Wikiposts

Retiring to the US

Old Nov 19th 2006, 3:25 am
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to the US

Originally Posted by Ray
12 million mexicans disagree
12 million Mexicans may be giving Uncle Sam the finger but he doesnt actually condone it (at least not publicly).
Old Nov 19th 2006, 3:30 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

the fact of the matter is, I also wouldn't wanna invest my life's worth into a trailer (why buy a trailer anyways........) and then leave yourself open to be kicked out at any moment.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 3:39 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
the fact of the matter is, I also wouldn't wanna invest my life's worth into a trailer (why buy a trailer anyways........) and then leave yourself open to be kicked out at any moment.

And doesn't Uncle Sam keep a large chunk of equity sale profits if one is not a USC?
Old Nov 19th 2006, 4:06 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
And doesn't Uncle Sam keep a large chunk of equity sale profits if one is not a USC?
Doesn't matter - trailers depreciate anyway.

OP: If you can't get a real house, don't do it! You'll freeze to death in the winter, boil in the summer, deafened in the next hailstorm, get swept downstream in the next flood, and blown to the moon on the next windstorm.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 4:12 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Spaces available at this mobile home park

Old Nov 19th 2006, 4:16 am
stheleny

stheleny is a glorious beacon of lightstheleny is a glorious beacon of lightstheleny is a glorious beacon of lightstheleny is a glorious beacon of lightstheleny is a glorious beacon of lightstheleny is a glorious beacon of lightstheleny is a glorious beacon of lightstheleny is a glorious beacon of lightstheleny is a glorious beacon of lightstheleny is a glorious beacon of lightstheleny is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.
It's not going to happen, I guess. I'm not a big earner and it's just going to cost too much on my own.
BUT....I've just spoken to my best friend up in Lake County and she says she'll marry me if same-sex marriages become legal. And she says another (male) friend would marry me to help me out. So my dream may come true by the time I reach 65.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 4:19 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stheleny
...I've just spoken to my best friend up in Lake County and she says she'll marry me if same-sex marriages become legal. And she says another (male) friend would marry me to help me out. So my dream may come true by the time I reach 65.

I am not going to get into the (il-)legalities of that...

But what were you planning to do about your medical expenses?
Old Nov 19th 2006, 4:19 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

It's not going to happen, I guess. I'm not a big earner and it's just going to cost too much on my own.
BUT....I've just spoken to my best friend up in Lake County and she says she'll marry me if same-sex marriages become legal. And she says another (male) friend would marry me to help me out. So my dream may come true by the time I reach 65.
Now you in to the realms of crininal conspiracy ...not a
thing to joke about ....
Old Nov 19th 2006, 4:24 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray
Now you in to the realms of crininal conspiracy ...not a
thing to joke about ....

Or are we dealing with a sub-bridge dweller?
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:20 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome!

Hopefully you were joking about this in which case put a nice smilie face after your comment next time so that we know you are.

I hear what you are saying and to a degree I understand what you mean. You have friends in CA, the weather for the most part is better than in Britain and so on. There is nothing wrong with having a dream and trying to make that dream come true no matter what your age. The problems accomplishing this goal though will far outweigh the easy times. Do you have any family in Britain? If you are alone and in an area that is too isloated and dismal in the winter then I would definately reccomend that you move, just not necessarily to the US.
If you have enough money to hop over and visit with your friends once or twice a year for a couple of weeks/ months and then return home this might be a better solution. It would give you something to look forward to and if you did it during the winter then that would be less time that you would have to endure the British winters.

Would you be willing to look elsewhere in Britain to move to? There are so many beautiful places to live and areas that would definately raise your spirits during those drab times of year. Not knowing how old you are is difficult but if you are retired then look into day trips with other seniors, they can be a lot of fun and help you to make new friends.

Good luck!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:22 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Impossible for me to live in the immediate San Francisco area, far too expensive. So I'm looking for somewhere in NorCal within fairly easy reach of SF. I picked Stockton at random, just to see what home prices are like in that area.
there are obvious reasons why some places appear to be very cheap. I would look into it if I were you re crime rates etc why is it cheaper. And you do know that mobile homes here, more the community are largely more crime etc and as a female alone I'd be worried living there.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't give up so easy. By the time you retire one of your friends might be single and want someone to share her place with her. Or perhaps you already what a single friend already who would be willing to have the roommate. Nice to have the company and someone to share the cost with as well.

Old Nov 19th 2006, 1:00 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yes and sometimes they do come true...............
And sometimes when dreams come true you feel like shooting the bloody fairy godmother that made it happen......
Old Nov 19th 2006, 1:44 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You'll feel more isolated in the states as there's less to do for the elderly, unless you join the VFW type thing....you'll have to drive everywhere unless you live in down town boston, san fran etc....northcal ain't that cheap, trailers are crap, and it gets hot and humid out there too...well hot anyway.

without the rights to work here, unless your doing the dodge like picking potatoes, blueberries or anything else that is back breaking, you won't stand a chance and it'll get you deported if you get caught.

medical insurance will be your biggest issue, followed by credit history, meaning getting electric, phone, mobile phone, insurance etc will be a pain in the arse and expensive.

The only thing going for you at the mo is the ex-change rate, but you'd still have to be minted to move over and not work....probably get off moving to greece or spain if all you want is the weather.

VFW-Veterans of Foreign Wars!!! Bob, she's a she.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 3:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
VFW-Veterans of Foreign Wars!!! Bob, she's a she.
It's just a hang out for either old farts or drunks to play bingo...well around the last few places i've seen at least *lol*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.