Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:16 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 12
wiizkiid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Hello everyone,

I came across this website while trying to gather information and I thought it would be wise to sign up and communicate with you wonderful people.

So you've seen that I would like to make the move to the US...where? well it's early days for us yet so the research is still in the works.

My real question is in relation to Visas. I have looked at them and I am not entirely sure which category I would fit into, can you help please?

I'll try and keep it short!

So I have a BSc (Hons) Computer Networks and Systems Support degree along with professional IT certifications from a global vendor called Cisco. I currently work in the UK as a Network Security Engineer dealing with all things related to Cybersecurity, maintenance of networks around the world and so on. I know network security is in demand all around the world and with that said, I hope this would better my chances.

I would be looking at making the move with my wife and three kids too. My wife is currently a manager in a school kitchen and holds various catering qualifications too which I hope would help.

Any advice would be much appreciated :-)
wiizkiid is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:25 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,377
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Hello again.

Take a look through the following...if you fit into one of the categories you may have a chance of moving Stateside.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:27 pm
  #3  
Often not so civil...
 
civilservant's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Boonies, GA
Posts: 8,469
civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

From what you have said, your only option would be to find an employer willing to sponsor you (costing them many thousands) for an H1B visa. Your wife would receive a derivative H4 and would not be able to work. The best you would be looking at is applying in April 2017 for an October 2017 start.

Better option might be to find a UK employer that would be willing to move you over on an L1 after a year or so.

Check the wiki at the top and look for Pulaskis Ways - that lists the ways to live and work in the US.
civilservant is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:40 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 12
wiizkiid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Thank you for providing that information - just what I was looking for.
wiizkiid is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:03 pm
  #5  
L/R
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 49,526
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

If you are British and work for a British owned and controlled business you could be transferred immediately to the US, literally zero time working for them in the UK, on an E-2 visa.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:18 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 12
wiizkiid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
If you are British and work for a British owned and controlled business you could be transferred immediately to the US, literally zero time working for them in the UK, on an E-2 visa.
Hello,

I am British and work for a British company who operate in other countries aside from the US.

literally zero time working for them in the UK, on an E-2 visa
I'm not sure I am following you on this bit, could you please explain.

Thanks in advance.
wiizkiid is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:25 pm
  #7  
L/R
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 49,526
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Originally Posted by wiizkiid View Post
Hello,

I am British and work for a British company who operate in other countries aside from the US.

literally zero time working for them in the UK, on an E-2 visa
I'm not sure I am following you on this bit, could you please explain.

Thanks in advance.
If you want to use the L-1 visa you must work for your employer for 365 days outside the US before you can be transferred to the US to continue working for your employer. You must also add any days during that year that you spend in the US, so if you spend four weeks visiting your employer's US office you would need to add those 28 days to the 365.

If you switch jobs and are eligible for an E-2 (you're British, your employer is British), you could be hired and report for your first day's work at your new employer's US office. Hence there is "literally zero time [required] working for them in the UK". Sorry, I didn't phrase that well, and it is still clumsy.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:30 pm
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,865
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Originally Posted by wiizkiid View Post
So I have a BSc (Hons) Computer Networks and Systems Support degree along with professional IT certifications from a global vendor called Cisco. I currently work in the UK as a Network Security Engineer dealing with all things related to Cybersecurity, maintenance of networks around the world and so on.
Would you be open to going back to school? There are many universities in the US that offer master's degrees in forensic science with specializations in digital forensics. As important as cybersecurity is, digital forensics is on the leading edge of things... and not just in the US!

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:31 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 12
wiizkiid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Thank you for your response and thank you for clearing that up.

I will look into this further.
wiizkiid is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2016, 4:32 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 38
McBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Originally Posted by wiizkiid View Post
Hello everyone,

I came across this website while trying to gather information and I thought it would be wise to sign up and communicate with you wonderful people.

So you've seen that I would like to make the move to the US...where? well it's early days for us yet so the research is still in the works.

My real question is in relation to Visas. I have looked at them and I am not entirely sure which category I would fit into, can you help please?

I'll try and keep it short!

So I have a BSc (Hons) Computer Networks and Systems Support degree along with professional IT certifications from a global vendor called Cisco. I currently work in the UK as a Network Security Engineer dealing with all things related to Cybersecurity, maintenance of networks around the world and so on. I know network security is in demand all around the world and with that said, I hope this would better my chances.

I would be looking at making the move with my wife and three kids too. My wife is currently a manager in a school kitchen and holds various catering qualifications too which I hope would help.

Any advice would be much appreciated :-)
Hello!

I have a BSc (Hons) Computer Science degree and worked as a software engineer for ~7 years with a global vendor that was called Cisco System... :-)

I interviewed for a couple of remote positions in the US and they transferred me out on their blanket L1B within about 3-5 months.

In retrospect after reading this forum, it was pretty easy.

Good luck!

A.
McBadger is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2016, 4:38 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 38
McBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Originally Posted by wiizkiid View Post
along with professional IT certifications from a global vendor called Cisco.
Ah, I just re-read and realised I mis-read this.

Certainly working for Cisco would have made it a lot easier. Perhaps that's something you may want to try, though it does mean you'll need to spend the year before you can achieve the L1B (in addition to the other requirements, and manager support).

At least they'll pay for the CCIE-Security.

If you're not at CCIE level, I'd say it's going to be tougher to get that move internally.
McBadger is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2016, 7:51 am
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 12
wiizkiid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Hello McBadger,

Thank you for your response.

This sounds like the most achievable way to make it happen. Currently working towards the CCNP so not too far off CCIE but also working towards Check Point vendor certs which im sure would hold some weight.

Wow it looks like they moved you quick, its nice to know the process isn't too long. Are you still with Cisco now may I ask?
wiizkiid is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2016, 12:42 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 12
wiizkiid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
Would you be open to going back to school? There are many universities in the US that offer master's degrees in forensic science with specializations in digital forensics. As important as cybersecurity is, digital forensics is on the leading edge of things... and not just in the US!

Ian
Hi,

Yes I would be open to going back to University - but I would probably need a visa that would allow me to work too.
wiizkiid is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2016, 1:41 pm
  #14  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,865
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Originally Posted by wiizkiid View Post
Yes I would be open to going back to University...
Great!


... I would probably need a visa that would allow me to work too.
Ah... well, an F-1 visa would allow you to work on a very limited basis - but you wouldn't be able to work full-time... and your wife wouldn't be allowed to work at all.

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2016, 5:00 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 38
McBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skilled IT Professional looking to make the move!!

Originally Posted by wiizkiid View Post
Hello McBadger,

Thank you for your response.

This sounds like the most achievable way to make it happen. Currently working towards the CCNP so not too far off CCIE but also working towards Check Point vendor certs which im sure would hold some weight.

Wow it looks like they moved you quick, its nice to know the process isn't too long. Are you still with Cisco now may I ask?
I'm not longer at Cisco. If you've got a green card and work in "the valley", you've got to try a startup at least once.

Getting a job for a large US company and working your way up there seems very doable for you. At some point a lot of US companies will ask if you want to move to the US if you are senior. It's often the only real career progression.

Good luck!

A.
McBadger is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.