Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Speeding Ticket and Citizenship Application

Speeding Ticket and Citizenship Application

Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:47 pm
Anthony

Default Speeding Ticket and Citizenship Application

Can anyone tell me if a speeding ticket (first and the only ticket) have any
impact on citizenship application?

Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:30 pm
Kevin Keane

Default Re: Speeding Ticket and Citizenship Application

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

It shouldn't have an impact, but you should disclose it.

Anthony wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me if a speeding ticket (first and the only ticket) have any
    > impact on citizenship application?

- --
Please visit my FAQ at http://www.kkeane.com before asking a question.
It may answer your question. Remember, I am strictly a layperson without
any legal training. I encourage the reader to seek competent legal
counsel rather than relying on usenet newsgroups.

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of
the current President.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFD8N5g2STeoAchQDkRAoAvAKCoZRij+Bgs830MulcaB6 Of5E00/ACfdQb4
6z7FLp9LJfHHoH7iMN6TlXk=
=HwQO
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Old Feb 13th 2006, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Anthony
Can anyone tell me if a speeding ticket (first and the only ticket) have any
impact on citizenship application?
Not as long as you declare it.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not as long as you declare it.

As boiler said, Declare it. Make sure you paid it & have proof. Take copies etc to interview.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
As boiler said, Declare it. Make sure you paid it & have proof. Take copies etc to interview.
Reg. Frank R.
So if you get a ticket and get it dismissed by taking a defensive driving course (as you can do in TX and I'm sure elsewhere) do you still have a ticket on your record?
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:46 pm
Kevin Keane

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

TimFountain wrote:
    >> As boiler said, Declare it. Make sure you paid it & have proof. Take
    >> copies etc to interview.
    >> Reg. Frank R.
    >
    > So if you get a ticket and get it dismissed by taking a defensive
    > driving course (as you can do in TX and I'm sure elsewhere) do you still
    > have a ticket on your record?
    >

For immigration purposes, this kind of dismissal does not count.
Similarly, expunged or sealed records still count.

- --
Please visit my FAQ at http://www.kkeane.com before asking a question.
It may answer your question. Remember, I am strictly a layperson without
any legal training. I encourage the reader to seek competent legal
counsel rather than relying on usenet newsgroups.

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of
the current President.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFD8e1P2STeoAchQDkRAtMpAKCt4lfIIVSDMiBBQ3laPr D56TAZWwCeKP0T
5B8Ch+Xc4XO8yut6kbxFqsE=
=G6Fw
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Old Feb 14th 2006, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
So if you get a ticket and get it dismissed by taking a defensive driving course (as you can do in TX and I'm sure elsewhere) do you still have a ticket on your record?
The driver course is for, the removing of points from your licence. You were still guilty, unless found not guilty/case dismissed by a judge. You still need to list on N400, even if found not guilty/case dismissed or Drivers ED. This is no big deal, only time would be big deal, if you did not pay the fine. Lack of moral turpitude. DWI & hurting people is a bad deal.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

I had one speeding ticket,paid fine, and 1 speeding ticket that was actually dismissed by the judge. I declared both of them, as according to the ticket, I was arrested at the point of issuance and then released on my own regogonance??? (ROR). Did not cause a problem with my N400, have been a citizen for 3 years now. My Tickets were from Florida
Old Feb 20th 2006, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest.. although I'm a long way from Citizenship etc.. I got pulled over (had my UK licence) when I was in the US on a visa waiver 2004.. I paid the fine etc after returning to the UK etc..no points just a fine

Would I have to declare that later down the line?

Cheers
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Andy_LongIsland
Just out of interest.. although I'm a long way from Citizenship etc.. I got pulled over (had my UK licence) when I was in the US on a visa waiver 2004.. I paid the fine etc after returning to the UK etc..no points just a fine

Would I have to declare that later down the line?

Cheers
Yes
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Yes
Ooh glad I asked now! We're about to apply for AOS / EAD - would I have to disclose it there or is this later on?

Thanks matey

Last edited by Andy_LongIsland; Feb 20th 2006 at 4:15 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

Ooh glad I asked now! We're about to apply for AOS / EAD - would I have to disclose it there or is this later on?

Thanks matey
From meory it asks you on the AOS application.

Rule of thumb is to be scrupiously honest, that way they can never bite you. The Naturalisation aspect is more onerous, but better to be safe than sorry.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

From meory it asks you on the AOS application.

Rule of thumb is to be scrupiously honest, that way they can never bite you. The Naturalisation aspect is more onerous, but better to be safe than sorry.
Bugger I don't know if I've even got it anymore if they want proof

Was just a fine and thought nothing else of it..didn't think it'd be a criminal conviction (at least one that matters)..
Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

Bugger I don't know if I've even got it anymore if they want proof

Was just a fine and thought nothing else of it..didn't think it'd be a criminal conviction (at least one that matters)..
The bif one is Naturalisation, you should be able to get records for that and you have time.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry to go on about it - just want to avoid more stress

Right I've got my K1 - flying in to the US 8th of March.. wedding is 1st of April.. then we're sending off AOS etc on the 2nd/3rd.

Do you think i'm gonna need to find the receipt the court sent back which contained the fine or get a copy before we send the forms off?

I've not mentioned it in the k1 application?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.