Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Social Security # and Driving License

Social Security # and Driving License

Old Jan 26th 2001, 10:28 pm
pb0177

Hi

At the moment i'm visting CA on a 3 month tourist Visa from the UK. The problem is that i
don't drive. I have been told that i can take my test out here in the US and obtain a US
driving License. But to do this in California you need a SS#. Some people have told me
that i can't apply for a SS#, if i do i risk deportion. While others have said i can get a
"not for work" SS no.

Where do i stand? Could someone out there clear this up for me.

Rgds

Phil

Old Jan 26th 2001, 11:47 pm
ravada_t

you can drive in california with a UK license, while you are visiting, it is
perfectly legal.

In article <[email protected]>,

> Hi
>
> At the moment i'm visting CA on a 3 month tourist Visa from the UK. The problem is that
> i don't drive. I have been told that i can take
my
> test out here in the US and obtain a US driving License. But to do this in California
> you need a SS#. Some people have told me that i can't apply for a SS#, if i do i risk
> deportion. While others have said i can get a "not for work" SS no.
>
> Where do i stand? Could someone out there clear this up for me.
>
> Rgds
>
> Phil

Old Jan 26th 2001, 11:51 pm
Serge Batalov

pb0177 wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> At the moment i'm visting CA on a 3 month tourist Visa from the UK. The problem is that
> i don't drive. I have been told that i can take my test out here in the US and obtain a
> US driving License. But to do this in California you need a SS#. Some people have told
> me that i can't apply for a SS#, if i do i risk deportation. While others have
no you don't
> said i can get a "not for work" SS no.
>
>
> Rgds
>
> Phil

Phil,

Soc.security clerks in CA dismiss the request for SSN if you would argue that you need a
driving license. Go to your local DMV and you will find that it is not required.

Better yet, have a look in http://www.dmv.ca.gov/newtoca/newtoca.htm

Old Jan 27th 2001, 12:08 am
Joachim Feise

pb0177 wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> i don't drive. I have been told that i can take my test out here in the US and obtain a
> US driving License. But to do this in California you need a SS#. Some people have told
> me that i can't apply for a SS#, if i do i risk deportion. While others have said i can
> get a "not for work" SS no.
>

They used to issue "Not for work" SS cards, but AFAIK, they don't do that anymore. You can
go to a SSA office, you will certainly not risk deportation. They just will tell you that
they are not going to issue you a card.

-Joe

Old Jan 27th 2001, 2:19 am
Rocky Raccoon

Serge Batalov wrote:
>
> pb0177 wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > At the moment i'm visting CA on a 3 month tourist Visa from the UK. The problem is
> > that i don't drive. I have been told that i can take my test out here in the US and
> > obtain a US driving License. But to do this in California you need a SS#. Some
> > people have told me that i can't apply for a SS#, if i do i risk deportation. While
> > others have
> no you don't
> > said i can get a "not for work" SS no.
> >
> > Where do i stand? Could someone out there clear this up for me.
> >
> > Rgds
> >
> > Phil
>
> Phil,
>
> Soc.security clerks in CA dismiss the request for SSN if you would argue that you need a
> driving license.

Not in California. They give you a letter addressed to the DMV explaining why you aren't
eligible for a SSN. This letter is absolutely neccessary for getting a DL. This letter can
be obtained in 10 minutes in any SSN office.

> Go to your local DMV and you will find that it is not required.
>
> Better yet, have a look in http://www.dmv.ca.gov/newtoca/newtoca.htm

--
Rocky

http://www.slack.net/~shiva/rsc.html

Old Jan 27th 2001, 6:44 pm
tey geok peng

Maybe my experience can be of little help.

I got a 6 months tourist visa last year, and I went to DMV to apply for the driving
license. I was asked to show my passpost and the 'white card' for the registation when I
told the officer in the DMV that I don't have SS#. 2 months later I passed my driving
test, DMV sent me to Social Secrurity Dept (SSD) for the SS# in order to obtain the formal
driving license. So I went to the SSD in Oakland, where I filled up the form and submitted
with my temporary driving licence (a piece of paper which DMV issued right after I passed
the test); instead of getting a SS#, I got a photocopied letter for DMV isssued by SSD.
With that letter I got my formal license.

