Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Sports writer wanting to work in USA

Sports writer wanting to work in USA

Old May 15th 2012, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Sports writer wanting to work in USA

Easy.

1. Canada 1 year gig
2. Move to Vancouver
3. Get a job with the Vancouver Whitecaps as a press dude
4. Kick ass at your job so they sort you out for a permanent gig
5. Transfer to LA Galaxy on your O1 visa after a couple of years of writing insightful and popular articles
6. David Beckham's personal writer
7. Global domination

Definitely a better plan than trying to go online looking for a wife.
Old May 15th 2012, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sports writer wanting to work in USA

Originally Posted by MLSNut
I mean close to a year combined in terms of trips.
Right... so your experience as a visitor is pretty much useless.

... it gave me the chance to see what it would be like.
Thanks for the chuckle!

I was living quite a normal life...
Umm... no, you weren't.

Ian
Old May 16th 2012, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw E! News is sending a reporter to cover the Olympics.

I suggest getting accreditation and boozing it up with as many US sports journos as you can find. Make some contacts...
Old May 16th 2012, 12:12 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It has been many many years, but the Cumberland? Hotel by Marble Arch.
Ha Ha! I used to work across the street. Lots of flight crews, aka air hostesses stayed there. You might be onto something.
Old May 16th 2012, 12:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RICH
Ha Ha! I used to work across the street. Lots of flight crews, aka air hostesses stayed there. You might be onto something.
You mean trolley tottey?
Old May 16th 2012, 12:26 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You mean trolley tottey?
Yes, but I couldn't think of the politically correct phrase.
Old May 16th 2012, 12:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My pleasure.

Hopefully theirs as well.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

MLSNut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Right... so your experience as a visitor is pretty much useless.

Thanks for the chuckle!

Umm... no, you weren't.

Ian
I felt it was beneficial in showing me what it's like to live and work in the US. Obviously having been with an American for over 2 and a half years I feel I've got a good grip on the basics. Of course it's impossible to know exactly what it's like. Is there anything you think that may surprise me?

I definitely think Canada might be the most viable route.

Last edited by MLSNut; May 16th 2012 at 3:10 pm.
Old May 17th 2012, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

gemmabl is an unknown quantity at this point

I came here on vacation a few years before moving permanently, and it's like day and night.

Anything could surprise you, and it's also going to depend on which part of the US you plan to live in. If you're a London guy and are planning to move to New York, it isn't a huge change. But, if you're like me and moved from London to Little Rock, Arkansas, then be prepared for at least a year of culture shock!