Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Secondary query re my dad... Accused of overstay

Secondary query re my dad... Accused of overstay

Old Dec 16th 2014, 7:56 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secondary query re my dad... Accused of overstay

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532
Why do you call them "the minions of the Dark Forces"? I notice you use that phrase quite a lot. Are you like an anti government guy or something?
Its a joke to be read with a smile. When in court I will sometimes greet my learned opposition with "so, how are things with the Dark Forces today?" and smile, and they smile also. There is such a thing as a friendly insult.

Now, I will agree that I don't like it when I hear colleagues refer to "la puta migra."
Old Dec 16th 2014, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Its a joke to be read with a smile. When in court I will sometimes greet my learned opposition with "so, how are things with the Dark Forces today?" and smile, and they smile also. There is such a thing as a friendly insult.

Now, I will agree that I don't like it when I hear colleagues refer to "la puta migra."
I smile when i read it.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 5:15 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

Sorry for not coming back to this! He can't remember if he had a visa or if there was some kind of visa waiver program that he applied for when he came and I have no idea what the process was 22 years ago. All he knows is that he did whatever was necessary at the time (he's a stickler for that kind of thing) and was only here 2 weeks so no overstay. I can attest to it only being 2 weeks as I remember it! I figured it would be something like not having been marked as left. May try asking at the redress thing as he'd like to know. Thank you all
Old Dec 19th 2014, 5:44 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
Sorry for not coming back to this! He can't remember if he had a visa or if there was some kind of visa waiver program that he applied for when he came and I have no idea what the process was 22 years ago. All he knows is that he did whatever was necessary at the time (he's a stickler for that kind of thing) and was only here 2 weeks so no overstay. I can attest to it only being 2 weeks as I remember it! I figured it would be something like not having been marked as left. May try asking at the redress thing as he'd like to know. Thank you all
Except for the period of October 23, 1997 to November 26, 1997, the visa waiver program [or equivalent] has been continuously in existence since 1987. ESTA came to be required in 2010 if memory serves me correct.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:40 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Okay enquiring minds want to know what happened in October November 1997 ,
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that was the period between the end of the Visa Waiver Pilot Program and the start of the permanent Visa Waiver Program. I'm not sure whether they actually stopped admitting travelers without a visa in that interval.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 3:01 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Okay enquiring minds want to know what happened in October November 1997 ,
Some Congessional bickering caused a temporary "sunset" of the pilot program. It was assumed it would be reinstated, so former INS waived the visa requirements - it was actually a non VW admission. I was involved recently in a case where we flipped that one at ICE when they tried to do a summary VW removal.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

If my (hazy) memory serves me right, here was a period in the late 90s where all VWP travellers were "paroled" as opposed to admitted? I still have an old passport with such a paroled stamp.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 12:40 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Some Congessional bickering caused a temporary "sunset" of the pilot program. It was assumed it would be reinstated, so former INS waived the visa requirements - it was actually a non VW admission. I was involved recently in a case where we flipped that one at ICE when they tried to do a summary VW removal.
Interesting stuff. Thanks for indulging my curiosity
Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Interesting stuff. Thanks for indulging my curiosity
"Congressional bickering", imagine that. ..... and over a matter of immigration!
Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:19 am
Professional Cat herder

I know huh?
Whoda thunk it?/