Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

So Many Questions, I Dont Know Where To Start!

Wikiposts

So Many Questions, I Dont Know Where To Start!

Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:30 am
Just Joined

jenk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So Many Questions, I Dont Know Where To Start!

WOW Im so pleased I have found this site!

My husband and I are looking into moving to USA (Orlando) and we are hoping that you would be able to help us with a few questions. We hope you don’t mind.

My Husband would be able to relocate with the help of his employer as he works for an America IT company. As we are married would I automatically be allowed to enter and work in the US?

I don’t have a degree so would I find gaining employment difficult? Right now I work for an engineering consultancy as a project manager and have worked in the water industry for over 14 years. Would my experience help me gain similar employment or is a degree / college cert needed?

How does the water industry work in the US? Id there one utility company that covers Orlando? If so what is the name of it so I can look into opportunities there?

Does anyone know of any job websites I could look at, just to get an idea of what employment opportunities there are?

We both drive and have paper and photo licences, will these be valid in America or will we have to take lessons and re-take our test?

Many thanks, I hope you all dont mind me asking so many questions.

Emma
x
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So Many Questions, I Dont Know Where To Start!

Originally Posted by jenk

My husband and I are looking into moving to USA (Orlando) and we are hoping that you would be able to help us with a few questions. We hope you don’t mind.

My Husband would be able to relocate with the help of his employer as he works for an America IT company. As we are married would I automatically be allowed to enter and work in the US?

I don’t have a degree so would I find gaining employment difficult? Right now I work for an engineering consultancy as a project manager and have worked in the water industry for over 14 years. Would my experience help me gain similar employment or is a degree / college cert needed?

How does the water industry work in the US? Id there one utility company that covers Orlando? If so what is the name of it so I can look into opportunities there?

Does anyone know of any job websites I could look at, just to get an idea of what employment opportunities there are?

We both drive and have paper and photo licences, will these be valid in America or will we have to take lessons and re-take our test?

Many thanks, I hope you all dont mind me asking so many questions.

Emma
x
Welcome! Others with more helpful info will be along shortly. As for your question regarding the utility company - google turned this up:

http://www.ouc.com/

Best of luck to you!
Old Oct 21st 2007, 5:19 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

You'll find a lot of answers in the VISA section - off the top of my head, I imagine a VISA allowing your husband to work in the US through his company will let you live with him, but won't let you work.

It's a pretty awkward toss up - the opportunity to live and work in the states, but the problem of suddenly only having one income.

Mind you, pay is often better in the states. My wife is allowed to work here, but is currently taking a vacation from the 9 to 5 (which we could never have afforded to do in England) and wonders why she hadn't thought of marrying somebody richer than me in the first place, so she could be a stay-at-home-wife!!
Old Oct 21st 2007, 5:42 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I presume that's L visa territory, then yes

you'll need to re-take your test. but you won't need lessons. the test is a piece of piss if you've driven before, and not nearly as difficult as the one in the UK.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 5:58 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Why Orlando? Is that the only place your husband's company has offices?

If he's truly transferred on an L visa, then yes, you'd be allowed to work. If instead he comes on an H-1B visa, then you would not be allowed to work. "IT" is such a broad category. Is your husband a manager?

The "water industry" is similarly broad. Do you mean water treatment facilities? Wastewater treatment? Environmental planning? Conservation/ecology? From the "utility company" I'd guess you mean the entity that takes water from a raw reservoir (ground, surface), treats it, and sends it to customers. These kinds of utilities tend to be run by each city rather than by a big company that serves the entire state. Search around and see if there's an American professional association with members whose credentials and job duties roughly match yours. You might have to take courses or sit exams to become accredited, but it wouldn't be impossible. You could also compare salaries, because you may find that you would be paid LESS here.

Good luck with the research. If you really want to live in the US, don't limit yourself to just Florida.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:02 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Your husband should ask his employer about the type of visa they'd be applying for. This would determine whether you'd receive a visa that allowed you to work.

Assuming you're eligible to work in the US, there are some possible issues you'd have finding work. One is not having a degree. Then again, you say you have over 14 years experience in one industry. The US water industry is likely to be different to the UK in that the industry in FL would have to meet both Federal and State regulations. I'm not sure how transferable your skills would be to all this.

You should do a search to find out the name of the water company that covers Orlando.

If I were you, first confirm you will be getting a visa that allows you to work before going down this road.

No. Once you're resident in a state, you're obliged to get a US license for that state. Check on the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles website.

<<snip>>
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Welcome to BE!

You'll find a lot of answers in the VISA section - off the top of my head, I imagine a VISA allowing your husband to work in the US through his company will let you live with him, but won't let you work.

It's a pretty awkward toss up - the opportunity to live and work in the states, but the problem of suddenly only having one income.

Mind you, pay is often better in the states. My wife is allowed to work here, but is currently taking a vacation from the 9 to 5 (which we could never have afforded to do in England) and wonders why she hadn't thought of marrying somebody richer than me in the first place, so she could be a stay-at-home-wife!!
Not necessarily...my husband transferred on a L1 visa. My work permit came in the mail a few weeks later...fortunately I was able to talk my way out of it.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:57 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not necessarily...my husband transferred on a L1 visa. My work permit came in the mail a few weeks later...fortunately I was able to talk my way out of it.
Hilarious!
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:32 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I are looking into moving to USA (Orlando) .............x

Why?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Why?
Obviously northerners ..who want to be surrounded by their own
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:38 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Obviously northerners ..who want to be surrounded by their own
nothing wrong with northerners, Ray.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cutina
nothing wrong with northerners, Ray.
Have you been to Orlando ...
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Have you been to Orlando ...
I have
Nice place to visit for a holiday ............. NO WAY ! I'd want to live there. (too near Clearwater )
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

How does the water industry work in the US?

Emma
x
99% of the time ? ...... You hire a company, they come along and drill a hole a couple of hundred feet down, fit a pump and filter and BINGO ! ..... you have running water !

Thats no joke either
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:56 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Why?
because that's where they're being sent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.