Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Returning to the US with an expired Green Card?

Returning to the US with an expired Green Card?

Old Dec 18th 2019, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Richard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really nice
Default Returning to the US with an expired Green Card?

Hi,
My Green Card expires Jan 6, 2020.
I'm trying to decide between renewing it (total cost $540) and applying for US Citizenship (total cost $725).

But I will need to return to the UK in a few months, before I become a US citizen.
When I return to the US, my Green Card will have expired.

Will I still be able to get back into the US with the proof of the N-400 application?
Thank you
Old Dec 19th 2019, 12:51 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the US with an expired Green Card?

Will I still be able to get back into the US with the proof of the N-400 application?
Yes, since the card is not the status itself, it's only evidence of the status.

I'd be expecting a lecture from CBP though - and you might have some trouble with the airline being allowed to board in the UK without any obvious valid current document stating your status as an LPR.
Old Dec 19th 2019, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard92024
Hi,
My Green Card expires Jan 6, 2020.
I'm trying to decide between renewing it (total cost $540) and applying for US Citizenship (total cost $725).

But I will need to return to the UK in a few months, before I become a US citizen.
When I return to the US, my Green Card will have expired.

Thank you
I'm not sure what good proof of the N-400 application would give you - as applying for Naturalization doesn't grant you any temporary rights while it's pending, you just remain a permanent resident. I guess you could try to use it as a justification for not renewing, but like civilservant said, you'd have a hard time boarding your flight back to the US without a valid document that allows you into the country.
Old Dec 19th 2019, 6:42 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

From the Special Instructions section of this page:https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

Lost or Expiring Permanent Resident Card: If you lost your Permanent Resident Card or your card expired, you generally must still file Form I-90 even if you have applied for naturalization. However, if you properly file Form I-90 or you filed your Form N-400 at least six months before your Permanent Resident Card expired, we may issue you an Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications (ADIT) stamp as temporary proof of your lawful permanent resident status.
So it looks like you will need to renew your green card anyway before you can file N-400 as you are outside the six month period.
Old Dec 19th 2019, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

An airline will accept an expired 10 year green card to board a flight to the USA but you'll probably get grilled by CBP when you arrive, they will let you back in though.

The more concerning thing is what lizzyq posted above. It's a shame you didn't file for citizenship a few months earlier
Old Dec 19th 2019, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Richard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really nice

Many thanks for the replies!
Sounds like the best thing is to renew the Green Card (and consider Citizenship later, maybe)...
Hopefully I can get a stamp in my passport or something to allow me to leave and return to the US while the Green Card is being processed?
Old Dec 24th 2019, 1:02 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

also covers recently expired green cards...

https://uk.usembassy.gov/lost-or-stolen-green-cards/

Although regulations generally require an LPR to travel with a valid Green Card, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) policy permits a transportation carrier bound for the United States to board an LPR without carrier documentation if you:
  • Are an LPR who has an expired Green Card that was issued with a 10-year expiration date, or,
  • Are an LPR with an expired Green Card with a two-year expiration date AND you also have a Form I-797, Notice of Action, for Form I-751 or Form I-829 to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status. The Notice of Action extends the validity of the Green Card for a specified length of time, generally one year.
We encourage you to check with your airline or vessel before filing a Form I-131A.
I would apply for your replacement green card before you leave since you're going to need that for naturalisation anyway and hopefully this will mean CBP give you less grief when you arrive.
Old Dec 28th 2019, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated!