On the right track?

Old Mar 26th 2016, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Optionsaregood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On the right track?

First, this website has provided a lot of information.

I reviewed the various posts and Pulaski’s wiki. It looks like there is no opportunity for me to find a non-employer sponsored visa. I wanted to validate this is correct and that my continued attempt at a Uni position, via an H1B sponsored visa, is the most viable option.

I am retired military and started a new career in teaching or educational administration. I defend my PhD this summer (education). I have published a historical fiction book, with a second in process. I am a historical researcher, but more as a serious hobby although I have a history degree.

I have contacted some USA Universities, but so far have been told they don’t sponsor visas. It appears I should just keep trying this route.

I don’t have 150k plus expenses for a business opportunity. Writers don’t appear to qualify for O1 visas, which seems to require sponsors as well, but might have widened my options, possibly in history.

If I were to pursue a postdoc studies in the USA would that fall under F1 with no work opportunities? Could it fall under a J visa?

Am I on the right track?
Old Mar 26th 2016, 4:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the right track?

I think you should look at the J-1 more carefully. I don't know the details of how that visa works, but it might apply to your situation.

Just curious, though, why the interest in USA?

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2016, 6:24 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Postdocs are typically J-1, but can also be F-1 or H-1B. F-1 postdocs have some limitations. The H-1B, if that path is explored, would be cap-exempt, and not transferrable to a for-profit position.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rene and Adobe. I will definitely look into a J-1 more.

As to why the US... I was stationed with the US military for a while and liked the experience. I visited friends in the states and enjoyed my time there. I think it would be an interesting change with lots to explore.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optionsaregood
Writers don’t appear to qualify for O1 visas, which seems to require sponsors as well, but might have widened my options, possibly in history.
I'm pretty sure that not all O-1 visas require sponsorship... and you've got a published work which puts you in a better position than a simple hobbyist. Plus, you're a historical researcher with a history degree, and you'll soon have a PhD! You may not think there's anything special about any of that, but I would disagree.

Ian
Old Mar 27th 2016, 12:11 am
Just Joined

I appreciate that Ian - thanks. The bar seems so high.

It's a historical fiction book so doesn't carry the same impact as peer review publication, but I will look into an O-1 a bit further.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 12:16 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The bar seems so high.
It seems that way (operative word: seems)... but you'd be surprised by how low the bar actually is!

It's a historical fiction book so doesn't carry the same impact as peer review publication...
I understand. I'm also a doctoral student but I'm still writing my dissertation... won't be ready to defend until this time next year. Best of luck to you!

Ian
Old Mar 27th 2016, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Best of luck to you as well Ian. It is a lesson in endurance for sure.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 10:12 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

If I were to pursue a postdoc studies in the USA would that fall under F1 with no work opportunities? Could it fall under a J visa?
Post-doc would normally (though not always) come under the J1 visa, but you're only permitted to work your post-doc position. Are we talking about the same thing, though? I'm a little confused by the 'fall under F1 with no work opportunities' comment -- a post-doc role is a paid job. You're employed. That's your work.

Are you looking to explore other career routes on top of this? If so, that's an issue, because you can't take a second paid job.

It depends on your field, but I'm not sure it's worth going down the post-doc route if it's purely as a means to work in the US. When your temporary contract is up, you have no more legal rights to stay in America than when you started. (You do, of course, gain American experience on your CV, and build contacts.)

I have contacted some USA Universities, but so far have been told they don’t sponsor visas. It appears I should just keep trying this route.
I assume this is for administrative roles? I've never heard of a college not sponsoring visas for academic positions (from tenure-level to post-doc; the places are full of foreigners).
Old Mar 27th 2016, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks Moshi - that was part of my confusion on the F-1 as a postdoc was a paid option but F1 didn't appear to support that. Thanks for the clarification.

The Uni positions were academic but Visiting Professor positions of 1 - 2 years. For a tenure-level position I will need more research or a postdoc experience to be competitive.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 2:36 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Moshi - that was part of my confusion on the F-1 as a postdoc was a paid option but F1 didn't appear to support that. Thanks for the clarification
F-1 does support that, but there are hard limits on compensation / hours. I would not agree to doing a postdoc on F-1 except as a short term stopgap if you were already an F-1 student while they get a different status for you.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate that Ian - thanks. The bar seems so high.

It's a historical fiction book so doesn't carry the same impact as peer review publication, but I will look into an O-1 a bit further.
O-1A - self sponsor option - does not require sponsorship but does require a petitioner. O-1B and C are sponsored by employer. For an O-1A this can be an agent or someone that would fit the criteria as a petitioner. For my husband's latest petition, the attorney closely linked his employer and petitioner (same entity) to ensure the petition would be approved. Our first attorney interpreted the petitioner as being further removed and independent. Good luck - at least have a phone call with an attorney and see how they view your credentials.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks
Orangepants I am reviewing the O-1 criteria. After that a lawyer consult is in order.

Adobi - good information on the compensation limits for an F1.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Moshi - that was part of my confusion on the F-1 as a postdoc was a paid option but F1 didn't appear to support that. Thanks for the clarification.

The Uni positions were academic but Visiting Professor positions of 1 - 2 years. For a tenure-level position I will need more research or a postdoc experience to be competitive.
I've never met or heard of a postdoc on an F-1. The concept sounds wrong to me, because an F-1 is a student visa and a postdoc isn't a student. (Of course you could use OPT time to work as a postdoc, but that's different.)

You can get an H-1B for a visiting position. I think J-1s are maybe preferred when the funding source is external. Either way, this is a decision that the employer will make for you.

Writers can get O-1s but, as with anything O-1, it is not a trivial process.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Quite a valid point on the employer making the decision. Knowing will help me speak intelligently about it and know best options.

Now to find the right position that agrees to sponsor. Thanks