Spouse visa for the states

Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa for the states

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
No consulates accept I-130s anymore. The term 'DCF' may remain in use, just as we still 'type' and telephones still 'ring', but direct consular filing of I-130 petitions no longer exists.
I know. I mentioned it with regard to this specific case because there has been confusion in this thread over whether Dublin processes immigrant visas, and I thought it worth emphasising the distinction between petition and visa application. The info about the move away from DCF is featured very prominently on the Dublin website, which could lead someone not familiar with the two-stage nature of the IV process mistakenly to think their visa application can't be adjudicated there.

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Mar 19th 2013 at 8:39 am.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethDouglas
Cheers guys, I have checked the Dublin fees, all in all with he cost of the flights versus the cost of a new passport and higher medical fees it seems to balance out. Flights from Belfast to London are about 49 pounds return and 40 minutes long. No great difference to the fuel id use for a 100 mile journey and back in my car.
All in all I think to keep the process as quick as possible I'd stick with the London embassy. Feel free to correct me on here as I'm no expert and hence I joined this forum for advice and help
Sounds sensible, especially taking into account the extortionate medical fees in Dublin. (I mean, London is a rip off too, but less so.)
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys, I have checked the Dublin fees, all in all with he cost of the flights versus the cost of a new passport and higher medical fees it seems to balance out. Flights from Belfast to London are about 49 pounds return and 40 minutes long. No great difference to the fuel id use for a 100 mile journey and back in my car.
All in all I think to keep the process as quick as possible I'd stick with the London embassy.

Feel free to correct me on here as I'm no expert and hence I joined this forum for advice and help
Hi Gareth,

Though I still agree with the above course of action, one other thing to consider is the cost of travel when you arrive in London [train, tube, etc] and the potential cost of a hotel if required.

The reason I mention this, is that you will have little or no say on when the Immigrant Visa Unit schedules your interview, and they only hold interviews in the mornings. If they give you an 8am slot like they did for me, you will have little choice but to spend the previous night in London

I'm not sure how long you've been married [so I don't know if you'll be applying for a CR-1 visa or an IR-1 visa] but either way, the thread below may be of some help...

.: MY "DCF" CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790299

Kind Regards,
Rich.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:23 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Point of clarification - how long one has been married makes no difference to the type of visa one applies for, they apply for a generic immigrant visa. The same visa that a child, parent, son or daughter, or sibling applies for. The classification code that will show on the visa is assigned 'automagically' based on the relationship. The applicant does not apply for a CR-1 or IR-1 visa, they are given an immigrant visa with the appropriate code marked on it.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by richbogle84
I'm not sure how long you've been married [so I don't know if you'll be applying for a CR-1 visa or an IR-1 visa] but either way, the thread below may be of some help....

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 20th 2013 at 5:57 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

GarethDouglas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by richbogle84
Hi Gareth,

Though I still agree with the above course of action, one other thing to consider is the cost of travel when you arrive in London [train, tube, etc] and the potential cost of a hotel if required.

The reason I mention this, is that you will have little or no say on when the Immigrant Visa Unit schedules your interview, and they only hold interviews in the mornings. If they give you an 8am slot like they did for me, you will have little choice but to spend the previous night in London

I'm not sure how long you've been married [so I don't know if you'll be applying for a CR-1 visa or an IR-1 visa] but either way, the thread below may be of some help...

.: MY "DCF" CR-1 JOURNEY // STORY & DOCUMENTS & LINKS :.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790299

Kind Regards,
Rich.
Hi,
My travel to London will be easier as I do have friends in the city i can sponge a sofa off for the night.
Thankyou to you all for the help :-)
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

another question for you all :-)
Once the i-130 is filed my wife will be travelling on without me and i will be following when my visa comes through.
Will this be an issue for interviews?
I assumed once the papework was filed she could go on and start her job as planned and I would follow when my visa gets issued.
The main thing being that for the last two or three months she wont be here to attend any interviews.

Regards Gareth

Last edited by GarethDouglas; Mar 19th 2013 at 11:19 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

No. She is not required to attend.

Ian
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No. She is not required to attend.

Ian
Excellent.
Thankyou Ian :-)

Regards,
Gareth
Old May 1st 2013, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Carlisle401 is an unknown quantity at this point

A little bit confused here.

If I had an Irish Passport and lived in Northern Ireland, could I apply to the US Embassy in Dublin? Isn't it where you have residence?

I live in Northern Ireland (British passport) and am awaiting my Interview in London. To be honest I enjoy going to London anyway. The answer is just for future reference.
Old May 1st 2013, 12:33 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carlisle401
A little bit confused here.

If I had an Irish Passport and lived in Northern Ireland, could I apply to the US Embassy in Dublin? Isn't it where you have residence?

I live in Northern Ireland (British passport) and am awaiting my Interview in London. To be honest I enjoy going to London anyway. The answer is just for future reference.
You may choose to have your case processed in Dublin if you claimed Irish citizenship from the beginning of the I-130 and you possess an Irish passport. You must be very clear that you want to be processed as an Irish citizen. Don't fail to disclose all citizenships that you hold. And if you've already started with a British passport, don't switch horses in midstream.

In fact the NVC attempted to send us to Dublin despite the fact that my husband used a British passport and claimed British citizenship throughout the process. Yes, he put his dual citizenship down, but the default option for a Northern Irish address in which he clearly indicated UNITED KINGDOM should have been London. We got it fixed eventually.
Old May 1st 2013, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks Speedwell,
Did you wife get residence through Dublin or London? A friend of mine got residency through Dublin because it was cheaper using his Irish passport. We went over to Glasgow for my wife's permanent residency.
Thanks again.
Old May 1st 2013, 3:26 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Speedwell,
Did you wife get residence through Dublin or London? A friend of mine got residency through Dublin because it was cheaper using his Irish passport. We went over to Glasgow for my wife's permanent residency.
Thanks again.
Carlisle, my husband is still awaiting a case complete and interview time, but we are processing through London. I'm in the US and I filed a standalone I-130 through the US lockbox. We used his Irish passport as identification evidence for the W-7 we filed on our joint taxes this year. He'll be using his British passport at the interview and for travel. Does that answer your question? (I'm not sure what you mean by "get residence" exactly.)
Old May 1st 2013, 3:29 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Point of clarification - one does not "get residence" through a consular visa issuing post - one gets an immigrant visa through a consular issuing post.

One gets residence upon entering the USA and being processed by the CBP at a POE, having requested entry on the basis of the immigrant visa.

Regards, JEff

EDIT: Speedwell's confusion is a good example of why one needs to understand what one is doing and the functions of the several agencies that are involved in the immigration process.

Many thanks Speedwell,
Thanks again.
Old May 1st 2013, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, I meant did you get a residence permit for Northern Ireland in Dublin (irish) or London (British)?
Old May 1st 2013, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

another question for you all :-)
Once the i-130 is filed my wife will be travelling on without me and i will be following when my visa comes through.
I assumed once the papework was filed she could go on and start her job as planned and I would follow when my visa gets issued.
The main thing being that for the last two or three months she wont be here to attend any interviews.
It actually makes the process slightly easier as you don't have to worry about showing her intent to re-establish domicile as she will already have done so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.