Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Sponsored sibling's green card - possible timeline

Sponsored sibling's green card - possible timeline

Old Oct 23rd 2019, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sponsored sibling's green card - possible timeline

I received an email from National Visa Center informing that Dept. of State received approved petition from USCIS for my brother. Email included case number and additional details. They require further instructions whether they should proceed with processing green card application. They give 12 months for initiating process. Otherwise they will consider visa to be abandoned.

I would like to know what is a possible timeline from the moment when procedure is initiated through their website? My brother lives in Poland but I think the same rules and regulations apply in other countries too.

He was single when I applied for him. His status has changed. My guess is that he would have to present marriage certificate in order for his wife to receive green card too?

Thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 3:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsored sibling's green card - possible timeline

How long ago was the I-130 filed?

Rene
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
How long ago was the I-130 filed?

Rene
I became US citizen in Jan, 2006 and I send an application within 2-3 months.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 3:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so from this point on, it should take no loner than a year to complete the next steps.

Yes, your brother should submit the marriage certificate in order for his wife to join him. I would call NVC to ask if docs should get sent there.

By the way, he isn't getting a green card. He's getting an immigrant visa. Once he uses the immigrant visa to enter the USA, the visa converts to a 1-year green card while waiting for the plastic card to come in the mail.

Rene
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

OK, so from this point on, it should take no loner than a year to complete the next steps.

Yes, your brother should submit the marriage certificate in order for his wife to join him. I would call NVC to ask if docs should get sent there.

By the way, he isn't getting a green card. He's getting an immigrant visa. Once he uses the immigrant visa to enter the USA, the visa converts to a 1-year green card while waiting for the plastic card to come in the mail.

Rene
Thank you.

That was my estimate too. Based on the email I received the documents will be send to US embassy in Warsaw once the process is initiated. It is most likely that any additional documents will have to be presented/submitted other there.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 6:07 pm

My thinking is that Warsaw needs to know there is another person attending the immigrant visa interview ahead of time.

Your brother may want to contact the embassy to make sure.

Rene
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

My thinking is that Warsaw needs to know there is another person attending the immigrant visa interview ahead of time.

Your brother may want to contact the embassy to make sure.

Rene
Good point. Thank you
Old Oct 24th 2019, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if a potential immigrant in this situation (Case created at NVC) can keep the case open beyond 12 months? I seem to recall reading that so long as the applicant keeps in touch with NVC, then the immigrant visa case can potentially be kept open indefinitely, but I can't remember now where I read this.