Sibling Petition for US residency

Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

joey832 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sibling Petition for US residency

Hi, has anyone gone through getting US residency/green card by being sponsored by a sibling.

I am a British citizen, female, aged 36, unmarried. Have a MSc.

My sister has been a US citizen for 5 years, resided for 8 yrs. My parents don't like the US so wont be joining her. I have visited her every year in Mass and love it.

I know that the official average wait is 12 years depending on country.

I was wondering if anyone from the United Kingdom has obtained US residency by being sponsored by a sibling.

Any information would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sibling Petition for US residency

Originally Posted by joey832
I was wondering if anyone from the United Kingdom has obtained US residency by being sponsored by a sibling.
Yes, I'm sure someone from the UK has done this. Your sister can start the process for you by filing USCIS form I-130.

Ian
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Sorry I wasn't very clear. More specifically I would like to hear how long this category of applicant from the United Kingdom would take.

Sibling sponsorship is given the least preference of all the family. Certain countries take longer, e.g A Philipine citizen has an average wait of 21 years.

I'm hoping to hear from someone from the UK, who can tell me it'll take a lot less than the 12 years stated by several sources on the internet.

Thanks anyway for the reply.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine was sponsored by his sister ..he arrive 2 years ago..
exactly 13 years to the day the application went in ....

There is no shortcuts ..other than finding a US citizen to marry
Now my BIL is available ...
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Heather142 will become famous soon enoughHeather142 will become famous soon enough

Sorry I wasn't very clear. More specifically I would like to hear how long this category of applicant from the United Kingdom would take.

Sibling sponsorship is given the least preference of all the family. Certain countries take longer, e.g A Philipine citizen has an average wait of 21 years.

I'm hoping to hear from someone from the UK, who can tell me it'll take a lot less than the 12 years stated by several sources on the internet.

Sorry to say that it was just over 12 years for us! Time line indicated in signature.

If you would like to PM me for any specific questions please feel free to do so.

Heather
Old Sep 10th 2007, 3:32 am
Joe Feise

joey832 wrote on 09/09/07 14:51:

>
> Sorry I wasn't very clear. More specifically I would like to hear how
> long this category of applicant from the United Kingdom would take.

The same as for people from most other countries.

> I'm hoping to hear from someone from the UK, who can tell me it'll take
> a lot less than the 12 years stated by several sources on the internet.

What part of "All Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed" in the Visa Bulletin
don't you understand???
This applies to people from the UK, Canada, Germany, France, Spain, and all
other countries that are not specifically listed in the Visa Bulletin.
Geez, it is not that hard to understand...

--
I am not a lawyer.
For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.

Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:05 am
Just Joined

12 to 13 years, well thanks to all who took the trouble to reply.

Thats all I wanted to know, now I can make my plans based on that timescale, good job I'm not in any hurry huh.

Thanks Heather for the offer I may well do so but having looked at the paperwork involved I will probably just hire an immigration lawyer.

Now is this bil handsome? of good fortune )
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

12 to 13 years, well thanks to all who took the trouble to reply.

Thats all I wanted to know, now I can make my plans based on that timescale, good job I'm not in any hurry huh.

.... having looked at the paperwork involved I will probably just hire an immigration lawyer.

It's not too difficult. Just have your sister fill this out. That's all for "a while".
Good luck!

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old Sep 10th 2007, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no source anywhere that will tell you how long, 12 years would not be unreasonable.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Heather142 will become famous soon enoughHeather142 will become famous soon enough

We did not need an immigration lawyer, it was all easy enough for us to do. IMO you will not need professional assistance unless you run into problems during the final processing period. Your sibling will start the ball rolling. My advice is as always, use this period to start saving.

Heather