Wikiposts

Shoplifting Conviction

Old Jan 30th 2002, 1:47 pm
Apala Tirak

I was convicted of shoplifting a $20 item, 4 years ago, i was an adult then. I have
since then married and applied for change of status, i went for finger-printing,
interview etc

I got a mail from the INS today asking me about the incident and they want some
documents like original final courts dispositions and copy of the statute regarding
the possible maximum penalty of every charge from every jurisdication.

At the Interview, the interviewer asked if i had ever been arrested and i said yes
and gave him all the documents i had. He said my form did not say that and i said i
must have not seen that since they were computerized forms from the lawyer.

I was stamped with pending stamp and i did not hear anything till this new letter.

Can my immigration case be denied because of a shoplifting misdemenour ($20
musical CD)?

I have never been in any criminial situation since then.

Can i be deported? Can my case ever be approved this year? Will this be a problem
when i am applying for citizenship?

Apala tira

Old Jan 30th 2002, 2:54 pm
Andrew Defaria

Apala Tirak wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

It depends on, for example, what state you were in (assuming you were in the US). I
have read a BIA appeal where a person successfully argued and won the case that
shoplifing in Arizona is not a crime of moral turptitude.

<html> <head> </head> <body> Apala Tirak wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email protected] .net"> I was convicted of
shoplifting a $20 item, 4 years ago, i was an adult then. I have since then married
and applied for change of status, i went for finger-printing, interview etc<br> <br>
I got a mail from the INS today asking me about the incident and they want some
documents like original final courts dispositions and copy of the statute regarding
the possible maximum penalty of every charge from every jurisdication.<br> <br> At
the Interview, the interviewer asked if i had ever been arrested and i said yes and
gave him all the documents i had. He said my form did not say that and i said i must
have not seen that since they were computerized forms from the lawyer.<br> <br> I was
stamped with pending stamp and i did not hear anything till this new letter.<br> <br>
Can my immigration case be denied because of a shoplifting misdemenour ($20 musical
CD)?<br> <br> I have never been in any criminial situation since then.<br> <br> Can i
be deported? Can my case ever be approved this year? Will this be a problem when i am
applying for citizenship?<br> </blockquote> It depends on, for example, what state
you were in (assuming you were in the US). I have read a BIA appeal where a person
successfully argued and won the case that shoplifing in Arizona is <b>not</b> a crime
of moral turptitude.<br> </body> </html>

--------------040404050700000006050806--