Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Secondary inspection and wrong visa

Secondary inspection and wrong visa

Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

firehawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Secondary inspection and wrong visa

So I had my visa replaced as it got stolen due to my house being burgled.
my visa is a B1/B2.

I had to take a trip to the US for 7 days for business. For the first time ever, I got pulled for secondary inspection.

they took me to a room, the gentleman (CBP) was nice and asked questions like what am I doing in the US (to which I said I have business meetings with a client of mine and some training to give).

he then typed on the computer..whatever he did, and then approved it but entered me on a B2.

This is wrong. it should be a B1

question: why was I pulled into Secondary? What does it actually mean?
another question: They approved me on a B2, how can I change this to B1? I will only be in the US for 7 days.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secondary inspection and wrong visa

Originally Posted by firehawk
another question: .
Because you are at an immigration checkpoint at a port of entry and can be

They approved me on a B2, how can I change this to B1? I will only be in the US for 7 days.
With a felt tip pen and a very very steady hand but I do not recommend it
Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

firehawk is an unknown quantity at this point

serious answers please and provide details
Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It means that the border agent decided to pull you into secondary. It happens to hundreds of people every day. Maybe it means it was your lucky day. Or maybe he/she had another reason. Unless they told you then none of us knows.
another question: They approved me on a B2, how can I change this to B1? I will only be in the US for 7 days.
Contact USICS?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

serious answers please and provide details
It was entirely serious.

The guy allowed you to enter under a B2 status.

The place to query it was in secondary not on an internet forum after you left the airport. A visa gives you the right to knock on the door and ask for entry. The officer at the port of entry says yes or no and on what terms.

They have been known to be mistaken.

You could leave and attempt to re enter under a B1 which the officer at the port of entry may or may not allow

or you file I-539 which will take much longer than 7 days

Perhaps there is another way I am unaware of.

Last edited by Casual Observer; Jan 16th 2014 at 3:55 am.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 10:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Given that the CBP doesn't assign officers to follow B2 visitors around, and that the underlying visa you hold is a B1/B2, I wouldn't worry about it. It is clearly an error given that you (reportedly) told the officer that you are hear for business purposes.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

As Pulaski says, this type of visa isn't routinely monitored by CBP so you may just want to leave it for now and get it rectified after you return to the UK

Hoffage
Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:55 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about it, if you enter next time and say you were on a business trip, just explain the inspector put down B-2 and it should have been B-1. It is possible to go back to the office and get them to change it, deferred inspection is what it is called but it hardly seems worth it.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:57 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I must say that I am chuckling a little bit.

From what OP's posts, it appears that the Dark Forces are aware of the fact that his passport and visa had been stolen. Assuming this is true, OP's name has now been flagged in the database. I would not be surprised if OP was pulled into secondary from now on for a while [No, it is not fair].

As for the admission on a B-2 rather than a B-1 for seven days, I would want to know more facts if I was responsible for giving advice. My gut reaction [which is NOT legal advice] is thinking of the late Chick Hearn's characterization of "no harm, no foul."

BTW, it is possible to go into your local "Deferred Inspection" office to have the record corrected for no charge. [The office where I am "of counsel" recently had a VW admission corrected to entry with a B-1. It was important because a prospective E-2 is in the works.]