British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Returning to the USA for the first time on a green card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/returning-usa-first-time-green-card-877169/)

bullettoothtony May 8th 2016 6:31 pm

Returning to the USA for the first time on a green card

Hi everyone,
I was approved and have received my green card. Prior to this I was on an h-1b - both green card and h-1b sponsored by a university.
I am planning to leave the USA on my honeymoon for 2 weeks. The question is what documents do you need to re enter the USA if I am on a green card?
Also do I need to show my green card to anyone when I leave the USA for my honeymoon or on entry to another country (Italy)?
Thanks!

Wintersong May 8th 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Returning to the USA for the first time on a green card

You need your passport and green card to re-enter the US. Assuming you are a UK citizen, the only document you need to enter Italy is your UK passport.

Wintersong May 8th 2016 7:02 pm

Reading your last posts, it appears as though you may be thinking that you need your H1B paperwork with you? Rest assured, you don't. Once you have your green card, you are a permanent resident and are treated as such: how you got there becomes immaterial.

crg May 8th 2016 7:10 pm

Under the law, the green card itself is valid for entry without a passport. People often have a passport with them too because they need it to go to the country they are visiting.

Wintersong May 8th 2016 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by crg (Post 11942836)
Under the law, the green card itself is valid for entry without a passport. People often have a passport with them too because they need it to go to the country they are visiting.

I'd never try to do it without a passport, tbh - I'm not sure whether or not the airline would check you in for the return leg without one? It could certainly create unnecessary problems!

ian-mstm May 8th 2016 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by bullettoothtony (Post 11942808)
The question is what documents do you need to re enter the USA if I am on a green card?

You'll need your GC to enter the US and your passport to get on the plane!

... do I need to show my green card to anyone when I leave the USA for my honeymoon...
No, because there is no immigration exit control in the US.

... or on entry to another country (Italy)?
No, because Italy doesn't care that you're a PR in the US.

Ian

md95065 May 8th 2016 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 11942842)
I'd never try to do it without a passport, tbh - I'm not sure whether or not the airline would check you in for the return leg without one? It could certainly create unnecessary problems!

Absolutely! Not having a passport with you would almost certainly cause all sorts of problems, but the the fact remains that, once you actually manage to show up at the US border and seek to be admitted, the green card is all that you really need.

bullettoothtony May 8th 2016 11:18 pm

Thank you all for your replies. This clears things up for me in this regard.
Which line will I need to re enter in?

I have another question about the re entry process- I will be coming back to the USA married to a USC- we will be travelling together. Does this affect the process of re entry at all?

Noorah101 May 9th 2016 12:32 am

1. Different POEs have different lines. If you see one marked USC and one marked anything else, you'll be in the anything else line.

2. No, nothing will change.

Rene

Vimto May 9th 2016 12:50 am

The airline when you are returning to the US will ask if you have an ESTA or Green Card, they will enter the number into the USCIS system so they know to expect you at the other end.

You most probably will be in the same line as your wife for immigration as generally the US Citizens line is for permanent residents too.