British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Sister-in-law (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/sister-law-275215/)

cokey Jan 4th 2005 8:14 am

Sister-in-law

Hi,

I currently have a brother-in-law and his wife living in Atlanta, he has just recieved his green card.
If he or his wife begins starts the process to sponsor me and my wife, how long would this take, roughly?
Would the process be sped up any if we hired a good lawyer?
Also, can my sister-in-law sponsor us? I have looked at the immigration web site but it does not state there.

I am currently looking for an H1B sponsor also, as I am a software developer with a university degree and over 6 years experience.
Am I more likely to get a position this way quicker?

Basically we want to be with our family and are keen to get there sooner than later.

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom
Kind regards
Col

crg Jan 4th 2005 10:31 am

Re: Sister-in-law

Originally Posted by cokey
Hi,

I currently have a brother-in-law and his wife living in Atlanta, he has just recieved his green card.
If he or his wife begins starts the process to sponsor me and my wife, how long would this take, roughly?
Would the process be sped up any if we hired a good lawyer?
Also, can my sister-in-law sponsor us? I have looked at the immigration web site but it does not state there.

I am currently looking for an H1B sponsor also, as I am a software developer with a university degree and over 6 years experience.
Am I more likely to get a position this way quicker?

Basically we want to be with our family and are keen to get there sooner than later.

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom
Kind regards
Col

Green card holders cannot sponsor siblings. Even when they become US citizens it would still take from 12 to 22 years (depending on which country you are from) and could be even longer by the time your priority date is reached. A lawyer would not speed up this process.

An H1B would be faster, but those are hard to get right now too.

hubbard Jan 6th 2005 1:37 am

Get your wife's father to sponsor you both for a GC, you mentioned previously that he was a US Cit. That would be your best route. Not sure how long it takes but I think it is quicker than the sibling sponsorship route, and probably your only option if the sibling is only a GC holder not a US cit.

cokey Jan 6th 2005 7:18 am

Hey, thanks guys for your repsonses.

Is it possible for the sister-in-law to sponsor us?

Regards
Col

Rete Jan 6th 2005 12:55 pm

Hey, thanks guys for your repsonses.

Is it possible for the sister-in-law to sponsor us?

Regards
Col

I believe the above responses already told you that if the sister-in-law is a USC she can sponsor her sister but that the wait would be over 10 years.

If she is not, then no she can't. Also I don't believe a parent's sponsorship will include the spouse of a child. I thought only unmarried children could be sponsored.

I know someone will correct me quickly if I am incorrect.

Does either you or your wife have hold citizenship in another country which is eligible to participate in the diversity lottery? British citizens can't. However, citizen of Ireland can.

fatbrit Jan 6th 2005 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Does either you or your wife have hold citizenship in another country which is eligible to participate in the diversity lottery? British citizens can't. However, citizen of Ireland can.

I'll leave JAJ too sort you out on this one because he is much more eloquent and intelligent than me. However, I'll state that it has nothing to do with *citizenship*.

Rete Jan 6th 2005 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'll leave JAJ too sort you out on this one because he is much more eloquent and intelligent than me. However, I'll state that it has nothing to do with *citizenship*.

Right ... probably should be national or something ;-)

fatbrit Jan 6th 2005 4:37 pm

Right ... probably should be national or something ;-)

Something like that -- but it always gets me confused! Give him a yell and he'll put us right!

cokey Jan 6th 2005 4:38 pm

Thanks again guys,

I reckon that the family sponsor idea is gonna take way to long.

I think the only way for me is the H1B way, just need some contacts to get my resume to the right person and not just the personnel department who will toss it into the bin straight away!

The UK sucks and I just want me and my family to be with the rest of our family in the US.

Guess I will just have to keep plugging away at the software companies and maybe one of them will take me on.
I have been stating that I will pay their expenses for the visa etc. so it may happen.

Maybe I should start to play the lottery as well :)

Kind regards
Col

Manc Jan 6th 2005 5:06 pm

The UK sucks

it does, why?

Ray Jan 6th 2005 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
it does, why?

The grass is always greener ..where you can't be....

crg Jan 6th 2005 11:20 pm

Also I don't believe a parent's sponsorship will include the spouse of a child. I thought only unmarried children could be sponsored.

I know someone will correct me quickly if I am incorrect.

A married son or daughter of a US citizen is 3rd preference (F31). Their spouse is an F32, and their children are F33. The current wait is from 7 to 14 years.

jjf Jan 7th 2005 1:06 am

Concerning the Diversity Green Card Lottery

Rete wrote:
    > > I'll leave JAJ too sort you out on this one because he is much more
    > > eloquent and intelligent than me. However, I'll state that it has
    > > nothing to do with *citizenship*.
    > Right ... probably should be national or something ;-)

No, much simpler than that. It's where you are born that matters.
Nothing to do with citizenship, nationality, or any other complex
concepts.

jjf Jan 7th 2005 1:09 am

cokey wrote:
    > The UK sucks

and the US doesn't?

> Guess I will just have to keep plugging away at the software
    > companies and maybe one of them will take me on.
    > I have been stating that I will pay their expenses for the visa etc.

That's illegal.

> Maybe I should start to play the lottery as well :)
Always a good idea if you are eligible.

cokey Jan 7th 2005 11:11 am

> Maybe I should start to play the lottery as well :)
Always a good idea if you are eligible.[/QUOTE]

Hey,

I actually meant the Uk's national lottery not the green card lottery, as I am no eligible.
If I win a few million quid then it will all be a lot simpler.

:)

Regards
Col