Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Returning minus a family member...

Wikiposts

Returning minus a family member...

Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all
Default Returning minus a family member...

I have posted this on another thread, but thought maybe it might be better under it's own title.

Any advice or help guys??

Been reading everyones posts with great interest - subject close to home (no pun intended!). I've been feeling incredibly homesick and have made no secret of the fact that if it were just me, I'd leave. It's not just me though. I have 3 children and I'm uncertain for them. My husband in adamant that he would stay put. So I guess my dilema over geography also involves the dilema of divorce. Tough choices to be made ahead I guess....

Anyone had this particular double whammy to deal with?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning minus a family member...

What is your status in Canada? Especially if permanent residents or citizens, you may not have the right to remove your children.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

We landed as PRs in August, I don't think he would object to the children going back to the UK. Don't think he would have considered taking on the 3 of them on his own. I think (after a couple of chats) that it is more likely that if I decide to leave, then he'll want to stay put. Life has taken off for him here, not so much for me.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
We landed as PRs in August, I don't think he would object to the children going back to the UK. Don't think he would have considered taking on the 3 of them on his own. I think (after a couple of chats) that it is more likely that if I decide to leave, then he'll want to stay put. Life has taken off for him here, not so much for me.
Hi Nicola,

Does that mean that you've been in Canada for 2 months in total? If so is there any way that you could try to stick it out for a longer period.

This could change things for you (you may begin to like it there) or for your husband (the novelty factor of his life in a new country might wear off after about a year). My hubby said he wanted to stay in Oz when I didn't, that was about 7 years ago. Within a couple of years of saying that he also wanted to leave as he'd come to realise that it was very isolated and that life wasn't just about his job success. The only reason we are still here is because our son is at a difficult age to move otherwise we would have gone back home together with our marriage intact.

I know it's not easy and that another year feels like a lifetime right now, but if you have a good marriage then it's worth the sacrifice.

Good luck with everything Nicola.

Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi BB, we've actually been here 2 yrs already, we came on a temporary work permit in 2007.

I have bouts of chronic homesickness, miss family and friends so much. Hubby never really had 'loads' of friends, a couple of close-ish mates and he doesn't exactly have a great relationship with his family. So he doesn't feel he has 'left' anything.

Not quite the same for me. Thanks for your comments.