Same Sex partnership visa

Old Nov 2nd 2018, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

mrjt1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Same Sex partnership visa

My boyfriend has been offered a transfer to Orlando through a large reputable airline. They said they’ll cover visas however today they’ve said they won’t be able to get me one as they don’t recognise same sex partnerships on the visa application! We’ve been together 11 years and happy to get married If it helps. They’ve said they’ll still do his visa request if he wants the job but we’ll have to find our own way to do mine. Are they correct re same sex relationships? If so any ideas on what we can do as we want the opportunity but only want to go out together.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Same Sex partnership visa

They aren't discriminating against same sex couples specifically, the USA doesn't grant dependent visas to couples who aren't married.

If you get married you would qualify for a dependent visa, since DOMA was ruled unconstitutional they treat everybody the same. When my (now) husband was offered a company transfer, we were engaged but had to bring our plans forward and get married so I'd qualify for an L-2 visa.

We got married and I went to the US Embassy the following week for my visa interview.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your quick response. He said we’re planning on getting married later this year before they gave this response. If we’re married would I be eligible for the visa then? I thought everything I had read said marriage would qualify so confused by their response today. When I’ve googled it I keep seeing articles about some sort of change to same sex transfer but still seemed to indicate I’d qualify. Do you think we should challenge it back? Does it matter that we’re not married prior to them offering the job?
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrjt1986
If we’re married would I be eligible for the visa then?
Yes, absolutely.

Do you think we should challenge it back?
It sounds like they may be misunderstanding the situation? Until you get married, they are correct. As soon as you are married, you will qualify.

Does it matter that we’re not married prior to them offering the job?
No.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Olly you’ve been really helpful. We’ll challenge it back and come back (if you don’t mind) for more help if they’re still saying we can’t.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 7:07 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Just get hitched.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 8:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrjt1986
Thanks Olly you’ve been really helpful. We’ll challenge it back and come back (if you don’t mind) for more help if they’re still saying we can’t.
At the moment, that can't include you in anything because you aren't married. You don't have to be married in order for them to grant a job offer and for your partner to accept it and even get his own visa. But you must be married in order for you to get the dependent visa. It doesn't matter when you get married, but you won't get a dependent visa until after you are married.

The company doesn't get your visa for you. You apply and get it yourself, since it's dependent on your partner's visa
approval.

Being same sex is not an issue at all.

Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My girl Beyonce covered this particularly well:

Old Nov 2nd 2018, 10:36 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

You Don't even have to rush the marriage. He can take the job, get his visa and you can go with him as visitor for 90 days.
marry and sort the L2 in the meantime. You can marry in US. I Don't know how long the visa will take after, but you will have to go back home for interview/ medical.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that depends on how important getting work authorisation is, a long process anyway.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
but you will have to go back home for interview/ medical.
No medical required for L visas.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 11:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said the application does not support partnerships, same sex or opposite sex. Glad you are planning on marrying so that you can continue your lives together in the US.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 2:43 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CA-NY
No medical required for L visas.
Good to know. Do you know about the time frame? I have no idea but I feel like it is not that long to get a L2 after marriage to a L1?
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 4:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Time frame just depends on how soon you can get an appointment at the embassy.

Rene
Old Feb 24th 2019, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Just to update we’re married now still waiting for visas to come through. Anyone else done a company transfer? Started process in November and still waiting. Apparently there have been some changes in law that are causing delays

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.