single parent move to California

Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

r32gtr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: single parent move to California

Originally Posted by N1cky
I currently know 3 people looking for work in personal training and sports rehab. They all have degrees from good US universities. Why would a US company employ you, when it will cost them $$$, when they can employ people who are already here at 0 cost?
strength and conditioning isnt sports rehab sports rehab i would be training athletes at the highest level
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r32gtr
how do i go about getting a visa for me and my daughter ..
Back to your original question. You would apply to potential employers and find one who wants to hire you and sponsor you for a work visa. The employer is the one who gets the ball rolling on any visa you might qualify for. There is very little for you to do except apply and let them know you need a work visa. It's up to them to follow through.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Back to your original question. You would apply to potential employers and find one who wants to hire you and sponsor you for a work visa. The employer is the one who gets the ball rolling on any visa you might qualify for. There is very little for you to do except apply and let them know you need a work visa. It's up to them to follow through.

Rene
so would i just email them direct?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

How you do your job hunting is up to you. Just do the same thing you would do if you were job hunting closer to home.

In general, the best way to get a foot in the door is by networking, that works for most industries, not sure about yours.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You need to understand the mindset of most US employers: if they don't understand the language you speak, they'll toss your letter in the bin. Why? Because that's easier than trying to decipher your information. US English and UK English are like night and day when trying to sell yourself to an employer. Make sure your résumé reflects US standards. Translate your UK qualifications into terms that a US employer can understand. Hint = no one here knows what A levels are... and a BSc is more usually written BS. Adjust your training qualifications accordingly. If you put down dates, use US style.

Don't forget what I wrote in an earlier message: getting a job is easy; getting someone to sponsor you is very difficult.

Ian
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

ok that makes sense the degree im going to do is BSc i have a few personal trainer mates in america that can help with the wording
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

BostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant future

you would have thought with all my military experience it would have made it easier to go that route? im a fully trained class 1 medic done snipers part 1's machine gunners cardre have a tank licence mortars trained pti and i was a corporal on leaving i know people go off to the australian and canadian armies with out too much trouble
Why? there are millions of US citizens and GC holders ready to join, why would they possibly care about your military experience in the UK, except for listing military experience on you GC application for security purposes.....Australia and Canada are part of the Commonwealth so very easier to "transfer", but im sure you knew that.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Club I belong to, the trainers are it seems self employed.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
.... Don't forget what I wrote in an earlier message: getting a job is easy; getting someone to sponsor you is very difficult. ....
Getting a job is easy, if you are already resident in the US and don't need any sort of visa sponsorship. Many others (including me) know from experience that if you already have a visa, or even if you're a USC, and not resident in the US, getting potential employers to pay any attention whatsoever to your application/CV is almost impossible. In the case of sports trainers I doubt that gyms and sports facilities, including college athletic programs, would have any interest in a trainer from overseas and needing visa sponsorship, except perhaps if they have worked at the highest level, for example as a successful Olympic trainer, or experience in a specialty area that is not commonly available in the US, such as British military PT instruction. (I was joking about the last bit. .)

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 28th 2014 at 11:09 am.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

And you'd need current contacts in the industry also.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In order to join the US army, you must first be a permanent resident (= green card).

Ian
There is a new pilot program to let in non-LPRs but I don't know if that is limited to undocumented immigrants here in the states.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

Not heard of that, you are not thinking of PIP are you?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not heard of that, you are not thinking of PIP are you?
I don't know what PIP is but late last year I was at a job fair my employer put together. Among 120 employers
showed up to accept applications, among them was the Air Force and I chatted with one of the officers offering a package to a kid that was born in Mexico but grew up here without papers.

I asked and he said there is a new program, by executive decision, that allows a limited number of non-LPRs to enter the military.

I don't know any other details.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

That sounds like DACA but that does not allow people to sign up. There is MAVNI, but I can not see how that would apply.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

paolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nicepaolomcmillan is just really nice

I currently hold a BSc and am shortly going to gain my MSc in Physiology & Sports Science.

If it helps it seems really difficult to get employed in the USA as a S&C coach without going down the marriage route beforehand but I've been working at the elite level in European Football for 2 years now which is sort of swinging in my favour at the moment with ongoing discussions. It might help if you can get experience before trying to move over? Sports Science is beginning to grow in the USA over the last few years too so might be worthwhile looking into. America is pretty much the hub of the strength and conditioning research and has been for a long time with some of the best coaches in the world coming from there so breaking through at the elite level could take many years. Some guys in the NFL have been there for >20 years now. I'm currently enrolling in a PhD programme to enhance my chances of gaining a position in elite sports in the USA. It's largely uncommon for that to be seen so could be a long term option for yourself.