Scottish Seafarer

Old Oct 4th 2020, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Kommandor15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scottish Seafarer

Hi all,

I'm a Scottish seafarer currently working Just off New York. I'm single with no Siblings and now looking to see if I can somehow move to the states.
I'm only on a B1 visa at the moment and spending approx.. 2-3 months here at any one time.
I have already have a look through the threads but cant seem to find any cases similar to mine.

Any help would be appreciated as i have no idea on where to go to start any kind of process...
Old Oct 4th 2020, 7:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Seafarer

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Have a read of the following article, which sets out all of the possible visa routes for the US. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA

I’ll move your thread to the US immigration forum for you, if you can give more info (any previous/other jobs, highest level of education, etc) then the good folks there will be able to tell you if you have a chance at a visa.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 4th 2020, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks,

well at 33 iv only had 1 other job since leaving University as I have served a long time with each company.
Previous job was in Scotland as an Electronics engineer.
My current job title is a Geo Physical Underwater Engineer. Basically i do site surveys for offshore oil gas and renewable energys.

Highest education is Masters degree in Electronics.

Not much more to tell to be honest. I don't have a criminal record of any kind well otherwise I wouldn't be here just now..

Unfortunately don't have any family here either, I think my only option is through work sponsorship.
Old Oct 4th 2020, 7:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, a work visa is an option, along with pursuing a degree with a student visa.

If you could find a job with an employer that has offices or branches in the USA, you may work up to an L visa (company transfer). That seems to be a more stable route than an H1B with a new employer.

Rene
Old Oct 4th 2020, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You've got a Masters in Electronics ? This should set you up nicely.

Try the oil and gas companies in Texas - your expertise should fit in with them. Alternatively academia ??

As said, if you found a job in UK with company who has offices in US, a transfer would be easiest way to to.
Old Oct 4th 2020, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I agree, a work visa is an option, along with pursuing a degree with a student visa.

If you could find a job with an employer that has offices or branches in the USA, you may work up to an L visa (company transfer). That seems to be a more stable route than an H1B with a new employer.

Rene
There seems to be several paths possible. I was thinking about applying for jobs in oil and gas in Texas or along similar jobs to mine. Previous attempts to get sponsorship were not successful however having the B1 Visa must show some degree of credibility.

Cant believe how quickly I'm getting replies I'm not usually one for joining threads so thank you all.
Old Oct 4th 2020, 8:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Having a B1 does nothing to help pursuing a work or student visa.

Rene
Old Oct 4th 2020, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
He's already got a Masters in Electronics .....

Old Oct 4th 2020, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

I'm currently in the hotel under quarantine just now before joining my ship later in the week. We have a few Americans here joining the same ship with different jobs.

One guy i spoke with is part of the international seafarers union and said if i join that then there's a route I can go down which entails studying in Florida for a marine qualification. This would grant me a student visa.

Ill need to look more into it though as there is much to go through with the paperwork he has given me.

The B1 visa doesn't do anything it just shows credibility as I have a higher security clearance than the average joe.

From what i have read and understand at the moment is that I can apply for a green card however i should wait until I have been in the country for more than 60 days.

This is going to be a long process but ill get there in the end
Old Oct 4th 2020, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
He's already got a Masters in Electronics .....

Yep. I was thinking either another Masters or a PhD.

Rene
Old Oct 4th 2020, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yep. I was thinking either another Masters or a PhD.

Rene
In his line of work and his experience, would have though a Masters would be quite sufficient. Can't see another degree making it easier for him to get job.
Old Oct 4th 2020, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kommandor15
The B1 visa doesn't do anything it just shows credibility as I have a higher security clearance than the average joe.
That doesn't matter when pursuing another visa. USCIS will not take into account that you've been granted a B1 visa. They will do another background check for the new visa. Basically, having the B1 is irrelevant.

From what i have read and understand at the moment is that I can apply for a green card however i should wait until I have been in the country for more than 60 days.
This makes no sense to me. On what basis could you apply for a green card? Where did you read that?

Rene
Old Oct 4th 2020, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
In his line of work and his experience, would have though a Masters would be quite sufficient. Can't see another degree making it easier for him to get job.
Perhaps not. I was just thinking of it as a visa option.

Rene
Old Oct 4th 2020, 9:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Previous attempts to get sponsorship were not successful however having the B1 Visa must show some degree of credibility.
Not really, it’s only a tourist visa so a heck of a lot of people have them! Are you sure that’s your visa? Are you sure it’s not a C1/D?

A student visa would be an option, but you can’t stay permanently on that so depends on your long term aim really. I’m not sure what you’re reading about an immigrant visa ‘(‘green card’) application after 60 days but don’t think it’s correct!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 4th 2020 at 9:27 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2020, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I

...... you can't apply for a green card just because you have been in the country for more than 60days on a B/1 visa (which is what you say you have)

If you are waiting to board a ship in order to undertake a site survey - which is working by the sounds of it, then are you sure you have a B/1?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.