SB-1 Visa - valid reasons?

Old Apr 2nd 2022, 11:56 am
Just Joined

ParisPigeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SB-1 Visa - valid reasons?

The SB-1 visa is granted to people who can prove they stayed out of the US for reasons beyond their control. Is there a list anywhere of valid reasons? Would be good to have a comprehensive list of previously accepted reasons to see if my personal situation would be accepted or not.
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SB-1 Visa - valid reasons?

There's no list of valid reasons that I'm aware of.

SB-1 visas are incredibly difficult to get and judging by your other thread I don't think you have much chance.
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

ParisPigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olly_
There's no list of valid reasons that I'm aware of.

SB-1 visas are incredibly difficult to get and judging by your other thread I don't think you have much chance.
Just a general query really, I saw a list of some reasons but it had little detail so was just wondering if the community had any other info.

Re my own situation, I don't think I'd said why I didn't return, just that I was young and made choices I now regret.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 1:16 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

In your situation, I would be consulting an immigration attorney. The costs of an SB1 are not insignificant on their own and just for doing this I would use a lawyer. It is however very important to you to be able to come back to the USA to be with your family and I would think it worthwhile the investment.

2 of my own kids were not 100% on getting their citizenship and thinking they might just stick with LPR. I persuaded them otherwise and my argument was that they might end up with regrets later if they lost their LPR status. Tempted to show them this posters situation.....
Old Apr 4th 2022, 3:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

My limited understanding of the SB-1 is that it's for people who were unable to travel because of war, being held hostage, a (political) prisoner (if you had been imprisoned for what is generally accepted to be a crime - assault, fraud, drug crimes, etc. then you would likely be ineligible anyway), being literally unable to travel for medical reasons (such as being in a coma), and similar, and not more general issues such as "my child was in school", my husband didn't want to", "my aunt had a terminal illness", etc.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 4th 2022 at 4:06 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 3:47 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As a retired immigration attorney, I would like to point out that cases such as OP’s touch on one of the more complicated areas of the law. The case law can be all over the place. For what it’s worth, the DHS summaries of the law are often not quite accurate in all particulars.

My learned friend, Susan Hill won a case at the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, Khodagholian v Ashcroft. I find this case to be well reasoned and well written. But that is from my experienced viewpoint. Otherwise, it might be clear as mud. The case has links to other cases.

So, consultation with an attorney with any experience in abandonment law appears to be in order.