Wikiposts

Semi OT: Marriage Certificates

Old May 5th 2001, 1:30 am
Betastar

I keep thinking about this, sometimes with amusement and sometimes with fear

Reinhard and I have never actually gotten our certified marriage certificate from the
State of NY. It's been a little over 5 months since we got married, now.

So how did we file for AOS?

In my church (meaning the church I went to as a child) when you get married you get a
booklet with a copy of the ceremony in it (with things like the readings and your
names written in) and in the very back is a page that the bride, groom, witnesses and
priest sign. The priest is also a notary public, and he notarizes the certificate in
this booklet.

We just photocopied that with the seal showing and put it in our AOS application

Now, we walked that into Charlotte, and the woman at the window went through our
papers and told us all was in order, so I'm assuming at this point we don't have to
worry about it.

We WILL have the official NY State one for the interview (if we ever get to an
interview....)

So I've been wondering if they'll fail us off-hand for this marriage certificate
that's not state-issued or if they'll let us get to the interview and hand in the
official one.

I've thought, in passing, of getting the official one and mailing it to them, but I
also know that would be a waste of time and money since I highly doubt it'll ever
actually REACH our file

Just some musings on this Saturday morning...

Betastar

Old May 5th 2001, 4:23 am
lazysusan

Betastar,

It seems that you do the same thing I do on a calm Saturday morning which is to comb
the newsgroup, obsess over your application and worry about things that might
possibly go wrong. (Did you see the 10 ten list posted here awhile ago, for things to
occupy your time while you wait? It was pretty funny.)

It seems to me that if it would give you any peace of mind, mailing the certificate
in once you receive it is pretty low risk, even if it never reaches your file.

Try to think of the things you CAN control, and forget about the rest. Easier said
than done, huh?

Susan

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 5th 2001, 1:00 pm
Betastar

Oh, I'm not really worried about it at all. We figure that at the rate things are
going with Charlotte, we'll move before we get to Reinhard's interview.

Then there's the whole transfer-the-file thing which isn't likely to happen, and by
the time another 3 years has passed we'll be moving to Austria to take care of his
"elderly" mother for a little while.

I honestly would be surprised if he ever gets his green-card during this stint of
living in the US.

I was just musing on the whole marriage-certificate thing 'cause I was finally
getting around to applying for a few copies. (NY *should* have them on file for us
around now)

Betastar

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
[usenetquote2]>>I keep thinking about this, sometimes with amusement and sometimes with fear [/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>Reinhard and I have never actually gotten our certified marriage certificate from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>the State of NY. It's been a little over 5 months since we got married, now.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>So how did we file for AOS? [/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>In my church (meaning the church I went to as a child) when you get married you get[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>a booklet with a copy of the ceremony in it (with things like the readings and your[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>names written in) and in the very back is a page that the bride, groom, witnesses[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>and priest sign. The priest is also a notary public, and he notarizes the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>certificate in this booklet.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>We just photocopied that with the seal showing and put it in our AOS application [/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>Now, we walked that into Charlotte, and the woman at the window went through our[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>papers and told us all was in order, so I'm assuming at this point we don't have to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>worry about it.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>We WILL have the official NY State one for the interview (if we ever get to an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>interview....)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>So I've been wondering if they'll fail us off-hand for this marriage certificate[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>that's not state-issued or if they'll let us get to the interview and hand in the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>official one.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>I've thought, in passing, of getting the official one and mailing it to them, but I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>also know that would be a waste of time and money since I highly doubt it'll ever[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>actually REACH our file [/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>Just some musings on this Saturday morning...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>Betastar[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old May 8th 2001, 8:59 am
exyz

>
    >
    >
    >
to
    >
to
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
was
    >
    >
    >
    >

Just FYI Judging from when you filed, it may be around 18months to the interview,
maybe less - ours was right at 17. Also, when you go for the interview, if they
haven't included a request for it in a request for more info, just take the originial
certificate (and of course a copy) and give the copy to the examiner. THe examiner we
had didn't even look at the originals. I had them all in folders and waved them in
his general direction.

It's not like I had a lot of stuff, but I had everything categorized and labeled and
the examiner's eyes just sort of glazed over. Perhaps he was bored. Whatever.

But it's easy to be obsessive. I am obsessing right now about fingerprints, and why
the FBI is taking so long with them. So ok, it's only about 6 weeks...still, gotta
have something to stress over.

Has Reinhard gotten anything from Charlotte, like AP or EAD yet?

Elaine

Old May 8th 2001, 2:41 pm
Betastar

>
    >

I'm hoping to be graduated by then =)

>
    >
    >

That's what I figured we'd do. =)

>

He got both, and fairly quickly. We were impressed with how fast they came, actually.

Betastar