British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Snl (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/snl-370459/)

cutina Apr 29th 2006 4:01 am

Snl

I'm watching an old episode of Saturday Night Live. So many of my American friends find it hilarious, and like to say lines from it. I have really, really tried, but i just don't find it funny.

:confused:

Can someone tell me what i am missing? :o

Sally Apr 29th 2006 4:04 am

Re: Snl

Originally Posted by cutina
I'm watching an old episode of Saturday Night Live. So many of my American friends find it hilarious, and like to say lines from it. I have really, really tried, but i just don't find it funny.

It's a real mystery to me. When i was feeling down about coming here, someone suggested a sure-fire cure - watching snl. I don't THINK so.

cutina Apr 29th 2006 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
It's a real mystery to me. When i was feeling down about coming here, someone suggested a sure-fire cure - watching snl. I don't THINK so.

today i told a colleague that i was going to yoga... and he was in hysterics telling me about an SNL sketch with Will Ferrell doing yoga. No, i don't want to see that guy with his legs around his ears and his head in his pants for 6 years- funny as it may seem :rolleyes:

AdobePinon Apr 29th 2006 4:15 am

SNL is one of those things I like to occasionally watch just to be sure I'm not 100% American. Sure enough, still don't find it funny...

Bob Apr 29th 2006 4:16 am

I think it's pretty shite too, but there's the odd amusing moment I guess...

Thydney Apr 29th 2006 4:51 am

an I thought it was just me :D :D

tony_2003 Apr 29th 2006 5:40 am

Only time it's ever been funny is when Christopher Walken is on it.

Guest21 Apr 29th 2006 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by cutina

It's Crap lol I tried also to watch it as it was a ritual in my house every damn Saturday night we had to watch it, as he had been doing so for years.
It reminded me of bad 60's 70's sketchs on the TV back in the UK (Wait it was never that bad back home was it?) I used to cring watching SNL as I feel embarrased for the actors anyone remeber Junior Show Time?

CHEESY

Sophia_S Apr 29th 2006 1:04 pm

...can't stand it either!...although I have seen a few of the real early shows(when John Belushi was in it),they were pretty funny....now it's just pathetic at best!...also heard quite a bit about Little Britain on BBC America....I must've been away from the UK too long because I can't make head or tail of that either!....Sophia :confused:

elfman Apr 29th 2006 1:38 pm

Quite a few times we've been with various American friends on a Saturday night and they've gone "ooh we must watch SNL". And every time they switch it off after about 20 minutes and go "hmm. it used to be a lot funnier in the 80s/early 90s/when so-and-so was in it".

In my experience there are two types of sketch on SNL;
1. Funny to start with but the funny idea gets flogged to death as the sketch goes on way too long.
2. Not funny to start with.

Patrick Hasler Apr 29th 2006 2:14 pm

It's the US/UK difference in sense of humour. I don't find it very funny either. Americans think it's hillarious ........... but then again they think Benny Hill and are you being served are hillarious too :cool:

Thydney Apr 29th 2006 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
....also heard quite a bit about Little Britain on BBC America....I must've been away from the UK too long because I can't make head or tail of that either!....Sophia :confused:

I agree vastly overrated

NC Penguin Apr 29th 2006 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by tony_2003

...as "The Continental" (I think that's the name of his character)! Now that was hillarious.

The early SNLs from the 70s-early 90s are far more more humorous than today's members. I prefer to watch Mad TV over SNL these days... :)

NC Penguin

Lord Lionheart Apr 29th 2006 4:33 pm

I think SNL is living on it's legacy as actors such as Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, Will Ferrell, Mike Meyers(Austin Powers), Adam Sandler, Dennis Miller, Chris Farley and John Belushi all started out on SNL. Even the ' classic' 70's SNL's are shite, you literally have to watch hours of it to see anything remotely humorous.
It is amazing how many actors have used this show as a springboard to launch their movie careers, absolute shite, but so are many of their movies..........

Jerseygirl Apr 29th 2006 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by tony_2003

I agree. Alec Baldwin is very funny too. There was also an episode with Christine Aguilera about a year ago that was hilarious. I reckon that there are only one or maybe two good episodes per season.