Sealed Documents ???

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

KLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sealed Documents ???

On the CBP website it mentions bringing the 'sealed' envelope included with passport which is returned by the consular officer.

I have received my passport and documents (DS-2019, 7002 etc) but they were just loose papers inside the delivery envelope which included my passport.

I assume me opening this was OK since I needed the passport to travel but I just wondered why they make a point of saying 'sealed' envelope ?

If anyone could explain, I'd be really grateful

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sealed Documents ???

I have no clue what visa you were applying for from the US Consulate. Ordinarily you would receive a sealed envelope with a paper on it that says not to open it and your passport. It would appear that you didn't receive this. What does the loose paperwork cover? This will help to ascertain exactly what you were sent.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KLondon
On the CBP website it mentions bringing the 'sealed' envelope included with passport which is returned by the consular officer.

I have received my passport and documents (DS-2019, 7002 etc) but they were just loose papers inside the delivery envelope which included my passport.

I assume me opening this was OK since I needed the passport to travel but I just wondered why they make a point of saying 'sealed' envelope ?

Thanks
Agree with Rete, too little information to offer a definitive answer, but if you have just attended an interview at the embassy and they have sent your docs back there are usually 2 envelopes, one is the main envelope everything is in inc passport and a sealed one which states you are not to open and if I remember correctly has a federal logo!

In my packet I recall a separate sheet which gave instructions on what to do and what not to do!

More information is required on your circumstances.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 1:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

I have moved your thread over to the US Immigration Forum.

Looking at past posts the OP has applied for a J1 visa.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Step 10. After the visa is processed, make sure you got what you requested!
Check your passport to be sure you obtained a J-1 visa, and that any dependents obtained a J-2 visa. Also, be certain that the DS-2019 was returned to you, as you must have the original with you when you arrive in the United States. Sometimes, the document is returned to you in a sealed envelope, which must be presented to the immigration inspector when you arrive.

http://www.scu.edu/studentlife/iss/j...ining-a-j1.cfm
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Can you please post a direct link so that we can see what it is you're looking at? Thanks!

Ian
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 1:46 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
A "J" visa is a "non-immigrant" visa, not an "immigrant visa." The sealed envelope applies to immigrant visas [and I think to the K-1/2, but those are "hybrid" visas]
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

KLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

oops sorry for not providing all the information required. I'd read 'instructions' from my sponsor over and over and there was no mention of this sealed envelope, it was only the morning of my flight when I opened the CBP website and it mentioned a sealed envelope on this page: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id...e_arrivals.xml

If you look at the "Advance Preparation Prior to Entry" section it mentions the unopened envelope.

To follow up this, I am now in the US and the envelope wasn't even mentioned
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
A "J" visa is a "non-immigrant" visa, not an "immigrant visa." The sealed envelope applies to immigrant visas [and I think to the K-1/2, but those are "hybrid" visas]
Yes, it applies to K-1/2 as well. (At least it used to) I did indeed get a sealed envelope when I was issued my K-1 visa at the Oslo consulate back in 84.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too, and the X rays which nobody wanted and I eventually binned.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

To follow up this, I am now in the US and the envelope wasn't even mentioned
Great stuff, I thought so!