Wikiposts

School trip to the states

Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School trip to the states

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Hi there: If you have not figured it out yet, no one here other than you has given any hint of knowledge of the regulations or procedures that have long been in place for groups of Canadian children. Although you have at least a hint, I don't think you have the terminology down.

A lot of attorneys on both sides of the border have a working knowledge of the US/Canada border procedures. You may want to consult with a knowledgeable attorney practicing near the border.
What makes you think the OP is from Canada? Her user name starts with "uk", thus I assumed she was in the UK.

Rene
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:37 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
What makes you think the OP is from Canada? Her user name starts with "uk", thus I assumed she was in the UK.

Rene
Well I'm glad it confused you, too! I don't see Canada anywhere in here.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Well I'm glad it confused you, too! I don't see Canada anywhere in here.

Me three... no mention of Canada, and "6th form" is not Canadian usage.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S

Me three... no mention of Canada, and "6th form" is not Canadian usage.
Is it some sort of cryptic puzzle about entering from Canada? But they have to go as a group
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 7:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
That's odd. So if they have a classmate with an Indian passport and a visa, he can't come? That's pretty silly considering it's easier for border guards to deny someone under the VWP than with a visa. (Of course it's only a tiny bit easier, but it is easier)
Can I go off topic a little and ask what to you guys in the US forums may seem a really silly question......if these kids are all going on the VWP, and one gets denied entry - what happens? I mean, from what I've read on here before, the subject would be returned to the point of origin after having entry refused, but if the person is a minor, and on a school trip - does that mean a teacher has to fly back with them? Possibly leaving the rest of the party without enough adults in charge?
Same if a family go over and a child/teenager is refused entry - do they allow an adult to fly back with the child, or would the adult have to pay for a ticket?
Old Sep 24th 2010, 1:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
... does that mean a teacher has to fly back with them?
No - at least, not from an immigration POV. But I'm pretty sure the child's parents would want one of the teachers to stay with the child.

Possibly leaving the rest of the party without enough adults in charge?
I suppose they could take an extra adult just in case!

... do they allow an adult to fly back with the child, or would the adult have to pay for a ticket?
Depending on the age of the child, s/he could fly back alone. I'm also pretty sure that if an adult had to accompany, the adult would use their already-purchased return ticket to fly back with the child.

Now, if it was me... I'd send the kid back home alone. No sense mucking up my plans just because some rug rat isn't allowed to enter the US.

Ian
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:28 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

There is a provision in the law that says the guardian would be inadmissible too if they are with a "helpless alien" who is inadmissible. So the answer is yes. They could force the guardian to go back with a child and order the airline who brought the child to remove the chaperon and child without a ticket. The airline would have to eat it if there wasn't already a return ticket.

212(a)(10)(B) of the INA: Guardian required to accompany helpless alien.-Any alien-
(i) who is accompanying another alien who is inadmissible and who is certified to be helpless from sickness, mental or physical disability, or infancy pursuant to section 232(c) , and
(ii) whose protection or guardianship is determined to be required by the alien described in clause (I), is inadmissible.

They take consideration regarding unaccompanied minors and the government has put additional polices in place due to a settlement of a case called Flores v. Reno. Since it's just a chaperon, and not family, the child would be considered unaccompanied. Even if inadmissible, they would likely find a way to let this child into the US on a parole if they turned out to be indeed inadmissible since the kid isn't Jack the Ripper or anything.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:51 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Mea Culpa. School trips on the northern border are common. Perhaps trans-oceanic trips as part of the school struck me as rare. Nonetheless, an assumption was made.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
There is a provision in the law that says the guardian would be inadmissible too if they are with a "helpless alien" who is inadmissible. So the answer is yes. They could force the guardian to go back with a child and order the airline who brought the child to remove the chaperon and child without a ticket. The airline would have to eat it if there wasn't already a return ticket.

212(a)(10)(B) of the INA: Guardian required to accompany helpless alien.-Any alien-
(i) who is accompanying another alien who is inadmissible and who is certified to be helpless from sickness, mental or physical disability, or infancy pursuant to section 232(c) , and
(ii) whose protection or guardianship is determined to be required by the alien described in clause (I), is inadmissible.

They take consideration regarding unaccompanied minors and the government has put additional polices in place due to a settlement of a case called Flores v. Reno. Since it's just a chaperon, and not family, the child would be considered unaccompanied. Even if inadmissible, they would likely find a way to let this child into the US on a parole if they turned out to be indeed inadmissible since the kid isn't Jack the Ripper or anything.
Interesting to note the wording seems to imply a singular guardian and singular helpless alien. How would that work in this group situation of several minors and a handful of guardians. Would POE agent treat them as one and say that if one guardian has to accompany an inadmissible helpless alien they all have to go?
Old Sep 24th 2010, 8:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Mea Culpa. School trips on the northern border are common. Perhaps trans-oceanic trips as part of the school struck me as rare. Nonetheless, an assumption was made.
I know kids that have come to the US on a school visit...usually New York or DC. Several times when I have flown across the pond there's been groups of school kids and teachers on the plane...seems quite common now.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It's an interesting point about what happens if there is a problem with one child's visa. When I was at school we went on a trip to the USSR. They weren't happy about one kid who had a South African passport. It turned out OK in that instance, but theoretically I suppose there could be cases where someone is refused.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Now, if it was me... I'd send the kid back home alone. No sense mucking up my plans just because some rug rat isn't allowed to enter the US.

Ian
Hey, a man who thinks like I do

Originally Posted by crg

Thanks guys, interesting to know what would happen - not that I'm ever likely to be in that position, just plain curious
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Depending on the age of the child, s/he could fly back alone. I'm also pretty sure that if an adult had to accompany, the adult would use their already-purchased return ticket to fly back with the child.
Unless the return ticket was fully flexible (unlikely) that would not work.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:22 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

They don't need a flexible ticket if they airline gets served with one of these.

"Form I-259, Notice to Deliver, Detain on Board, or Remove Alien"
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:51 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think the parent should use it as a teachable moment. Kid wants to go to US, won't be able to go on VWP, kid learns all stupid mistakes and dares can come back to haunt you in later life. Such is life, he gets to stay home and get over the disappointment, and learn a huge life lesson at the same time. You can't always get what you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.