Retired UK citizens

Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

John_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retired UK citizens

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thereafter $50k/ year (average) for medical insurance and healthcare costs incl deductibles, copays, non-covered fees and non-covered drug costs (note: medical insurance typically does NOT cover all medical costs).
Is this what you spend? Can you please explain how you got to this amount? Most people that I know have a health insurance ranging from USD 1000 to USD 2000 a month that basically covers hospitalization, cancer treatments etc. Various non-covered out patient doctor visits, medication etc let's say an additional few thousand a year for a generally healthy person?

Can you be more specific please?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

John_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
True, but most people of retirement age are able to get a B-2 visa which allows a 6-month stay in the USA.

Rene
Every year? I was not aware of that.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_K.
Every year? I was not aware of that.
Yes...basically 6 months in the USA, 6 months outside the USA, each year. Probably being careful not so spend more than 180 days inside the USA per calendar year, so as not to be liable to file a US tax return.

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes...basically 6 months in the USA, 6 months outside the USA, each year. Probably being careful not so spend more than 180 days inside the USA per calendar year, so as not to be liable to file a US tax return.

Rene
Interesting. I did not think that it was that easy to get a B-2 every year.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are old enough (retirement age), can prove you have a residence outside the USA that you don't intend to abandon, and can prove you have the funds for your trip(s), a B-2 is generally granted.

You don't have to get a new B-2 every year. Usually a B-2 visa is valid for 10 years, multiple entry.

It's difficult to get a B-2 visa if you are NOT of retirement age (think 20's, 30's, or 40's), and are eligible to use the VWP.

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

A "normal" B-2 is valid for multiple entries for ten years. It's the folks with criminal etc issues that tend to get just one year validity. Although if they build up a record of compliance with immigration law and no further criminal violations, ConOffs have the discretion to issue multiple-entry B-2s valid up to five years I believe.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Is this what you spend? ..... Can you be more specific please?
I was throwing some numbers out there for people of, or approaching, retirement age who are NOT going to be eligible for medicare. Is it possible that there costs might be less than $50k, sure, especially in the short term. BUT (i) they are only going to get older and insurance premiums will rise, and likely accelerate as increased age compounds with inflation, and (ii) even if costs are less, they're not going to be a lot less. IMO it is better to budget for $50k, and find that it is actually $35k, than to presume it will be $35k and have a financial crisis when it turns out to be $50k.

BTW. $35k will be $50k in six years if medical costs and insurance premiums increase at 8% per annum.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all for your replies. Very helpful.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

David_Ascher is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I think that the subject matter of this thread has probably been exhausted now. It seems as though our options lie in a possible new S.744/Y Visa Bill at some stage in the future or maybe we should re-think our options and try to obtain a B-2 Visa to extend our stay to 6 months per calendar year. In the latter instance, do we buy a property or rent for 6 months? Hmmm, something else to ponder.

Anyway folks, thanks a bunch for all your helpful answers. I wish we could live amongst you all but it does seems that the US government are making it extremely hard for people of means and good intentions to do so. Again, thanks & goodbye for now, David
Old Apr 25th 2013, 8:28 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed - an immigrant does need to bring more to the table than their charm and good will in order to be granted the priviledge of living in the USA. One cannot live here simply because they want to live here.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by David_Ascher
I wish we could live amongst you all but it does seems that the US government are making it extremely hard for people of means and good intentions to do so.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Apr 25th 2013 at 8:44 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 8:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I think that the subject matter of this thread has probably been exhausted now. It seems as though our options lie in a possible new S.744/Y Visa Bill at some stage in the future or maybe we should re-think our options and try to obtain a B-2 Visa to extend our stay to 6 months per calendar year. In the latter instance, do we buy a property or rent for 6 months? Hmmm, something else to ponder.

Anyway folks, thanks a bunch for all your helpful answers. I wish we could live amongst you all but it does seems that the US government are making it extremely hard for people of means and good intentions to do so. Again, thanks & goodbye for now, David
It's not the only the US who makes it difficult. We would like to retire to Canada...even a have daughter who has lived there for the last 10 years...but it's not easy.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thereafter $50k/ year (average) for medical insurance and healthcare costs incl deductibles, copays, non-covered fees and non-covered drug costs (note: medical insurance typically does NOT cover all medical costs). Leaving $50k/yr to live on. Even if you buy a home for cash, allow, say $1k/ mth minimum for house costs- some combination of HOA or condo fees, taxes, repairs. For gas and electric think $300/ mth average year round minimum, with more for gas or electric (AC) depending on how far north/ south you live. Car insurance is probably going to start around 2k/yr/ vehicle, though that may drop to around half that after 3-4 yrs.
I believe that with 10 years (ie 40 quarters) of contributions one gets Medicare at 62 or 65 years of age. Also if the immigrant is older than 64 years of age they are not offered insurance from private companies. I know I really look it up and there is nothing out there, except what is called “bridge insurance” good for five years from entry as immigrant.
This is bare bones insurance and really not very good, but once the five years are up you can buy coverage from Medicare. Right now the cost is something over $400 a month, which is very reasonable by any standard.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 9:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, because I didn't make this clear at the starting post, although we are retired, we are both in our late 50's NOT late 60's as one might have expected. We were fortunate enough to have been able to retire very early. Would this have an effect on medical health premiums which seem to be the main theme that is running through all postings on this matter. Cheers, David
My wife and I retired to the US when I was 58 and she 56. We are now 65 and 63. She is a USC so getting a visa wasn't an issue.

We have paid for our own medical insurance in the years we have been here. As medical costs are tax deductible we keep good records of our expenses. My wife is diabetic and hence we buy her insurnace from the Oregon State high risk pool which charges normal rate plus 25%. In the 2012 tax year out total medical expenses, including insurance, co-pays, deductibles eye glass etc was $17,400. That was just for what I would call everyday health expenses, no hospital visits or stays.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
My wife and I retired to the US when I was 58 and she 56. We are now 65 and 63. She is a USC so getting a visa wasn't an issue.

We have paid for our own medical insurance in the years we have been here. As medical costs are tax deductible we keep good records of our expenses. My wife is diabetic and hence we buy her insurnace from the Oregon State high risk pool which charges normal rate plus 25%. In the 2012 tax year out total medical expenses, including insurance, co-pays, deductibles eye glass etc was $17,400. That was just for what I would call everyday health expenses, no hospital visits or stays.
As KCK_DR indicates you should now be able to get Medicare. You will have to pay the Part A premium (which is the part that most people get free) as well as the Part B premium and any additional supplement or advantage plan. Part A premium is about $450 per month, Part B is around $120 depending upon income, and the Supplement or Advantage plan can run anywhere from $0 to over $200 depending upon the plan, age, and state of residence.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

As KCK_DR indicates you should now be able to get Medicare. You will have to pay the Part A premium (which is the part that most people get free) as well as the Part B premium and any additional supplement or advantage plan. Part A premium is about $450 per month, Part B is around $120 depending upon income, and the Supplement or Advantage plan can run anywhere from $0 to over $200 depending upon the plan, age, and state of residence.
I believe that Lansbury is well aware of this as you will see if you read his recent posts regarding the trials and tribulations that he experienced when applying for Medicare ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.