British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Sons first passport and CRBA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/sons-first-passport-crba-943666/)

Hudson06 Apr 23rd 2022 10:47 am

Sons first passport and CRBA

Finally managed to get an appointment at the London embassy to apply for my sons first passport, Ssn and CRBA. I have done this before with my eldest but need to ask a couple of questions.
My husbands US passport has expired, Our appointments is in 3 weeks so we don’t want to renew now as he needs proof of his citizenship but will they allow this?
we also applied for my sons British passport 4 weeks ago but this is taking upto 10 weeks so I also don’t have this to take with us.
also we don’t have to prove domicile do we if my husband is a US citizen?
this was so much easier 10 years ago but now I’m older things don’t sink in 😂.

excpomea Apr 25th 2022 2:31 pm

Re: Sons first passport and CRBA

CRBA.?

postbox134 Apr 25th 2022 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by excpomea (Post 13110162)
CRBA.?

Consular Report of Birth Abroad - Google is your friend.

newacct Apr 25th 2022 4:56 pm

You just need proof of your husband's US citizenship at the time of your son's birth. So a US passport that was valid on the date of your son's birth should work, even if it's expired now. Or your husband's birth certificate showing birth in the US, or a Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship showing that he became a US citizen before your son's birth. Any of those should work.

Your husband doesn't have to be domiciled or residing in the US. He just has to have met the relevant period of physical presence in the US before your son's birth. If only one parent was a US citizen, then the US citizen parent needs to have been physically present in the US before the child's birth for a cumulative total of 5 years, including 2 years after turning 14. This physical presence does not have to be continuous and can be from decades ago, as long as it adds up to the right amount. If both parents were US citizens, then you just need either one of them to have had a "residence" at the US at some point in their life before the child's birth.

Hudson06 Apr 25th 2022 5:30 pm

Thanks for that but that’s why I’m confused. Surely him having a USA passport is proof enough and we don’t have to show further evidence of being in the United States before his birth although we were.

newacct Apr 25th 2022 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Hudson06 (Post 13110203)
Thanks for that but that’s why I’m confused. Surely him having a USA passport is proof enough and we don’t have to show further evidence of being in the United States before his birth although we were.

Being born abroad to a US citizen parent doesn't necessarily mean you are a US citizen. The US citizen parent(s) need to meet the conditions for transmitting US citizenship to a child born abroad at the time of the child's birth.

Hudson06 Apr 25th 2022 5:41 pm

Ah ok, brilliant. Thanks 👍