San Fran..

Old Apr 25th 2009, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Fran..

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Where, oh where, can you park to take pics from Potrero Hill? I've pulled off the freeway a few times hoping to get that classic shot of downtown but have never found the 'right' place to stop. One of life's mysteries!
Try somewhere around 18th and Missouri near the Chez Papa bistro (also well worth a visit). You do usually have to stand in the middle of the road to get the best picture though.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:55 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by notacrime
All this talk of views reminds me of a bartender I met in New Zealand. We were heading to Auckland and he told us that the best view of Auckland was in your rear view mirror.
Hi:

Reminds me of an airline passenger who got a little confused and ended up on a flight to Auckland when he wanted to go to Oakland. He realized the problem when the flight got a tad long.

I don't think this is an Urban Legend -- but I'm not looking it up.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:34 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

"SF" is acceptable, although only younger people say it.

"San Fran" is the mark of a tourist; tolerated, but just.

"Frisco" will result in a public lynching. The police will not help you, and may assist the mob.

"The City" will bring smiles and nods of approval. Utter it with reverence, and there will occasional tears of joy and it may lead to free pints of Anchor Steam. Do it for the Anchor Steam.

If you really want to make friends, bellyache loudly about Los Angeles. Go on at length about how much better it is in The City, complain about the people, traffic, food and anything else that you can think of in "Smell A" and otherwise have a good whinge about the entire southern portion of the state, and you will receive a key to the city (or I suppose that would be The City) and fistfuls of cash. If there is anything that San Franciscans love more than their city, it's the opportunity to bitch about LA...
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:40 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Reminds me of an airline passenger who got a little confused and ended up on a flight to Auckland when he wanted to go to Oakland. He realized the problem when the flight got a tad long.

I don't think this is an Urban Legend -- but I'm not looking it up.
You might like this:

Britons fly to 'wrong' Sydney

An internet booking mix-up has left a young English couple holidaying in chilly Sydney, Nova Scotia, instead of on the sun-kissed beaches of the Australian city of the same name.

Emma Nunn, of Sidcup, Kent, and Raoul Christian, of Charlton, south east London, both 19, bought their tickets from an online travel agent for £740 each.

But after a six-hour flight from London's Heathrow Airport, their flight landed in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Realising they were in eastern Canada, the couple assumed they were "going the long way" because they had booked at the last minute and would soon be arriving in Sydney, Australia...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2172858.stm
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
"SF" is acceptable, although only younger people say it.

"San Fran" is the mark of a tourist; tolerated, but just.

"Frisco" will result in a public lynching. The police will not help you, and may assist the mob.

"The City" will bring smiles and nods of approval. Utter it with reverence, and there will occasional tears of joy and it may lead to free pints of Anchor Steam. Do it for the Anchor Steam.

If you really want to make friends, bellyache loudly about Los Angeles. Go on at length about how much better it is in The City, complain about the people, traffic, food and anything else that you can think of in "Smell A" and otherwise have a good whinge about the entire southern portion of the state, and you will receive a key to the city (or I suppose that would be The City) and fistfuls of cash. If there is anything that San Franciscans love more than their city, it's the opportunity to bitch about LA...
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I've visited San Francisco a few times over the years, and although I don't hate the city, its not in my favorite place to visit but some people seem to love it for one reason or another.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

I remember reading this as part of the original daily serial in The Chron. I remember the Bay Guardian noting that the only reason The Chron avoided being rated one of the ten worst newspapers in the US was that there was serious doubt that it was a newspaper in the first place.

However, it was fun to read Tales of the City along with the columnists Herb Caen and Charles McCabe. In fact, I still use Coleman's Mustard because of a long ago McCabe column praising its virtues. [Also, I miss the late Jack Smith from the Los Angeles Times. In fact, I miss the days when the Times was actually a good newspaper. At least I enjoy Sandy Banks' columns.]
Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
But no one was shortening it speech, only in writing, a lot of people would shorten New York, to NY or NYC. I think SF or San Fran sounds much better than 'Cisco or Frisco.
"San Fran" is banned. Only brit tourists or people from the east coast say that.

Normal people in San Francisco use:

SF
Bay Area
The City

That's it.

If you use any other version (SanFran, Cisco, Frisco) you sound like either a 60s leftover (and god knows there are a few of them around) or a British tourist wanker.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:05 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
"San Fran" is banned. Only brit tourists or people from the east coast say that.

Normal people in San Francisco use:

SF
Bay Area
The City

That's it.

If you use any other version (SanFran, Cisco, Frisco) you sound like either a 60s leftover (and god knows there are a few of them around) or a British tourist wanker.

Bollox and how often are you in San Fran matey
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Very often. Used to live there.

Totally qualified to make the assertion that "San Fran"= party foul.

You know when you go to, say, Fisherman's Wharf, and you see some old Brit tourist dude in sandals with socks, khaki shorts....you know what I mean....straight off the plane....you can spot them a mile off..... and in some peculiar way, it's a little, erm, embarrassing?

Yeah those guys. Those are the kind of guys who say "San Fran". My dad, basically.

The other breed that do it are the Brit and Aussie kids you find in Hollywood or Santa Monica who are trying to 'make it'. They all affect this ridiculous ex-pat 'Hollywood speak' on arrival. What are they thinking? To be fair, a lot of British celebs seem to do that too. God that shit is awful.

I'm telling you, normal, native Bay Area folks of my generation do NOT say "San Fran".
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you live on the other side of the Altamont Pass?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

You know when you go to, say, Fisherman's Wharf, and you see some old Brit tourist dude in sandals with socks, khaki shorts....you know what I mean....straight off the plane....you can spot them a mile off..... and in some peculiar way, it's a little, erm, embarrassing?

Yeah those guys. Those are the kind of guys who say "San Fran". My dad, basically.
The older generation are easy to spot. The younger a little harder.
The guys a bit easier than the girls. Usually the whitest person with a close cropped hair cut and a tee shirt one or two sizes too small.
The England or ManU shirt a dead give away.
Must say last summer I was in line chatting to an English couple the girl was a total Babe.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:13 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
Don't you live on the other side of the Altamont Pass?
Yes indeed I do mores the pity, but I work in and around San Fran everyday as a large percentage of my customers are there, or Sacramento one or the other
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

The other breed that do it are the Brit and Aussie kids you find in Hollywood or Santa Monica who are trying to 'make it'. They all affect this ridiculous ex-pat 'Hollywood speak' on arrival. What are they thinking? To be fair, a lot of British celebs seem to do that too. God that shit is awful.

I'm telling you, normal, native Bay Area folks of my generation do NOT say "San Fran".
Normal! Is there such a thing in the Bay Area?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

Klara is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes indeed I do mores the pity, but I work in and around San Fran everyday as a large percentage of my customers are there, or Sacramento one or the other
I can't stand it any longer. I actually live here and I have never heard anyone say 'San Fran'. It's a horrible expression. It's like saying you live in Mode or work in Sacra. Why are people so lazy that they cannot be bothered to say San Francisco in the appropriate context? I agree with Caleyjag on all three examples he gives. Anything else makes one sound awful but I guess that goes hand in hand with not being able to use punctuation...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.