Wikiposts

selective service

Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

ramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant future
Default selective service

I came to US when I was younger than 26 in student visa but I became a US citizen when I am 29 years old . Do I need to register with selective service ?

Thanks
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:21 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: selective service

Originally Posted by ramNagab
I came to US when I was younger than 26 in student visa but I became a US citizen when I am 29 years old . Do I need to register with selective service ?

Thanks
Hi:

You are over 25 years of age and can't register anymore.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
What was your answer to the selective service question on N400? Did the interviewer, asked you about SS?
Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:50 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

What age were you when you became a LPR? Was it before you were 26? You needed to register with SS when you were under 26 and a pending resident of the US in order to qualify for Naturalization.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

ramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant future

I am sorry , I meant US resident when I am 29 . i am not a citizen . sorry for this mistake
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:10 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry , I meant US resident when I am 29 . i am not a citizen . sorry for this mistake

Just wanted to remind you that it is EXTREMELY important that you NEVER, EVER claim to be a US citizen until you really are one!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

unintentional mistake
Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:14 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You are over 25 years of age and can't register anymore.
Let's say that a male becomes an LPR at 16 doesn't register for the selective service and then turns 26. Is there a waiver that will allow them naturalize if they were a non-willful violator, and they didn't get convicted for violating the selective service law?
Old Feb 12th 2006, 5:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
Let's say that a male becomes an LPR at 16 doesn't register for the selective service and then turns 26. Is there a waiver that will allow them naturalize if they were a non-willful violator, and they didn't get convicted for violating the selective service law?
Wouldn't three/five years moral character do the trick, so not apply till they are 29 etc?
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:46 am
britg

I was in the same situation--here on an F-1 student visa through my
26th birthday. And, yes, I think that you need to get a waiver letter
from the Selective Service people. You can download the form from
their website, and send it in with a copy of your I-20. They then send
a letter back saying that it was not necessary for you to have
registered.

You might not need it, but not a bad idea to have in your bag of
documentation.

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 00:50:28 +0000, Rete <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> I came to US when I was younger than 26 in student visa but I became a
    >> US citizen when I am 29 years old . Do I need to register with
    >> selective service ?
    >> Thanks
    >What age were you when you became a LPR? Was it before you were 26?
    >You needed to register with SS when you were under 26 and a pending
    >resident of the US in order to qualify for Naturalization.

Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:23 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

F-1 nonimmigrants are exempt registration. Permanent residents are not.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think a waiver is necessary because as Ian stated when you are aged 26 then you wait until either 5 yrs or 3 yrs (different times due to how PR was obtained have passed and then apply. Your good moral character is then intact again and you would not have to worry about not having registered.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:44 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't think a waiver is necessary because as Ian stated when you are aged 26 then you wait until either 5 yrs or 3 yrs (different times due to how PR was obtained have passed and then apply. Your good moral character is then intact again and you would not have to worry about not having registered.
The wierd thing is that if someone is convicted of violating selective service then they are permanently inelgible to become a citizen and could have their green card taken away.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:02 pm
Concierge

The wierd thing is that if someone is convicted of violating selective service then they are permanently inelgible to become a citizen and could have their green card taken away.

What would be considered violating selective service? Deliberating lying about religious affiliation, medical condition, mental health, age? Who would be the prosecutor? The federal government, I'm assuming?

Do you have any more information to add to this. Find it interesting and not something I've heard or read about before.

Thanks.
Rete
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I agree, once the 3 or 5 years has passed, then yippee back to Good Moral turpitude.
Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.