14 and above. Can anybody confirm this? Our children currently still have their ITINs and as the tax season is coming up, that change could really make a difference.

Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 13th 2021, 1:14 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN for children

Originally Posted by Nutmegger21
Hello everyone,

I have quick question regarding Green Card and SSN for children. I read that an SSN can only be issued for children age 14 and above. Can anybody confirm this? Our children currently still have their ITINs and as the tax season is coming up, that change could really make a difference.

Thank you in advance!
I assume you mean children on a green card who moved here, not ones that were born here. Both my children were born here and revived a SSN within weeks of being born. So if there is a restriction it’s related to their immigration status not their age.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht
I assume you mean children on a green card who moved here, not ones that were born here. Both my children were born here and revived a SSN within weeks of being born. So if there is a restriction it’s related to their immigration status not their age.
Hello tht, thank you for your fast response. Yes our children were not born in the US. So I guess the it is slightly different.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance!
I didn’t think there was an age requirement as long as you qualify otherwise (green card holders do). See https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...y-numbers-ssn/

Also, ITIN vs. SSN should make no difference as it pertains to tax filing if a minor dependent doesn’t have SSN.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 5:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
I didn’t think there was an age requirement as long as you qualify otherwise (green card holders do). See https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...y-numbers-ssn/

Also, ITIN vs. SSN should make no difference as it pertains to tax filing if a minor dependent doesn’t have SSN.
There is no age requirement for a social security number. There is, however, a requirement that the person receiving the SS# has a proper visa/status allowing them to obtain said number.

If the children enter the US as IR/CR-2 visa holders, they were able to obtain a SS# upon entry to the US. If they didn't enter as such, then it depends on what status they held at entry.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

My son received a SSN on receipt of his Green Card, aged 11.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robtuck
My son received a SSN on receipt of his Green Card, aged 11.
Thank you all for your responses. How did you apply for the SSN? Usually they require a justification so is a child also a “Legal alien allowed to work” even tough not working at all?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 14th 2021, 11:10 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your responses. How did you apply for the SSN? Usually they require a justification so is a child also a “Legal alien allowed to work” even tough not working at all?

Thanks again!
Why do you need to make something up, why not tell them the truth? I assume you want it for this:

No, you may not claim the child tax credit for a child with an ITIN. The child must have an SSN to be a qualifying child eligible for the child tax credit (CTC) or the additional child tax credit (ACTC).”

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/childcare-c...d-tax-credit-4

Each permanent resident needs a Social Security Number (SSN). An SSN will help you to work in the United States, to conduct business with a bank or financial institution, to pay your taxes or to be listed as a dependent on a tax return, and for other purposes.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnvisa/Handout_11_1.html
Old Feb 14th 2021, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

somehow we are going in circles here. The tax topic was introduced by me in the first threat. In the SSA form they are giving the option of “legal alien not allowed to work”. I read that children under 14 are not allowed to work (also U.S. citizens). In conclusion this would mean that immigrant children on Green Card couldn’t get SSN before that age.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 4:48 pm
tht

Hi,

somehow we are going in circles here. The tax topic was introduced by me in the first threat. In the SSA form they are giving the option of “legal alien not allowed to work”. I read that children under 14 are not allowed to work (also U.S. citizens). In conclusion this would mean that immigrant children on Green Card couldn’t get SSN before that age.
So you are probably assuming that different agencies care about each other’s duties or talk to each other... and are trying to make logical assumptions.. by way of example the IRS collects tax’s from illegal aliens who work in the US. Focus on the SSA. The link I posted below basically says what you are trying to do.

Did you complete and submit the SS-5?

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Last edited by tht; Feb 15th 2021 at 5:07 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Children no matter how young can be authorized to work as far as immigration is concerned; that doesn't mean they can actually work -- there might be child labor issues -- but at least they are in an immigration status that can work. For example, an EAD can be applied for an infant who has a pending I-485 or is in J2 status, etc. If an infant has an EAD, they can get an SSN, and it will say "valid for work with DHS authorization" on the card.

Someone who is not authorized to work in the US cannot in general get an SSN. The "not valid for employment" SS cards are only for very rare circumstances where someone who is not authorized to work needs an SSN to get some government benefit. This is very rare as nonimmigrants are generally not eligible for any government benefits. Things like filing taxes, getting a driver's license, opening a bank account, etc., are not valid reasons to get an SSN. Even in the rare case that someone can get a "not valid for employment" SSN, that will not qualify their parent to get the Child Tax Credit or for the stimulus money. For those, they need to have an SSN "valid for employment" issued before the tax filing deadline.

Old Feb 15th 2021, 11:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again!

Have you done a google search for the social security administration website? I'm assuming not. Social Security #'s are required for registering for school, sometimes healthcare, doctor's offices, bank accounts, etc. One does not require it just to work. Nutmegger has given you another reason why your child[ren] need a SS# in requires to the Stimulus Check eligibility. And no, before you ask, you do not have to be a permanent resident to qualify.

https://www.ssa.gov/

Complete this form and bring it and the required documents and child with you to the local social security office to apply for the card. Bring their passport, birth certificates and you bring your passport.

Old Feb 15th 2021, 11:46 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by newacct
Children no matter how young can be authorized to work as far as immigration is concerned; that doesn't mean they can actually work -- there might be child labor issues -- but at least they are in an immigration status that can work. For example, an EAD can be applied for an infant who has a pending I-485 or is in J2 status, etc. If an infant has an EAD, they can get an SSN, and it will say "valid for work with DHS authorization" on the card.

Someone who is not authorized to work in the US cannot in general get an SSN. The "not valid for employment" SS cards are only for very rare circumstances where someone who is not authorized to work needs an SSN to get some government benefit. This is very rare as nonimmigrants are generally not eligible for any government benefits. Things like filing taxes, getting a driver's license, opening a bank account, etc., are not valid reasons to get an SSN. Even in the rare case that someone can get a "not valid for employment" SSN, that will not qualify their parent to get the Child Tax Credit or for the stimulus money. For those, they need to have an SSN "valid for employment" issued before the tax filing deadline.
Just to amend, the infant, child does not need an EAD to get the social security card. They only need the appropriate visa in their passport or their green card.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 11:52 pm
tht

Originally Posted by Rete
Have you done a google search for the social security administration website? I'm assuming not. Social Security #'s are required for registering for school, sometimes healthcare, doctor's offices, bank accounts, etc. One does not require it just to work. Nutmegger has given you another reason why your child[ren] need a SS# in requires to the Stimulus Check eligibility. And no, before you ask, you do not have to be a permanent resident to qualify.

https://www.ssa.gov/

Complete this form and bring it and the required documents and child with you to the local social security office to apply for the card. Bring their passport, birth certificates and you bring your passport.

If you read the OP’s first post they have green cards, so they should bring those. The OP thinks that because a child can’t work before they are 14 they are not “work authorized” so they can’t get their head around ticking option 2 “legal alien allowed to work” for question 5: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf
Old Feb 16th 2021, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Just to amend, the infant, child does not need an EAD to get the social security card. They only need the appropriate visa in their passport or their green card.
But no dependent child status is authorized to work on the basis of the just the status. So an EAD would be basically the only way a young child in nonimmigrant status can get an SSN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.