sorted

Old Aug 31st 2002, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

st.trinians is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile sorted

I had enormous trouble getting the INS to give me an I-551 stamp after I lost my greencard but I got my passport stamped on Monday by an congress liaison officer on the 5th floor at Federal Plaza in NY.

I would advise anyone else who had a similar problem to me to get HR at work involved if you need to travel for business or contact your local congress representative straight away.

For history check forum subject "green card replacement problem" posted by me (st.trinians)
:PARTY:

Last edited by st.trinians; Aug 31st 2002 at 7:39 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2002, 12:33 pm
Thorsten

Default Re: sorted

"st.trinians" wrote:

> I had enormous trouble getting the INS to give me an I-551 stamp after I lost my
    > greencard

This begs the question, is it--in light of the hassles of replacing a lost
GC--actually advisable to carry the CG _everywhere_, i.e., to the gym, to the beach,
for a walk around the block, etc.?

I know, I know, you're theoretically supposed to carry it at all times, but if you
live in a small town, hundreds of miles from the closest POE as well as the closest
Border Patrol station, what are the odds of running into actual trouble (compared to
the odds of losing the GC or having your wallet stolen)? What are the consequences of
not carrying the GC (in your home town, for a trip to the store, etc.)?

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks, Thorsten