Wikiposts

Savings

Old May 8th 2002, 8:20 am
Kara

Default Savings

I have recently married my husband and am residing in NYC. We are about to go through
the AOS process (I am a UK citizen) and I have a query about sponsorship. My husband
has been building up his own business for the past few years and as a result his tax
returns show well below the required level for sponsorship. However, I have about
£6500 (c$9000) in a UK savings account which I believe we can show as assests. Will
it be OK for my husband to sponsor me as our combined assets will take us over the
required level or should we look for somebody else. Also will affadavits saying that
he will be earning considerably more in this tax year help our case?

Thanks

Old May 8th 2002, 9:20 pm
Des

Default Re: Savings

Look for a co-sponsor. If you don't make the 125% poverty level (applicable to your
household size), your assets have to be a multiple of the difference between the 125%
poverty level and the actual income. Just do a search on this NG, it's been discussed
in depth recently, with all the relevant websites.

- Des

Old May 9th 2002, 5:20 am
Mrtravel@Sbcglo

Default Re: Savings

To clarify

The assets (net value) have to be at least 5 times of the amount of the shortage in
income. The OP indicated her husband has been building a business for the past few
years. Does the business have any assets??

If not, then you will need a cosponsor to file another I-864

Des wrote:
    >
    > Look for a co-sponsor. If you don't make the 125% poverty level (applicable to your
    > household size), your assets have to be a multiple of the difference between the
    > 125% poverty level and the actual income. Just do a search on this NG, it's been
    > discussed in depth recently, with all the relevant websites.
    >
    > - Des