Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Seconds jobs while in the US on an L1B visa

Seconds jobs while in the US on an L1B visa

Old Jun 25th 2018, 11:40 am
Just Joined

JonAslen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seconds jobs while in the US on an L1B visa

Hi,
Does anyone know if it is legally possible to have a part time job while working in the US on an L1B visa?

i currently work full time for the company associated with my petition/visa but am looking to try and do a bit of Uber driving on the side to help make ends meet for my family and want to know if I would legally be able to do this.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 11:47 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seconds jobs while in the US on an L1B visa

Your visa limits you to employment with the company that sponsors your visa. Even though you would be working on your own, it is not allowed. The US is not an inexpensive place to live for a family, certainly in many cities of the country. Can your wife not work to help increase the family income? Or perhaps it is time to call it quits and return home.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 11:51 am
Just Joined

JonAslen is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife had a work permit but it is currently being renewed, however I’m trying to see if I can find a temporary fix while she awaits it’s renewal. The process was extended because we also had to renew our visas which means the credit cards have taken a battering
Old Jun 25th 2018, 12:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately you are stuck with regards to any other work - you simply can't legally.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Jon,

Why are you paying to renew your visa? Isn't that legally the responsibility of the employer?
Old Jun 25th 2018, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
Jon,

Why are you paying to renew your visa? Isn't that legally the responsibility of the employer?
I don’t think he meant that. The CCs took a battering because his wife cannot work due to her work permit expiring...is how I read it.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 5:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don’t think he meant that. The CCs took a battering because his wife cannot work due to her work permit expiring...is how I read it.
That was my read also. Just a shame that you take an overseas transfer and it is not financially advantageous for you.

When did she apply for the EAD? Hopefully well before it was due to expire, i.e. 90 days ahead of time, perhaps?