So Highly Thought Of

Old Jan 29th 2006, 5:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So Highly Thought Of

Originally Posted by Crispyuk88
The Visa/Green card thing is something I still don’t understand, especially all this Green card havoc going on at the moment. Did they temporarily stop giving them out now because something happened?
There are two issues with the Green Card system:

- inefficient processing at some CIS (formerly INS) centres; and
- the fact that in some categories the number of people who qualify is far in excess of the number of green cards available => long and increasing wait times.

http://travel.state.gov and http://www.cis.gov are the places to find out more.

Jeremy
Old Jan 29th 2006, 7:50 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

I can't quite understand why the British are so critical of their own country. I mean yes, it does have it faults, but this whole 'grotty old England' mentality is really quite narrowminded I think. I have lived in several different countries, but this is by far my favourite. I love the history, the culture, the internationalism, just everything. I have had some bad experiences, yes, but that was largely down to being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and making some wrong decisions. By and large though, I love it. My god, it seems like you have to be a foreigner to appreciate what a great country the UK is

And Crispy, you seem like a very mature young man with his head firmly in the right place! Make an adventure of it, and go with what feels right. This is YOUR life and no one else's, so do it your way. Your parents had the freedom to move halfway across the world, and so do you. Good luck

-Becs

PS

America wasn't my cup of tea either

Last edited by Becs; Jan 29th 2006 at 7:57 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

My god, it seems like you have to be a foreigner to appreciate what a great country the UK is
I drink to that cheers
Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Dually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the rough

I just posted an almost exact thread of this of my own on another forum yesterday, so this has been very interesting to read

Can I just say, as opinions go, there may be nothing "tangible" you can put your finger on for explaining to folks why you don't like the US - particularly if they've never lived here and are only going on hearsay (or "media"-say or word of mouth). Eventually, like my sister and I have learned over the years of being dual nationals and having two feet in both worlds, you'll learn that folks will ask you until the cows come home why you didn't feel as comfortable in a place and the only defensible answer you'll have is "just because". People will find an argument to any other answer you give them.

My sister and I have an American father and a Scottish mother and grew up here in the US and traveled when we could to Scotland. We grew up POOR in the US - and traveled periodically to the UK - which is to say we saved up for years to travel to the UK. So we have a drastically different view of the US than many immigrants (who aren't refugees -and I do volunteer work with refugees so...).

Nevertheless my parents eventually made it to the lower middle class - my mom married my dad when she was 19 - (he was in the navy) - hit the road to the US and never looked back. With the said, I do think my grandparents and aunts got the impression that things were better over here from what they saw than what they have back in the UK. They saw that my parents eventually got a house, cars, etc. I know for a fact, that my parents never told them of the difficulties of any debts, etc. Again, my grandparents grew up in the WW2 generation - and truly struggled for money. Add to that, the unfortunate situation that my mother's sister's husband left her for an American woman because he wholeheartedly believed America was soooo much better.

My sister and I are relocating to the UK in April - and we're now in our mid-30s. Like you, we've spent the better part of the last year in argument after argument with our family members (those in Scotland) over why we're NOT out of minds relocating to Scotland (which in their mind is going to h*** in a handbasket). No matter how many times I throw statistics back at them (yes, this many jobs were lost this month in Scotland - well, let's do some sort of statistical comparison relatively speaking; yes, the economy is this way, well let's compare this; yes, petrol is expensive, okay you've got me there, but the lack of public transport is a problem; yes, rents are like this - okay well I live in Baltimore, and rents are about the same; crime is getting out of control in Scotland - ummm, let's weigh the averages here where I live; the NHS may have problems, but I can't even get health insurance here). I think that may be the kind of points that you're getting at.

Over time, my emotions often got the best of me - I took it as my family not wanting us to come over. My sister was much more level headed about it- and took your stance - there comes a point when all the research, point-to-point examples, logic and debate in the world, won't show them what you already know - that you're doing a good, right or important thing for your life. Again, like you, we've come to understand that our family - in their frustrating, argumentative, pig-headed way, really only wants the best at heart for us.

Keeping in mind, as JAG suggested - that you're absolutely certain that you don't burn any bridges regarding visas before you understand the consequences.

Otherwise, try to rest easy - after all, debate after debate after debate goes on in this forum about people making the right decisions on which country and culture is the right place for them - and who can know until they've actually lived there?
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

the irony is, you can't reconcile stepford with making bread. A real stepford would just go to the shops!!!

Brits get stuffed in their thousands moving to Legoland as amazulu put it. STAY CLEAR WARNING WARNING
Old Feb 4th 2006, 9:22 am
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eurotramp
I drink to that cheers
Oh, I knew you'd agree

When do you move to London?

-Becs