I think the trick here is, DMV knows very well that SSD no longer issue SS# for aliens ( I
don't like the word, it is such unwelcoming!) who are not eligible to work here, but
accroding to the constitution (this is what I suspected), aliens don't need to have SS# in
order to obtain driving license (this can apply to opening account in Bank, etc...); and
the SSD also stand on its feet firmed that it would not issues the SS# for aliens. So the
solution both DMV and SSD worked out is (again, my suspection): for those who seek a SS#
in SSD for the driving license, SSD gives a explanation letter as to why/how it no longer
issue SS# for DMV. By the way, my suspection is based on my experience, coz it took less
than 2 minutes for the officer to issue me a letter in SSD, and later on I found out it
was a photocopied, not the original one printed from Computer.

Also, I think that as long as you are holding a legal status, it is none of the DMV nor
SSD business to question why you need a driving license in California. Who doesn't need a
driving licence in America anyway.

By the way, at the back of my driving license, there is small letter indicated that : This
license is issued as a license to drive a motor vehicle, it does not establish eligibility
for employment, voter registeration, or public benefits. and it valid till August' 2003.

Good luck!

Tee

> pb0177 wrote:
> >
> > Hi
>
> > At the moment i'm visting CA on a 3 month tourist Visa from the UK. The problem is
> > that i don't drive. I have been told that i can take my test out here in the US and
> > obtain a US driving License. But to do this in California you need a SS#. Some people
> > have told me that i can't apply for a SS#, if i do i risk deportion. While others have
> > said i can get a "not for work" SS no.
>
> > Where do i stand? Could someone out there clear this up for me.
>
> They used to issue "Not for work" SS cards, but AFAIK, they don't do that anymore. You
> can go to a SSA office, you will certainly not risk deportation. They just will tell you
> that they are not going to issue you a card.
>
> -Joe

Old Jan 28th 2001, 7:07 pm
ken008

:

>Hi
>
>At the moment i'm visting CA on a 3 month tourist Visa from the UK. The problem is that i
>don't drive. I have been told that i can take my test out here in the US and obtain a US
>driving License. But to do this in California you need a SS#. Some people have told me
>that i can't apply for a SS#, if i do i risk deportion. While others have said i can get
>a "not for work" SS no.
>
>Where do i stand? Could someone out there clear this up for me.
>
>Rgds
>
>Phil
>
>

I was in the same situation 2 years ago. I went to Social Security Office, filled out the
form, and mentioned that I need SS# for driver licence. I got the SS# by mail about 2
weeks later, applied for the licenece, made the test...etc. and passed the test, and got
the temporaray Driver licence.

So far I'm informed, the california has passed the new law, that as visitor you don't need
ss# to apply for driver licende. My suggestion: why don't you go to the next DMV office
for the most accurate information ?

Old Jan 29th 2001, 6:30 pm
Siva

My wife was in a similar situation (H-4) in Pennsylvania about a year ago. We had to
get a letter from the DMV stating that a social security number is required for the
driver's license and we had to give this letter to the SS office. Then they gave her a
not-valid for employment social security card. With this, she was able to get a normal
driver's license.

-Siva

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

>
> >Hi
> >
> >At the moment i'm visting CA on a 3 month tourist Visa from the UK. The problem is that
> >i don't drive. I have been told that i can take
my
> >test out here in the US and obtain a US driving License. But to do this in California
> >you need a SS#. Some people have told me that i can't apply for a SS#, if i do i risk
> >deportion. While others have said i can get a "not for work" SS no.
> >
> >Where do i stand? Could someone out there clear this up for me.
> >
> >Rgds
> >
> >Phil
> >
> >

>
> I was in the same situation 2 years ago. I went to Social Security Office, filled out
> the form, and mentioned that I need SS# for driver licence. I got the SS# by mail about
> 2 weeks later, applied for the licenece, made the test...etc. and passed the test, and
> got the temporaray Driver licence.
>
> So far I'm informed, the california has passed the new law, that as visitor you don't
> need ss# to apply for driver licende. My suggestion: why don't you go to the next DMV
> office for the most accurate information ?