British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Should I give up? uk based adult nurse (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/should-i-give-up-uk-based-adult-nurse-920383/)

JD1990 Dec 22nd 2018 2:18 pm

Should I give up? uk based adult nurse

Hey all,

ive posted before on here and it’s been around a year on from that now.

Im an adult nurse (adult branch) with a 2:1 bsc degree. I’ve done a lot of research and I know that I can’t take the NCLEX without hours in paediatrics mental health and obs/gyne. That would mean 3 more degrees taking 9 years and a cost that I couldn’t afford.

So working as a nurse in the USA is pretty much ruled out. My question is are any us employers willing to sponsor a uk nurse to work as a healthcare assistant, nurses assistant or related job? I’d be willing to drop in salary just to be able to live there. Ideally I’d want San Francisco but beggars can’t be choosers!!

id honestly try anything to move over there by it just seems every avenue is closed to any foreigners which is weird as the USA and the uk have such a close relationship yet I could move to any EU country with no issue even though I don’t speak their languages!! i have no family or contacts in the USA

about me:

sex: male
relationship: single
degree: adult nurse BSc 2:1
years of experience: 6
current employer: NHS

Thanks

jd

tom169 Dec 22nd 2018 2:33 pm

Re: Should I give up? uk based adult nurse

Near certain no opportunity for a CNA type job.

Have you reached out to O'Grady Peyton?

JD1990 Dec 22nd 2018 2:36 pm

Yes I have but they won’t consider me until I take the NCLEX but I can’t take that without experience in paed mental health and obs and gyne :(

wombats Dec 22nd 2018 3:00 pm

I'm not a nurse and I have no experience with this, but CNA wages are quite low, and I doubt they'd offer a visa for such a job. Does the experience you need in the other categories have to be through education? I struggle to believe you'd need three whole extra degrees for it when a RN in the USA only has to do one degree. Could you get that experience through volunteering in those areas?

Noorah101 Dec 22nd 2018 3:02 pm

The UK and USA don't have a close relationship when it comes to immigration (except the VWP for visitors). USA years all foreigners the same.

Rene

spouse of scouse Dec 22nd 2018 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by JD1990 (Post 12611974)

yet I could move to any EU country with no issue even though I don’t speak their languages!!

That'd be because of freedom of movement under the EU - and in any event is unlikely to remain the case after the UK withdraws.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 22nd 2018 3:59 pm

I have come across people moving to the US as Nurses, I find the need for 3 more degrees somewhat unlikely, would it not have been mentioned at some point.

If you are looking at CNA etc not sure anybody would bother and how would they get past Labour Certification?

Silverdragon102 Dec 22nd 2018 7:36 pm

There is apparently Kings college offering top up courses in the areas missing however California is one of the hardest states for International Educated Nurses to register in and they may not accept the courses

PootleK Dec 29th 2018 5:15 pm

Haha I just looked up the KCL course details before reading through the thread. Silverdragon had long ago beat me to it. https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/subject-...h-america.aspx

christine801 Dec 29th 2018 7:27 pm

Hi All, I am new to this forum and I am in exactly in the same situation in terms of wanting to emigrate to the States as a Registered Adult Nurse. I have checked the Kings College option and it is very expensive-£5k +.

I would really ally like to know if there are alternative options.

Thanks
christine

Silverdragon102 Dec 29th 2018 10:03 pm

In the UK there are no alternative routes, not since demand dropped for nurses and universities decided it wasn’t worth the cost

christine801 Dec 30th 2018 4:53 am

Many Thanks Silverdragon102.

christine801 Dec 30th 2018 5:56 am

Sorry to be a pain- I have just completed the GGFNS application and made payment for my transcripts to be evaluated. As part of my training we had to complete mental Health placement and theory, I also did some placement with the Health Visitors, though I am not sure if this will count.

My my question is, should I suspend the CGFNS process and go ahead with the Kings College top up .

Any my suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Christine801

ICUnursey Dec 30th 2018 6:55 am

It is really hard to tell someone to give up on their dream,all we can do is tell you what is needed and you see if you fulfil or can fulfil the criteria with a bit of work. The Kings College course is an option,an expensive option ....but it might make it possible to fulfil your dream. Christine if you did enough clinical and theoretical hours in obstetrics,mental health and paediatrics then you should wait and see what CGFNS has to say before spending a lot of cash. Happy New Year and good luck everyone!!

Silverdragon102 Dec 30th 2018 9:29 am

I agree with ICUnursey and wait and see what CGFNS report back