San Fran..

Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default San Fran..

Just got back from a weekend in SF. I liked it, but I didn't love it. We did the whole bus tour thingy, which was pretty dissappointing. It was an automated voice recording, I feel its always better if the driver is telling you the history of where you are - they normally add a bit of personality to the tour and you get to find out some great things about a city. I can honestly say I learnt very little about SF (or maybe there isn't alot to learn - who knows?!).

Golden Gate Bridge wasn't disappointing, and the view across the Bay was spectacular. We couldn't do the Alcatraz tour as it was booked up by the time we went to get tickets, bloody tourists Haight/Ashbury area is neat - you could probably get high just walking down the street. Union Square has some great shopping and a nice central place to base yourself.

Cable cars were neat, food/resturants were ok, loads and loads and loads of homeless, weather is very changeable - be prepared and wear comfortable shoes , Train service from airport to downtown is very easy (Bart) and finally if you find yourself walking round and round trying to find a bar early on a saturday morning that may be playing a premiership game, try Jacks down in Fishermans Wharf
Attached Thumbnails San Fran..-san-francisco-april-2009-032.jpg  
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Fran..

Originally Posted by sambapink
Just got back from a weekend in SF. I liked it, but I didn't love it. We did the whole bus tour thingy, which was pretty dissappointing. It was an automated voice recording, I feel its always better if the driver is telling you the history of where you are - they normally add a bit of personality to the tour and you get to find out some great things about a city. I can honestly say I learnt very little about SF (or maybe there isn't alot to learn - who knows?!).

Golden Gate Bridge wasn't disappointing, and the view across the Bay was spectacular. We couldn't do the Alcatraz tour as it was booked up by the time we went to get tickets, bloody tourists Haight/Ashbury area is neat - you could probably get high just walking down the street. Union Square has some great shopping and a nice central place to base yourself.

Cable cars were neat, food/resturants were ok, loads and loads and loads of homeless, weather is very changeable - be prepared and wear comfortable shoes , Train service from airport to downtown is very easy (Bart) and finally if you find yourself walking round and round trying to find a bar early on a saturday morning that may be playing a premiership game, try Jacks down in Fishermans Wharf
CISCO

f***ing tourists
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Shame you didn't get to do Alcatraz, that was the best part of our trip
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
CISCO

f***ing tourists
Sorry, are you trying to make a point about me saying San Fran..?

Originally Posted by emailrob
Shame you didn't get to do Alcatraz, that was the best part of our trip

I know Rob, the next trip we could do was too late for us to catch our flight - so we just went and had cocktails instead
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:27 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Alcatraz is cool...

I share the same ambivalence about SF (as I've posted) - it seems like I should love it and I just DON'T. It's good for a visit and to see my friends, but....

whereas the pictures Manc took of his trip home, especially those of the Peak District, have me yearning to go there again.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
Sorry, are you trying to make a point about me saying San Fran..?
Yeah, in the politest way possible. Sorry for lashing out, just a pet peeve.

Glad you had a nice weekend. Sounds like it was great weather for it.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow, wouldn't like to be near you when your not being polite

Its no fun being a f***ing tourist ya know..
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:13 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

That seems to be quite a well-known peeve, I'm sure I have heard it before that some people don't like SF being called San Fran - why is that?

(that said, I find "frisco" a little hard on the ears)
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, 'frisco is almost as bad, but it has been called that by locals, (at least in the 70s!)

"San Fran" seems to be popular with the east coast crowd. Not sure why they feel the need to shorten it, they don't called New York "New Yo" or Boston "Bost", or Los Angeles "Los Ang" for that matter.

I live in Edinbu now. You should come visit.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:29 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, 'frisco is almost as bad, but it has been called that by locals, (at least in the 70s!)

"San Fran" seems to be popular with the east coast crowd. Not sure why they feel the need to shorten it, they don't called New York "New Yo" or Boston "Bost", or Los Angeles "Los Ang" for that matter.

We're not far away from grunts as conversation, are we?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:51 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I've been to Edinbu many, many times.

I imagine there is some sort of (informal) formula for when names tend to get shortened, probably related to SF having two words with the second having multiple syllables. LA gets shortened to LA rather than Los Ang so there is probably something to do with the equality between the two words as well.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

But no one was shortening it speech, only in writing, a lot of people would shorten New York, to NY or NYC. I think SF or San Fran sounds much better than 'Cisco or Frisco.

SambaPink, glad you had a relatively good trip, sorry you didn't love it. Like your photos on FB by the way, looked like you had great weather.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nethead
But no one was shortening it speech, only in writing, a lot of people would shorten New York, to NY or NYC. I think SF or San Fran sounds much better than 'Cisco or Frisco.

SambaPink, glad you had a relatively good trip, sorry you didn't love it. Like your photos on FB by the way, looked like you had great weather.
fank you my lovely
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:13 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I imagine there is some sort of (informal) formula for when names tend to get shortened, probably related to SF having two words with the second having multiple syllables. LA gets shortened to LA rather than Los Ang so there is probably something to do with the equality between the two words as well.
When we lived in London we hosted quite a lot of my wife’s family and friends for visits and they nearly all had a habit of shortening the names of certain landmarks and tourist sites in a way that I’ve never heard British people do when referring to the same places. Some examples that I remember: they would refer to Westminster Abbey simply as “Westminster”, Buckingham Palace as “Buckingham”, Trafalgar Square as “Trafalgar”, and Portobello Road Market as “Portobello”.

I’m sure if British visitors to New York were to arrive saying they wanted to “see the view from the top of the Empire” or “get the boat across to Ellis” they’d get some strange looks, at the very least.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
the pictures Manc took of his trip home, especially those of the Peak District, have me yearning to go there again.
Me too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.