Sibling application from UK

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

webster2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sibling application from UK

I have been reading various threads re: siblings and have learnt that the timings for visa can be 12+ years.

Is this the same if I file for my sister in the UK? I know the timings are considerably shorter for my husband - just wondering if the same may apply for sister?

Cheers
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sibling application from UK

I don't know why you are asking? You told us the answer yourself on the first line.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

So I'm asking for confirmation - not cheek!!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I don't know why you are asking? You told us the answer yourself on the first line.
I was confused as well. Why would her/his sibling be different to other peoples?
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Maybe because she's not rude.

Up til this point this forum has been very helpful - shame some people have to spoil it.

And the point is that the threads I have read all came from people filing for their siblings in the USA not UK - so the difference is location not person.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

The location makes no difference, you don't jump the queue because you are filing in one place instead of the other.

And why would you file for a sibling anywhere other than the US? The sponsor has to either be in the US or move with the beneficiary to the US.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Aug 22nd 2008 at 7:11 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Huh? I don't get what your asking. You started off by saying that visa processing for siblings was 12+ years. You then ask if it will be the same if you file for a visa for your sister in the UK. Are you asking about a UK visa or a US visa? The timeline is because of the number of visas available. Immigration via marriage is very different.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webster2007
I have been reading various threads re: siblings and have learnt that the timings for visa can be 12+ years.

Is this the same if I file for my sister in the UK? I know the timings are considerably shorter for my husband - just wondering if the same may apply for sister?

Cheers
sigh, why do you all get so combative?!

There are different classes of relatives that US citizens may sponsor (and all of this information is available at uscis.gov under Green Card through a Family Member).
The 'top' priority class is known as Immediate Relatives; there is no wait for a visa number for this class.. an unlimited number of them may enter the US every year.
Immediate Relatives are Parents, Spouses and Children under 21.

Every other relative is on a quota system; there are a finite number of visas available for them every year. Since more people apply than there are visa numbers available, the line/queue gets longer every year.

webster, please refer to the Visa Bulletin on travel.state.gov for more details.

BritishGuy, consider that she meant 'my sister (who is) in the UK'.

There are longer waits for applicants from Mexico, mainland China, India and the Philippines.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

I was only asking for the information you just gave - that it doesn't make any difference where you file.

I am a dual citizen due to move back to the US to teach high school next year. I saw that the forum was saying that filing for my husband whilst still in the UK is a faster process that in the US, so only wondering if same applied for sibling.

Did not infer anything into this question...and don't appreciate somebody trying to do so.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webster2007
I was only asking for the information you just gave - that it doesn't make any difference where you file.

I am a dual citizen due to move back to the US to teach high school next year. I saw that the forum was saying that filing for my husband whilst still in the UK is a faster process that in the US, so only wondering if same applied for sibling.

Did not infer anything into this question...and don't appreciate somebody trying to do so.
If you review the instructions for filing I-130 in the UK, you'll see that it's only available for certain relatives--Immediate Relatives. So yes, you can file for your spouse overseas, but not your sibling. Those petitions go to a US Service Center.
It's not the petition processing time you need to be concerned with.. it wouldn't matter if your I-130 for her were approved today. There is no visa number available for her for whatever the wait is.. 12-15 years.

It *does* matter where you file, because if you file it in the UK, it will be denied or refused.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
a) sigh, why do you all get so combative?!

b) BritishGuy, consider that she meant 'my sister (who is) in the UK'.
a) Difficult to understand why a question is being asked when it's already been answered by the person asking?

b) Apparently not! The question appears to now be "can I file in the UK for my sister", not "can I file for my sister who is in the UK".
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

thanks meauxna - help without the cheek.

It's the teacher in me - I deal with lippy teenagers for a living and so the responses are now automatic!

cheers!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ahhh to be a teenager again.....
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

a) Difficult to understand why a question is being asked when it's already been answered by the person asking?

b) Apparently not! The question appears to now be "can I file in the UK for my sister", not "can I file for my sister who is in the UK".
I think the fact that 3 people who answered th original post thought 2 different things, neither of which was what the OP meant proves a! Still not sure where the hostility came from though. Bad day I guess.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:35 pm

And do you feel vindicated?

It's not a competition here; we are trying to help each other understand the lingo and the process better, not try to look clever.

When in doubt, ask questions nicely. Basically, your first post was correct, but everyone seems ready to be offended these days.

I miss my favorite coffee place (ultimately, Starbucks got them); their slogan was Good Coffee, No Backtalk.
Of course, you paid $4 a cup for the privledge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.