Wikiposts

Singapore-USA citizenship

Old Feb 19th 2003, 10:51 am
Just Joined

la guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Singapore-US (LPR-citizenship)

Peter

You probably are well versed with regard to Singapore vs USA matters. My wife is a Singaporean.

Can you advise the following? Input from anyone else with experience/opinion are welcome too:-

1. As a LPR of USA and a citizen of Singapore, could she maintain two international passports without conflict? One in her maiden name and one in her married name?

2. Without giving up her Singapore citizenship, can her CPF money be withdrawn before the specified age?

3. As a LPR of USA and a citizen of Singapore, does she have to file Income Taxes in both country, assuming she goes back to the workforce in USA ? I understand there is no Tax Treaty between these two countries, but I may be wrong.

Really puzzled and we have no clue what to do at all.

Appreciate all input.
Thanks.
Old Feb 19th 2003, 10:57 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore-US (LPR-citizenship)

> Originally posted by la guy
> Peter
>
> You probably are well versed with regard to Singapore vs USA
> matters. My wife is a Singaporean.

Well, I'm aware of some aspects of Singaporean citizenship law. Less so on the USA part.

> 1. As a LPR of USA and a citizen of Singapore, could she
> maintain two international passports without conflict? One in
> her maiden name and one in her married name?

No. That's not legal from the Singaporean standpoint. She runs the risk of getting into trouble with the Singapore immigration authorities.

> 2. Without giving up her Singapore citizenship, can her CPF
> money be withdrawn before the specified age?

Absolutely not.

> 3. As a LPR of USA and a citizen of Singapore, does she have to
> file Income Taxes in both country, assuming she goes back to
> the workforce in USA ? I understand there is no Tax Treaty
> between these two countries, but I may be wrong.

Singapore does not levy taxes based solely on citizenship. This means that a Singaporean who is not residing in Singapore need not pay any Singaporean taxes so long as no income is derived from Singapore. Your wife merely needs to inform the Singapore tax authorities in writing that she is no longer in Singapore. She may back this up by presenting her immigrant visa as well as registering with the nearest Singapore embassy/consulate in the USA. Note that if your wife is not a Singaporean by birth (i.e. if she is a Singapore by naturalization or registration), she is required, by law, to register at the nearest Singapore consulate to affirm her intention of retaining her Singapore citizenship, if the duration of stay in the foreign country is more than 5 years. Failure to do so may result in the loss of her Singapore citizenship.

HTH

Peter