Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Short term remote working for a corporate company

Short term remote working for a corporate company

Old May 13th 2018, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

nayan166 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Short term remote working for a corporate company

Hi guys,

I am brand new to the forum! I joined because I need some advice on short term work permits in different countries in the US.

I am a Management Consultant and work in a global company with offices around the world. I have been really keen on spending some time abroad (6 months to 1 year) and experiencing different cultures, and so I spoke to my manager to see what options I had within the company. One option was a sabbatical which I'm exploring but the more attractive option for me is the offer of continuing to work for my UK team but no longer on client facing work, and working remotely from another office.

This is a great option for me because in theory, it gives me the option to work in any city I want where we have an office, in theory. If I was going for a year, I would love to split the time between Singapore, Sydney and San Diego.

My manager is open to this but doesn't know how it would work in terms of work permits. In theory I thought it shouldn't be a problem as I'm still working for the UK business and being paid in my UK bank account. All I'm doing is taking my laptop and getting on a flight and logging on from another country for a few months. She has spoken to HR who have taken it up with the global mobility team, but seems like there may be some visa/work permit implications. Even though they should be sorting out, I want to make sure I have as much information as possible from my side.

Has anyone done something similar to this/know of the rules and regulations relating to visas for this situations for the US?

Many thanks
Old May 13th 2018, 9:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short term remote working for a corporate company

Originally Posted by nayan166

My manager is open to this but doesn't know how it would work in terms of work permits. In theory I thought it shouldn't be a problem as I'm still working for the UK business and being paid in my UK bank account. All I'm doing is taking my laptop and getting on a flight and logging on from another country for a few months. She has spoken to HR who have taken it up with the global mobility team, but seems like there may be some visa/work permit implications. Even though they should be sorting out, I want to make sure I have as much information as possible from my side.

Many thanks
If you are physically in the US, you need a visa in order to work, even if you are just sending the work back to your UK office or even doing it for yourself. The L visa is probably your best bet, but that would involve the US office of your company taking you on the payroll as a transferred employee. Otherwise, you can enjoy the US for 90 days on holiday on the VWP.
(reposted because I messed up the quote)
Old May 13th 2018, 10:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The intercompany work visa is an L visa for the USA.

I don't know what the visa requirements would be for other countries.

Rene
Old May 14th 2018, 1:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree we can only comment on the US side, no idea if it would be possible elsewhere. Perhaps have a word with the Company lawyers.
Old May 14th 2018, 4:07 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The definition of "doing business" for the purposes of a B-1 business visa can be a tad fuzzy. A legal consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer might be in order. I sense possibilities in the limited iformation provided.
Old May 14th 2018, 8:49 am
Just Joined

thanks guys that's really helpful. seems like the L visa may be the best bet for me i guess, but i can imagine it'll be a hassle for them to take me on the payroll for just 3 months
Old May 14th 2018, 9:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys that's really helpful. seems like the L visa may be the best bet for me i guess, but i can imagine it'll be a hassle for them to take me on the payroll for just 3 months
It's a lot of hassle, and will cost thousands in fees etc for them. Tbh, I can't see them going for it!

I'd concentrate on Sydney/Singapore if they are easier (no idea if they are or if you'd still need a work permit for those locations too). Any other offices you could consider? Canada would let you work remotely without needing a work permit usually, and of course the EU is open to you at the moment, no visa hassles there.
Old May 14th 2018, 9:08 am
Just Joined

that's true, may look at Vancouver if we have an office there. i was hoping for San Diego as I love California and I am beach person. Worst comes to worst I can just take some time off and spend it there
Old May 14th 2018, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Silvergirl is an unknown quantity at this point

For Singapore you will need an employment pass which also needs to be sponsored by the company and has very strict requirements in terms of minimum salary in local currency. Furthermore, most global companies have a limited number of employment passes they can request and most large global management consultancies (I worked at one of them in Singapore as a transferee from the UK for 5 years until last year) are very actively trying to reduce the number of people on employment passes.
Also think about where you will live. Singapore doesn’t allow short term rentals (in theory Airbnb is illegal) under 12 months, and you need to show your employment pass to get a lease. The only legal exceptions are serviced apartments, which are pricey.

I have just moved to the US now (having gone through the full visa process) and I honestly think Singapore in the current climate for foreign talent is even more difficult in many ways.

I am sorry as I know it sucks, I have relocated myself from Europe to Singapore and from Europe to US and the amount of barriers and paperwork have been incredible. And that is before you even start thinking about taxes etc. I have also been in a position at a global management consultancy where I wanted to bring and sponsor certain talent to another country (Singapore and other) and have also many times struggled and not been able to do so despite business need and sponsorship etc.
Old May 14th 2018, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You won't get an L1 visa for a short term stay. L1's are provided for folks with lots of experience in their current company and who are being moved to take on high level. long term management/executive positions.
Old May 14th 2018, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

that's true, may look at Vancouver if we have an office there. i was hoping for San Diego as I love California and I am beach person. Worst comes to worst I can just take some time off and spend it there
Try Tijuana... turns out there are a few Americans (etc) who choose to live south of the border and just* cross over when necessary. Some even daily. TJ is often expensive by Mexican standards, but cheap by American standards. No idea on visas / work permits for Mexico.

* - might take 30 minutes, or might take 4 hours depending on border traffic.
Old May 14th 2018, 10:27 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

seems like the L visa may be the best bet for me
This retired immigration lawyer is curious as to why you say that.