Seeing if We have a chance

Old Feb 22nd 2020, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Alanbmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seeing if We have a chance

Originally Posted by tom169
I dare say the majority of us came to be in the USA via a family connection to a US citizen.
anyone want to adopt a family member ? 😂
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 1:46 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I would guess about 50:50 work v family visas. And of the work visas I would guess about 70% on L1, about 10% on H-1B, about 10% on uncapped H-1B for research/ education, and the rest on something else EB-2/EB-3, O-1, J-1, etc.
I was wondering about this on a national scale ( not just BE )
2019 figures:
Total visas issued 462,422
Family based 377,522
Employment based 28,528
Diversity lottery 44,882
Certain Iraqis or Afghans employed by or on behalf of the U.S. 10,035
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...rt-TableII.pdf

Old Feb 22nd 2020, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I was wondering about this on a national scale ( not just BE )
2019 figures:
Total visas issued 462,422
Family based 377,522
Employment based 28,528
Diversity lottery 44,882
Certain Iraqis or Afghans employed by or on behalf of the U.S. 10,035
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...rt-TableII.pdf
Woah. Fewer employment based than even the diversity lottery?? I had no idea the big picture was so unevenly split.

I guess I never really thought that BE would be a representative sample, but I didn't realise it was that far off.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 2:47 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the UK doesn't qualify for diversity lottery in case so that would explain why there isn't much of that going on here...
The figures about where everyone comes from is here
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...t-TableIII.pdf
~185k from Asia region - Vietnam had the most visas issued, then China and Phillipines almost the same (that surprised me) then India in 4th place. All mostly family based.
~41k from Europe region
Great Britain and Northern Ireland family~2k employment ~464, "special immigrants" (Nick Clegg!!) =15 total = 2,468
~147K from North America region ( 54.5K from Mexico)
~1600 from Oceania - sorry Retzie only 700 from Aus
~27k from South America
~60k Africa

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Feb 22nd 2020 at 3:07 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh, these are the numbers for immigrant visas only! The non-immigrant visas that turn into AOS seem to be somewhere else (and I am too lazy to look). I'm guessing the vast majority of those are employment-based.

This graphic shows how the different NIV categories break down (there is no graph for 2019 yet): https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...sification.pdf. So, the vast majority are for basic tourism/business.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 5:22 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by retzie
Ohhh, these are the numbers for immigrant visas only! The non-immigrant visas that turn into AOS seem to be somewhere else (and I am too lazy to look). I'm guessing the vast majority of those are employment-based.

This graphic shows how the different NIV categories break down (there is no graph for 2019 yet): https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...sification.pdf. So, the vast majority are for basic tourism/business.
The first table was for all immigrants.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 6:33 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie

And that chart is somewhat misleading because so many people travel visa free in the ESTA / VW, so if you added that it wound skew even more towards basic tourist/business trips.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Alanbmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Digital dental labs is an interesting idea. I retired from dentistry in 2004 before they became common. How do they work in the U.K.? Are your dentists clients mainly NHS or private practice? Is the trend for dentists to have their own milling machines and do most C&B in house? Are conventional dental labs still a big part of the profession? I would hate to be faced with the expenses of digital lab and digital X-ray equipment? The type of dental practice I did would not be viable with today’s need for huge investments in technology. I laugh at those who think dentists simply use a wheel barrel to take their daily deposit to the bank. It’s not the license to steal like many patients want to believe.
I work in an independent dental lab with NHS and private dentist sending us work , a lot done nowadays via inta oral scanners milking machines and printers , all of which I am familiar with , equipment isn’t cheap but not much in dentistry is , Thanks alan
Old Feb 26th 2020, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Jasskatten is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
The first table was for all immigrants.
I think retzie is correct though, the table is for immigrant visas, you don't get a new visa if you do adjustment of status, do you? I tried to Google a bit to find those numbers, but figured I should spend some time at work actually working too 😬

Old Feb 26th 2020, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A visa is used to enter a country.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Jasskatten is an unknown quantity at this point

I looked around and realised that the Department of Homeland Security compiles the statistics for all immigration. The data for 2019 is only done up to quarter three so far, but you can find all kind of stuff about 2018. Although the adjustment of status is a bit more skewed towards employment vs family, family is by far the most common reason to do adjustment of status too, so the figures doesn't change much.

695614 family based
138171 employment based
45350 lottery
185909 refugees and asylees
31567 various other categories

https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/yearbook