This should be fantastic news...

Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:59 pm
fat
Forum Regular

fat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This should be fantastic news...

Firstly I'd like to say that I feel guilty moaning about my good fortune when there are some great people here who have waited months and years for this news, but I have a dilemma.

I'm traveling to the UK over the weekend to see my family for my annual visit, I was going to travel with my expired conditional green card and my one year extension letter with permission to travel.

This afternoon I received my approval for removal of conditions from the VSC service centre, I only filed this May so I was not expecting this anytime soon.

The letter states I cannot travel now until I have shown up at the the Newark office to process my new I 551 and have my passport stramped to say that my new card is being processed.

Not sure if I can make it to the office before I'm due to fly out, any advice?.

should I be able to get to the office the letter states that I should bring the same photos as on my current green card, I have read here recently that the new standard is passport type photos.

Finally for those of you familiar with Newark, as I have a letter should I queue from 5am with the mob or try and get in the side entrance.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:05 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This should be fantastic news...

Originally Posted by fat
The letter states I cannot travel now until I have shown up at the the Newark office to process my new I 551 and have my passport stramped to say that my new card is being processed.

Thanks for any advice.
Call the Newark office and ask them what to do about traveling. Also, yes, you do need the passport style pic now.

Marnee
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:22 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
Call the Newark office and ask them what to do about traveling. Also, yes, you do need the passport style pic now.

Marnee
If the letter from USCIS stated not to travel, would you not be risking denial to return to the US at POE?
No experience with this but that would be how I would read it!
Patrick
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
If the letter from USCIS stated not to travel, would you not be risking denial to return to the US at POE?
No experience with this but that would be how I would read it!
Patrick
I'm thinking they must make some exceptions...what if he had taken off for vacation this morning, and the letter came in the afternoon mail? He would not have known not to travel. Probably if you can prove you traveled before you received the letter you might be OK. But this way, he's obviously traveling after receiving the letter.

I agree with other posters...ask first for clarification on travel.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fat
Firstly I'd like to say that I feel guilty moaning about my good fortune when there are some great people here who have waited months and years for this news, but I have a dilemma.

I'm traveling to the UK over the weekend to see my family for my annual visit, I was going to travel with my expired conditional green card and my one year extension letter with permission to travel.

This afternoon I received my approval for removal of conditions from the VSC service centre, I only filed this May so I was not expecting this anytime soon.

should I be able to get to the office the letter states that I should bring the same photos as on my current green card, I have read here recently that the new standard is passport type photos.

Finally for those of you familiar with Newark, as I have a letter should I queue from 5am with the mob or try and get in the side entrance.

Thanks for any advice.
As far as I am aware, you don't queue anymore. You make an infopass appointment.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 2:26 am
fat
Forum Regular

So I cannot schedule an infopass appointment before I'm due to fly out,( no appointments available) any more suggestions?
Old Nov 11th 2004, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fat
So I cannot schedule an infopass appointment before I'm due to fly out,( no appointments available) any more suggestions?
I question I would have is how fast are the computers at the POE updated? If they are not updated that quickly, then how would they even know his I-751 is approved?? But of course, assuming they do know, it sounds like you may have 2 options:

1) Lie and say you did not receive any letter before you left for your trip, or
2) Try to find a way to get in to get your passport stamped.

Personally, the latter sounds more feasible to me. Make a few phone calls, and try to speak to an actual IO, not those monkeys on the helpline, and see what they say about you traveling.

Maybe take the approval letter with you on your trip and explain to the officers that you could not get an appt before you flew out?? I don't know if that would help at all.

Good luck, and congrats on your approval!

Cheers!
Jamie
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:19 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fat
I told u already... call the office and ask them. Why waste any more time?

Marnee
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:59 am
Banned

Johndoe is an unknown quantity at this point

oh, they now have monkeys working the helplines? Last time I called the
1-800 number I talked to a very sweet lady who sounded human. It was over the phone though, you can never tell.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

What about trying another office or suboffice? I know that you are supposed to have just one to use, but it couldn't hurt to see if another office has an appointment open before you fly. Just a thought.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

AGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the roughAGUILA is a jewel in the rough
Arrow Re: This should be fantastic news...

fat:

CONGRATULATIONS! Can you share which one was the exact receipt date on your NOA you got after filing the form I-751?

I think that there should not be a problem for you to travel with your passport and the letter of approval, but in any event check in the USCIS website to see which day does Newark allows you to go there without an infopass appointment.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
I told u already... call the office and ask them. Why waste any more time?

Marnee
Hi Marnee,

Newark might not have a direct phone number to call them. I know here in Phoenix, there is NO phone number to make a call there to ask a question. You have only 2 choices....either call the 800 mis-information line, or make an InfoPass appointment to ask your question in person.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2004, 9:15 pm
fat
Forum Regular

Just an update of those of you who kindly have offered me advice.

I tried to find a number for the Newark office but all my searches turned up nothing.

I called the national helpline who suggested I make an infopass appointment, when I told them that there were none available till after my flight they told me they could not help me.

I went down to Newark later this morning to try and get in the building as an emergency, however they would not let me in as I had no infopass appointment.

So it looks like I'm not flying out next week, and the airline will neither change or refund my ticket.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by fat
Just an update of those of you who kindly have offered me advice.

I tried to find a number for the Newark office but all my searches turned up nothing.

I called the national helpline who suggested I make an infopass appointment, when I told them that there were none available till after my flight they told me they could not help me.

I went down to Newark later this morning to try and get in the building as an emergency, however they would not let me in as I had no infopass appointment.

So it looks like I'm not flying out next week, and the airline will neither change or refund my ticket.
I'm sorry to hear you were unsuccessful But, I think you're doing the right thing by staying rather than risking problems at the POE upon return.

The airline won't even change the ticket? I've never heard of an airline not changing a ticket, for a fee!

Best Wishes!
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 12th 2004 at 10:28 pm. Reason: typo & add paragraph