Wikiposts

SSA Manual Verification

Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Alie&Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSA Manual Verification

Has anyone here had to wait more than 4 months to get back the manual verification for SSA?

Here's my situation: Received EAD on Oct. 12/04. Went to SSA to change my name on my SSN, was told I was not in the SAVE system yet. Waited several more weeks, still never showed up in SAVE system. Finally on Nov. 4/04 let SSA send off my documents for manual verification. To this day still waiting for it to come back. I still check regularily to see if my name was entered in SAVE, still hasn't.

I have done everything I can think of to get this name change done. I have been back to SSA numerous times to request a followup on the G-845 (which the office never did). I have even tried contacting the immigration office that does the manual verifications, no luck there. I have contacted the SSA Regional Office, they were no help.

I wouldn't be stressing over this name change issue, if it wasn't for the fact that the DMV won't issue me a license or state ID because my SSN is still in my maiden name and everything else is in my married name.

Alie
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSA Manual Verification

Originally Posted by Alie&Steve
Has anyone here had to wait more than 4 months to get back the manual verification for SSA?

Here's my situation: Received EAD on Oct. 12/04. Went to SSA to change my name on my SSN, was told I was not in the SAVE system yet. Waited several more weeks, still never showed up in SAVE system. Finally on Nov. 4/04 let SSA send off my documents for manual verification. To this day still waiting for it to come back. I still check regularily to see if my name was entered in SAVE, still hasn't.

I have done everything I can think of to get this name change done. I have been back to SSA numerous times to request a followup on the G-845 (which the office never did). I have even tried contacting the immigration office that does the manual verifications, no luck there. I have contacted the SSA Regional Office, they were no help.

I wouldn't be stressing over this name change issue, if it wasn't for the fact that the DMV won't issue me a license or state ID because my SSN is still in my maiden name and everything else is in my married name.

Alie

Took about 3 or 4 months for them to change my name after I got my green card... Randomly a new card showed up in the mail months after I applied for the neame change...
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:35 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SSA Manual Verification

Originally Posted by Alie&Steve

Alie
Did you call the Atlanta RO 404-562-5500? What did they say? I would call them again and insist that they have the local SSA office contact the immigration office to verify your status or at least send another G-845. Tell them to read SSA's procedure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740
RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

B. PROCEDURE – HOW TO REQUEST MANUAL VERIFICATION

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS. Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS.

Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated “second request.�) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the RO. Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the RO blows you off again. You can try going back to the local office and ask to speak with the office manager and point out per SSA POMS they are supposed to follow up after 30 day and if they won't send another G-845 or call the immigration office you are calling the Atlanta RO. Hopefully, the bluff will work. As a last resort you could try call Senator or Congressman.

BTW did the immigration office tell you anything or just blow you off?