Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

SSA Should be SSS and Working W/O EAD

SSA Should be SSS and Working W/O EAD

Old Apr 13th 2001, 1:50 am
Rete

I read "John" reply to the working w/o an EAD post and his suggestion about emailing
INS and SSA. Well as a side note here, Jim received the I-551 stamp in 9/00. We went
today to get the legend removed an unmarked SSC issued. No go there, ladies and
gents. The SS clerk was adamant that Jim is not authorized for such a card and that
INS after 7 months has not informed them that Jim is now a CR-1. In fact, with her
very limited grasp of the English language and with her very heavy Spanish accent
proceeded to tell us that she had never seen the I-551 stamp in his passport and
refused to believe that it was what we said it was. Her supervisor was just as
unhelpful as the clerk was.

So now they copied all the pages in the passport, took his application and will
contact INS for verification of what is and what is not.

Me thinks that the fact that Jim has not received the green card in seven months, and
no reply to his form of inquiry to VSC as to why it was not received within the
required 90 days, that Jim has once again fallen through the crack in the yellow
brick road. Some scenarios would be:

1. DAO Marshall never sent in the paperwork and it is sitting on her desk in NYC;

2. Our letter of inquiry as to why he received CR status instead of LP status is
holding it up; or

3. They are prejudicial when dealing with white males, from first world nations who
work for a living.

Rita

Old Apr 13th 2001, 2:10 am
Rete

And PS ... she printed out the INS report on Jim and it has him classified as "R-1"
and she said he is only authorized to work in the ministry and/or in a non-profit
organization.

Ask her if R-1 should be resident but again she insisted it didn't and Jim could only
work in a ministry, etc.

We laughed about that one (Jim and I in the car) because if the man ever found
himself in a church the world would end that very moment. He is not anti-belief but
anti-organized religion.

Rita

Old Apr 13th 2001, 2:30 am
Plano, Texas

>
about
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
grasp
    >
to
    >
refused
    >
    >

All seems random, unpredictable and totally unacceptable behaviour but you know that.
To show how extraordinary this seems, our experience with 3 I-551 stamps in 3
passports was that we were out of the office in 10 min, all done. McKinney, TX, Oct
00. They sent one card with the 'valid for work only with INS authorisation', by
phone we told them it was wrong, they agreed, said they would issue replacement
within 2 wks, and indeed they sent it by mail within that timeframe. Original trip to
SS office less than 14 days after I-551s. No trip to office to get replacement card,
no problems with procedures, in all we spoke about 30 words to the clerk at the SS
office, she filled in her forms and screens in almost complete silence. I can imagine
how infuriated or maybe just cynical you are at this (I dont need to imagine it, I
think you said it).

I'm only pointing out this experience as an example of completely different type of
response at a different SS office. Unjustifiable that there should be these
differences. Wishing you better results on the next step.

Old Apr 13th 2001, 3:20 am
Alvena Ferreira

God, Rete, why didn't you guys just pick things up and trot off to another SS office?
Obviously that woman was a ditz. alvena

Rete wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 13th 2001, 3:20 am
Rete

Because he has his social security card and the I-551 is work authorization. Besides
it was good to learn that VSC does not have the greencard paperwork. Confirms just
what I thought.

Rita

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
about
    >
    >
    >
Jim
    >
    >
grasp
    >
to
    >
refused
    >
    >
    >
    >
and
    >
    >
    >
seven
    >
    >
through
    >
    >
    >
desk
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 13th 2001, 2:43 pm
Alex J

Am I understanding right that the SSN card should say 'valid for work only with INS
authorization' if you use an EAD to get it? I am only asking because the one I got
with my EAD is a normal SSN card with no indications whatsoever on it about INS.

Alex

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 13th 2001, 3:28 pm
Plano, Texas

>
with
    >

We entered on K1/K2, got the EAD passport stamp at DFW because at that time they were
still issuing the 'EAD stamp' in passports. Even without that we would not have
needed to apply later since we did adjustment of status at Dallas (same day 'walkin'
AOS). The I-551 stamp was given at the AOS interview. That was what we showed to the
SS office. With an I-551 passport stamp, my belief is that *is* INS authorisaton
since it;s the equivalent of a green card and proves PR status, and so the 'valid for
work only with INS authorization' was wrong, it should not have the wording and the
SS office agreed and replaced that card. The I-551 is what Rita's husband had and so
his SS card should not have had that wording either (is my understanding). I can't
comment on EAD obtained otherwise, we did not need one because AOS was processed
quickly. I think I have this correct, ie I think the SS office used the fact of the
I-551 stamp as sufficient reason to issue the SSN. But this was last year, I can't
know if they think different now. It just seemed incredible for Rita and Jim to get
the response they did with an I-551 in hand.

Alvena's point was valid - it's possible if you're sure of your facts to go to a
different SS office to try to get what you're entitled to, you're not forced to use
any specific SS office.

>
with no
    >

If you have I-551 or green card I would think that is correct, in other circumstances
I'd be lying if I said I knew.

Sue

>
    >
    >

Old Apr 13th 2001, 3:59 pm
Alex J

[usenetquote2]> > I am only asking because the one I got with my EAD is a normal SSN card[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > indications whatsoever on it about INS.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

If you have an EAD card then you don't have an I-551 stamp or a green card yet. The
EAD is the employment authorization you get until you get your I-551 stamp then
green card.

Alex

Old Apr 14th 2001, 12:18 am
Rete

You need the EAD card if you do not yet have permanent resident status.

The SS card would under normal circumstances have the work authorization legend on
it. When you get the PR status you can then take your I-551 or the green card into
the SS office and have a new card issued (same number)
w/o the legend as you no longer have to show an EAD in order to work.

For Jim the problem yesterday was time. The offices closed at 4 and because it took
1-1/2 hours for me to wait in the DMV to change registration and title information,
we didn't get the SS office until 3:35. Yup Alvena is correct and we would have gone
elsewhere but the time factor and the fact that INS still has not sent updated info
to SSA re Jim's status made us decide to go with the flow and see what comes up in a
few weeks with SSA's inquiry to INS.

Rita

Old Apr 22nd 2001, 4:56 am
michael d young

"Plano, Texas" wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi All!

Well the problem is that it is up to the person reviewing the evidence presented to
accept or not accept the evidence as valid. If you apply in a big city, i.e. New York
where they might see more fake documents, than let's say Cornfield, Kansas they are
more likely to send things to INS to be checked out if there is any doubt. Plus just
like any other government agency, there is no IQ test to be hired at SSA. Which I
thank God everyday. LOL

Take care,

Mike